2022/23 Sean Dyche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dyche = guaranteed mid-table mediocrity.
Good!! We have just been nearly relegated 2 years on the bounce. Mid table mediocrity is now our aspiration short term. Really sorry that modern fans want every single team to be a Man City clone, but it isn't on the cards. Let Dyche get us safely and boringly into the new stadium, and an improved financial situation and kick on from there

Good!! We have just been nearly relegated 2 years on the bounce. Mid table mediocrity is now our aspiration short term. Really sorry that modern fans want every single team to be a Man City clone, but it isn't on the cards. Let Dyche get us safely and boringly into the new stadium, and an improved financial situation and kick on from there
This is an horrific misquote, I stated, quite clearly, that I did not think this club + Dyche guaranteed mid-table mediocrity. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by making it looked like that's what I said, but you need to stop it. Dyche may well get us the 14th place you crave but, based on his and our recent history, we're just as likely to be fighting it out for 17th next May.

Like all the pundits I thought we were down when Frank took us into the bottom two. We had already played all the really poor sides twice and we were in abysmal form. And we were of course without a recognised centre-forward.

He did the impossible and for that I thank him.

Some have said that if we keep Dyche on in the long-term that he might 'only' deliver us the odd European challenge, the odd Derby win and some cup runs. I'd take that in a heartbeat right now!

Spot on!

I’ve flip flopped again.

I’m prepared to give Sean another season. He talks a good game. Let’s see whether he can deliver!

Like all the pundits I thought we were down when Frank took us into the bottom two. We had already played all the really poor sides twice and we were in abysmal form. And we were of course without a recognised centre-forward.

He did the impossible and for that I thank him.

Some have said that if we keep Dyche on in the long-term that he might 'only' deliver us the odd European challenge, the odd Derby win and some cup runs. I'd take that in a heartbeat right now!
Anyone claiming they know what Dyche "might" deliver is nothing more than utter guesswork pulled out of their backside.

In his dozen years as a manager he's gotten into Europe once (a good achievement tbf), don't think he's ever had any notable cup runs - certainly not won any trophies with a Prem team. He is an "okay" level manager but there is clearly a reason why no ambitious club or top half level team has ever entertained hiring him.

Whilst I don't think he had quite the 'Mission Impossible' job some people are making out, he did what he was tasked with doing and will no doubt steady the ship ahead of the BMD move. I doubt he'll be the manager long term, but the club is not thinking long term. Chances are he'll bring a couple of his own style players in during the summer and we'll have a "functional" season, plodding along to a 13th-15th ish place finish which will do just fine for the board/owner.

If they don't, then what happened at Burnley is most certainly a possibility. If they do, and it goes wrong, then we end up with another horribly unbalanced squad. Our route out of this is narrow, I don't have the optimism that others do that this club + Dyche = guaranteed mid-table mediocrity.
What happened at Burnley is the owners pulled the plug ,basically got the club debt sorted, took the parachute payment and started again.
They spent nothing the beginning of that season, whole squad had cost less than about three of are players, it works out about 9 million a year net spend at the beginning of that season , he had spent in the years before, add in the sales of woods and Pope that year and it bring even that figures down
They lost 17 profession players from the club at the end of that season plus the loan players going back. including first team players of many years , like MEE, Tarkowski sold Mcneal , Pope, Woods, ect who have mostly gone on to play decent for there current clubs in the prem, something the new lot haven't.
Hardly something to beat Dysce up with , he has come in and Done a remarkable job, given the tools at his disposable , no garrentee that he gets backed to go the next stage,but that goes for anybody else that comes in , making unrealistic claims that anyone can magic up a solution to are current predicament is just pie in the sky.
Name me the people that can do a better job, garrenteed to go upwards?
That will come to a club that has hung on to there place in the prem by the skin of there teeth the last two seasons, with no money behind them .
Were crap, the club is in turmoil who exactly will be banging on the door for the job with any proven pedigree, better than the current manager.
Do I think he is the best manager around no.
The man for right now for where the club is at Yes.

Last edited:
He got to do way better than 40 points next season. My expectation is 50points considering the possibilities of 5 to 10 points deduction coming our way.

His current record of 1 point per game is not going to be enough. Having said that, I don’t think any manager can come in and magically hit 50 points with this squad.

No they can't, but other teams do improve by 15-20 points if they get the combination of manager, players and pre-season right. We are not that far off.
Say we get a good competitive LB, Coady, get Branthwaite back, a creative midfielder and a striker - that's maybe around £60m - and we sell / get rid of a few, then we're doing much better. I'm talking decent Championship standard, or young up and coming players. If we sell Onana or Pickford, it changes things, cos we can get 2 players in for their money.

He may well stabilise us short term,we will have to see if he can "kick us on",must admit I have reservations on that.
I don't think it's about 'kicking on' really Dario, he seems to be a safe pair of hands and gets the best out of an average squad. Given our finances, I'm all for a steady, boring, midtable season next year, while the club tries to heal itself (hopefully).

What happened at Burnley is the owners pulled the plug ,basically got the club debt sorted, took the parachute payment and started again.
They lost 17 profession players from the club at the end of that season plus the loan players going back. including first team players of many years , like MEE, Tarkowski sold Mcneal , Pope, Woods, ect who have mostly gone on to play decent for there current clubs in the prem, something the new lot haven't.
Hardly something to beat Dysce up with , he has come in and Done a remarkable job, given the tools at his disposable , no garrentee that he gets backed to go the next stage,but that goes for anybody else that comes in , making unrealistic claims that anyone can magic up as solution to are current predicament is just pie in the sky.
Name me the people that can do a better job, garrenteed to go upwards?
That will come to a club that has hung on to there place in the prem by the skin of there teeth the last two seasons, with no money behind them .
Were crap, the club is in turmoil who exactly will be banging on the door for the job with any proven pedigree, better than the current manager.
I'm not 100% sure what you think I'm trying to say here but, for clarity, we aren't a million miles away from the situation Burnley were in in their relegation season (unbalanced squad, financial problems, asset managing new owners - this one is yet to be confirmed admittedly, no real money to spend, a couple of years of relegation struggle) and Dyche had no answer, they were in freefall. Yet many people, including yourself, seem completely sure, with so little doubt that anyone expressing a more cautious opinion is taken to task, that Dyche will not only avoid the relegation battle with us but that he will do it comfortably. All I'm asking for is the reasons you believe that is the case?

We have looked good at times in an attacking sense under Dyche. Give him some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.