2021/22 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've suggested a couple of times that he should be used just as a defender now without bombing forward, but I'm not seeing
anyone agree. He's still a good defender, imo, and right now Everton needs a solid RB.

Bearing in mind now that Ireland has no chance to qualify hopefully he will be rested for the next fixtures...no point really to play him

He did really well last night as it happens, real captains performance. Ireland were outdone by fatigue and a referee determined to make sure Ronaldo was the headline.
Ref was a digrace. Could have sent Ronaldo off and bottled an Ireland pen that would have made it 2 nil. Waited for Ronaldo to score the winner way over injury time. Coleman played very well all night.

Seems like he had a very solid game last night. I do worry about his ability to play 3 matches in 6 or 7 days at this stage of his career, but that's the scheduling more than anything. I don't agree with these triple headers at all. Especially the fact some countries are forced to fill a gap with a meaningless friendly.

Such a shame that that last minute winner ends his chance of ever playing in a World Cup. Still a very good full back.
Never even thought of that. Ireland have been poor now for a while though. We can't afford to be losing the likes of Rice & grealish.

Don't mean this in a disrespectful way but they aren't Irish players to lose mate. Serious question, would you rather the Irish team be full of Irish players but not that good or littered with Irish/English and he half decent?
I don’t think you mean to be disrespectful, but your comment is a bit ignorant.
I believe both players played for Ireland teams at youth level.
Nationality is not straight forward. Country of birth, where you grew up, where you’ve lived a long time, where you are proud of, where your parents came from … can all play a part.
In football, it’s also about where is your best chance of success.
Grealish and Rice both chose England. Good luck to them, but anyone who saw the excitement of the Jack charlton Era would take a few anglo Irish players of quality over some in the squad now.

Status
Not open for further replies.