SCRAP VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rip it up and start again.
Has to be clear and obvious.
Only onfield officials make the final call. Sure have somebody say, have a look at this. But that is as far as that goes. 20 seconds to make the call from reaching the monitor. Anything more and it is not clear and obvious.
Cant be used for offside, unless it is an obvious mistake may have been made.
No toenail stuff. A serious doubt as to if somebody is onside or not.

Saying that.
I would even change the offside rule where there is no offside in the final 18 yards of the pitch. If the ball is within that 18 yards, offside is not a thing.
Sommat like Hawkeye could easily make that call. Within that area, ref/linesman gets a buzz on the watch.

It would just simplify the whole offside rule, which at the moment is a joke, if you were offside just by your boots.

Fully expecting absolutely disgraceful VAR calls that rule out goals for Chelsea (vs Fulham), Liverpool (vs Wolves) and United (vs Palace) this weekend, all of which have no impact whatsoever on the result of the games yet are intended to make it look like even the big teams suffer from the same problems as the 'smaller' ones.

Fully expecting absolutely disgraceful VAR calls that rule out goals for Chelsea (vs Fulham), Liverpool (vs Wolves) and United (vs Palace) this weekend, all of which have no impact whatsoever on the result of the games yet are intended to make it look like even the big teams suffer from the same problems as the 'smaller' ones.
No doubt. Ohhhhh let’s even it up.

Rip it up and start again.
Has to be clear and obvious.
Only onfield officials make the final call. Sure have somebody say, have a look at this. But that is as far as that goes. 20 seconds to make the call from reaching the monitor. Anything more and it is not clear and obvious.
Cant be used for offside, unless it is an obvious mistake may have been made.
No toenail stuff. A serious doubt as to if somebody is onside or not.

Saying that.
I would even change the offside rule where there is no offside in the final 18 yards of the pitch. If the ball is within that 18 yards, offside is not a thing.
Sommat like Hawkeye could easily make that call. Within that area, ref/linesman gets a buzz on the watch.
To me, this is a big part of the problem. They do have that power of course (see Oliver at Forest), but as was highlighted on MOTD, at Newcastle a younger ref bowed to the senior VAR refs superior judgement (?)

Unless it’s a clear cut ‘fact’ e.g. offside by a foot, then it boils down to one referees opinion against another when looking at challenges, so if the onfield ref looks at the monitor and thinks “I didn’t make a mistake there” he should stick to his guns and ignore ‘experienced’ idiots like Mason.

Does anybody say "that's a goal if it's Everton at Goodison"? No

Do people say, "that's a goal if it's Liverpool at Anfield"? Yes

That right there is all the proof needed that there is a giant perception issue with the referees.

I would argue it is more than a perception issue, but it is at least that, that is inarguable.

On the Conor Coady goal, VAR made it seem much tighter than it looked in real time. The moment of contact of foot on ball or the appearance of contact of foot on ball is multiple frames and because they only ever show 1 of those, we know we can be lied to.

They have an interest in making it seem as close as possible so as to highlight the difficulty of the referees job.

At the same time, there is certainly a vested interest in some of the favouritism and keeping narratives going. Always follow the money.

Conor Coady was definitely offside, because as others have mentioned, attempting to block a shot or save a goal is not considered a reason to exempt a player from an offside position.

The red card not given, tho...

I am intrigued to see how this semi automated offside works at the world cup. If it is successful I would implement that and scrap the rest of var, it has utterly failed.

Automated offside and goal line technology is all we need in football, leave the rest to the refs, if they get it wrong so what, it can't get any worse than this.

Does anybody say "that's a goal if it's Everton at Goodison"? No

Do people say, "that's a goal if it's Liverpool at Anfield"? Yes

That right there is all the proof needed that there is a giant perception issue with the referees.

I would argue it is more than a perception issue, but it is at least that, that is inarguable.

On the Conor Coady goal, VAR made it seem much tighter than it looked in real time. The moment of contact of foot on ball or the appearance of contact of foot on ball is multiple frames and because they only ever show 1 of those, we know we can be lied to.

They have an interest in making it seem as close as possible so as to highlight the difficulty of the referees job.

At the same time, there is certainly a vested interest in some of the favouritism and keeping narratives going. Always follow the money.

Conor Coady was definitely offside, because as others have mentioned, attempting to block a shot or save a goal is not considered a reason to exempt a player from an offside position.

The red card not given, tho...
there my friend, is confirmation bias.

One of the first things they should do is to give managers the power to challenge the ref a la NFL.
The only time VAR is used is when a manager challenges a refs decision or lack there of.
Each manager gets 3 chances to challenge. If the challenge fails, the team lose a sub. No subs left, no ability to challenge.
Works better now that you have 5 subs.
I get that it doesn't fix the issue of poor decisions from the VAR refs but it does mean the likes of the VVD tackle would go to VAR (if lampard wanted it to).
Maybe if refs get it wrong they pick up points similar to bookings.
Combine this system with goal line tech and the new offside chip tech and the game might flow a bit better.
Also, mic up the conversation between the ref and VAR.

I am intrigued to see how this semi automated offside works at the world cup. If it is successful I would implement that and scrap the rest of var, it has utterly failed.

Automated offside and goal line technology is all we need in football, leave the rest to the refs, if they get it wrong so what, it can't get any worse than this.
I'm not really a big fan of those "toenails offsides" which will be very common thing with this thing.

What's the advantage of the attacker if he's 5 centimeters behind the defender?

Do football really need that?

Status
Not open for further replies.