2022/23 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with 'past his best for a few years now', but should have left last summer? What - and leave his club even worse off in the RB department? It's not his fault he hasn't been adequately replaced. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Patterson but yes we need another RB too if we hope to improve all areas of the pitch but until there are better options I have no problem with Seamus staying and triyng his best. Would I offer him a new contract now? No. But seeing as he is currently under contract and we haven't brought in enough to make him surplus to requirements he ends up being required at times and having to do his best. Is his best the standard it was before his injury and before time caught up with him? Of course not. And yet he still pulls on the blue jersey goes out and makes an honest account of himself. I will happily criticize his performance (and that of any other player) if it warrants it, but to criticize home for still being here and walking out onto the pitch when selected is bizarre. We need better now sure, but he has been outstanding for many years for us in the past and is still trying his best to do a job when called upon when we have failed to make better options available. Deserves nothing but respect.
it was pointless him leaving, for the club, he is worth much more as a back up/mentor to Patterson, and a good sort to have around the place. Yeah he isntas good as he was a few years ago but he still has good performances in him. He did well today, his pace has dropped off but his experience buys him a yard sometimes. We shut out the league's top team who have only been shut out once before this season. Seamus is good people and he can see out his playing days here for me. .

Last edited:
Put in a cracking cross after an overlapping run, that DCL should've really scored from. Thought he defended against Martinelli really well. All about timing and positioning. Top class yesterday. Dyche will know he can trust him without even having to think about it.

I think Coleman was brilliant yesterday- rolled back the years.

If we stay up then I think it’s imperative we sign a ready made right back in the summer. Patterson just isn’t ready yet, I think a full season on loan in the championship would do him wonders- if we go down then obviously it’s null and void.

Put in a cracking cross after an overlapping run, that Dominic Calvert-Lewin should've really scored from. Thought he defended against Martinelli really well. All about timing and positioning. Top class yesterday. Dyche will know he can trust him without even having to think about it.

Nail on the head.

I think Coleman was brilliant yesterday- rolled back the years.

If we stay up then I think it’s imperative we sign a ready made right back in the summer. Patterson just isn’t ready yet, I think a full season on loan in the championship would do him wonders- if we go down then obviously it’s null and void.

Best post in the thread. He's a rock.

Moves. should be made now to have a new right back lined up. Let seamus retire in the summer and then, depending on our position, its either we bring in a Premier League ready right back and Patterson goes out on loan. Or, in the unthinkable we get relegated, keep Patterson and maybe bring in a second right back, older, and used to the championship

Agree with 'past his best for a few years now', but should have left last summer? What - and leave his club even worse off in the RB department? It's not his fault he hasn't been adequately replaced. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Patterson but yes we need another RB too if we hope to improve all areas of the pitch but until there are better options I have no problem with Seamus staying and triyng his best. Would I offer him a new contract now? No. But seeing as he is currently under contract and we haven't brought in enough to make him surplus to requirements he ends up being required at times and having to do his best. Is his best the standard it was before his injury and before time caught up with him? Of course not. And yet he still pulls on the blue jersey goes out and makes an honest account of himself. I will happily criticize his performance (and that of any other player) if it warrants it, but to criticize home for still being here and walking out onto the pitch when selected is bizarre. We need better now sure, but he has been outstanding for many years for us in the past and is still trying his best to do a job when called upon when we have failed to make better options available. Deserves nothing but respect.
RB is a priority area in the summer. LB not far behind that either.

Fair reply ;)...I was wrong with my comments on him

Should have made 2 fouls that would have prevented both goals.
Why risk giving them a run when you are so slow, take the foul. So experienced as well.

Fantastic servant to the club an all, and hero to many I’m sure. But is now a terrible right back, and an even worse captain. Nice that he has new players over for tea, but has never had the ability to drive anything extra from his teammates (or the ref) during a game. Used to at least lead by example not words, but that doesn’t work when you aren’t rock solid yourself. Another legacy slowly ruined.

Status
Not open for further replies.