2021/22 Seamus Coleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
The drill for the old Dublin ESC was

9pm Meet for a few quick pints in Keating's Store Street
Down to the North Wall for 10.15 pm ferry
Pints and sing song until bar closed at 1 a.m.
Grab a gew hours wherever you could - they usually wouldn't let us sleep in the bar so usually a bench in the cafe - I remember the light brown colour of the plastic covering - still comfortable enough
7.30 a.m. arrive in Liverpool and get free shuttle to Lime Street. Get breakfast in some greasy spoon and wait for the shops to open.
Do shopping - I always had a list from my sister who had young kids, and there was no Mothercare in Dublin back then - a bit embarrassing but....
Head to the Devonshire Pub for a few pints - opened at 11.30 a.m.
Kitty, the landlady would mind our bags in a back room.
Down to GP to get a programme, then pay £1.90 cash to get into the Street End.
After the match pints in Winslow, then Devonshire, then share taxis back to centre.
A few more pints in the Midland waiting for the shuttle bus back to the Ferry
10.15 pm depart and as above pints until 1a.m.
7.30 am arrive Dublin
As a good young lad I used to go with my best mate (RIP Tommy) to early Mass in the Pro Cathedral and my dear Ma would meet us afterwards and bring us home - Tommy lived three doors away.

Those were the days. I think a return ferry ticket was about IR£15. Today we fly and stay in a hotel. Total costs for a trip for the three of us is around €1,000 !! that includes meals and shopping.

The Leinster - this was my favourite as it was the most stable
View attachment 167421

i remember going to a home match in January 81 on the old Munster. One of the crew who had been travelling the route for 11 years said it was the worst storm he had sailed in. It was 1-1 until Arsenal grabbed a winner right at the death. Eamonn O'Keeffe scored for us.

View attachment 167422
Jeezus, I've added that up and I make it 237 pints in 36 hours! Brilliant stuff though.

Brilliant wasn't he? 15 seasons!

18 goals in a span of 6 of the seasons. Before his leg snapped in two.

You just gotta respect him. Don't you?
Certainly was mate. I remember his debut like it was yesterday from my old spec in the park end. Also fondly remember his screamer after a long drive to Swansea.

Sadly father time waits for no man and that fearless young warrior is now a hesitant bag of nerves.

Certainly was mate. I remember his debut like it was yesterday from my old spec in the park end. Also fondly remember his screamer after a long drive to Swansea.

Sadly father time waits for no man and that fearless young warrior is now a hesitant bag of nerves.
Say it to his face kirkdale

Jeezus, I've added that up and I make it 237 pints in 36 hours! Brilliant stuff though.

I remember a trip to the United game at home the week before the 1984 Cup Final. I started the evening at Tolka Park for the FAI Cup Final replay Rovers v UCD. UCD snatched the winner in the last minute. I ran to meet my Dad and Brother in law in Gardiner Street and Dad drove to the North Wall.

Once the bar opened at 10.15, I started to drown my sorrows and get in the mood for GP. The three of us started a sing song, and this guy who said he was a Galway publican kept bringing us pints - "keep up the singing lads and I'll get the beer". We had a skinful before the bar closed at 1 a.m.

I will never forget my dear old Dad was gasping for a cure waiting for the Devonshire to open at 11.30 a.m. - he was never an early drinker!!

Great match - Robbie Wakenshaw put us ahead but Stapleton equalised with a screamer - 1-1

Anyway I think we went straight back to Kitty in the Devonshire. My memory is I was drinking Bass Brew X - not as strong as Guinness I think. A couple more in the Midland then rinse and repeat on the ferry home.

Poor Dad went straight to bed when we got home :) I miss him so much even 13 years after he passed.

“I have never seen humility like it, in my time in football.

“I heard a lot of good things about Seamus before I came to the club. He has gone there and beyond. I have never met anyone who has his morals and standards and he is an incredible player. You talk about legends of football clubs and he is certainly one of those.” Frank Lampard

But what would he know?

“I heard a lot of good things about Seamus before I came to the club. He has gone there and beyond. I have never met anyone who has his morals and standards and he is an incredible player. You talk about legends of football clubs and he is certainly one of those.” Frank Lampard

But what would he know?

I love this! I hope Frank goes on to be a great manager for us!

Behave. The man is nothing but a legend. It may be true about age, but is it his fault that the club is so badly run that he has had to continue to this day, some six plus years after a terrible career threatening injury.
But continue he does, and still makes himself available while keeping in the best of fitness he can. He is an object lesson to all, not only as the consummate professional, but also as an inspirational role model for any walk of life.

See the post from @Bluerover above regarding the statement from Frank Lampard about the man.

Behave. The man is nothing but a legend. It may be true about age, but is it his fault that the club is so badly run that he has had to continue to this day, some six plus years after a terrible career threatening injury.
But continue he does, and still makes himself available while keeping in the best of fitness he can. He is an object lesson to all, not only as the consummate professional, but also as an inspirational role model for any walk of life.

See the post from @Bluerover above regarding the statement from Frank Lampard about the man.
I have to say I have been very good friends with all the people I have seen that mate I have been a good friend for the past two weeks now so no worries if we can do that though as I will probably need the hard drive back from my old one to the best mate so I will have a good watch with my wife and dad for the night.

One can talk sense to someone with a wooden leg. One cannot talk sense to someone with a wooden head.

But what would he know?

Read that story earlier and first thing I thought was Seamus has spilled the beans on what an absolute shambles the club has been in. Can only imagine the general morale under you know who as he turfed out popular players. Whether they needed turfing out is one thing, the manner it appeared to be done in though ?….

I have to say I have been very good friends with all the people I have seen that mate I have been a good friend for the past two weeks now so no worries if we can do that though as I will probably need the hard drive back from my old one to the best mate so I will have a good watch with my wife and dad for the night.
Any chance of the odd bit of punctuation, mate? Appropriate commas and the odd full stop make things so much more readable, yanno.

Status
Not open for further replies.