Transfer Rumour Santiago Sosa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks a promising player, will be good to see him against the better teams in this comp
Genuinely curious as to what part of this performance you’ve seen as impressive? He’s doing a job but he’s not been tackling really, sporadic success with passes going forward, limited movement. I’ve just not seen anything he’s excelling at vs any other player on the field.

edit: no one is writing him off, but for a reported 15m I expected more

Genuinely curious as to what part of this performance you’ve seen as impressive? He’s doing a job but he’s not been tackling really, sporadic success with passes going forward, limited movement. I’ve just not seen anything he’s excelling at vs any other player on the field.

edit: no one is writing him off, but for a reported 15m I expected more

When did I say impressive?
I'd say he's done exactly as his coach has asked him, always showed for the ball and kept it moving quickly. Looks to have decent range of passing too.

When did I say impressive?
I'd say he's done exactly as his coach has asked him, always showed for the ball and kept it moving quickly. Looks to have decent range of passing too.
Fair enough. But if you’re going to be making the jump to the prem, in my opinion you should be differentiating yourself at this level. We’ll see how he handles some better teams when he’s pressured a bit more.

Fair enough. But if you’re going to be making the jump to the prem, in my opinion you should be differentiating yourself at this level. We’ll see how he handles some better teams when he’s pressured a bit more.
I don't think anyone would expect him to slot right into the lineup. He's got a lot of competition at River to begin with. I only watched a bit of the second half - I've DVR'd almost all the matches and will probably watch this one later and make a better assessment - but he seems to be holding the team together pretty well. He's got great size, decent range, rarely made a bad touch, actually showed some pretty good passing range distributing to the wings, seemed to be well positioned to thwart any counter attacks by RSA. Keep in mind, he made the all tourney XI in the South American championship and well, that competition was probably a bit better than what he faced today. By contrast, if you watched the US match, Chris Durkin was playing virtually the same role and his slow decision making, distribution, and recovery was killing the team's ability to attack in the final third. Sosa looked miles ahead of Durkin.

I don't think anyone would expect him to slot right into the lineup. He's got a lot of competition at River to begin with. I only watched a bit of the second half - I've DVR'd almost all the matches and will probably watch this one later and make a better assessment - but he seems to be holding the team together pretty well. He's got great size, decent range, rarely made a bad touch, actually showed some pretty good passing range distributing to the wings, seemed to be well positioned to thwart any counter attacks by RSA. Keep in mind, he made the all tourney XI in the South American championship and well, that competition was probably a bit better than what he faced today. By contrast, if you watched the US match, Chris Durkin was playing virtually the same role and his slow decision making, distribution, and recovery was killing the team's ability to attack in the final third. Sosa looked miles ahead of Durkin.
Durkin is an MLS lifer imo. Not really a bar I’d be comparing him to but I see the similarities. Sosa showed a bit more in the second half but was largely meh in my opinion. As I’ve stated, just one match, and he was hardly put under pressure so likely didn’t ever actually get up to full speed. Want to see how he does against better.

I've been watching the match and Sosa has been outstanding in the first 25 minutes. He's frankly everywhere and has been absolutely critical in keeping RSA pinned in their own half. He just saved a breakaway in the 24th, has had several long passes right on the money, most of his touches are super quick one-touches, and defensively his positioning has been outstanding - easily his most impressive aspect. He is EXACTLY what you want a defensive midfielder to be. I can't believe anyone watched this kid and thought he was poor.

He just jumped in front of a header covering for his defense in the 26th. This kid is all over the pitch.

If this a BAD game, I can't wait to see him play well. Not sure how he could play his role any better.

I've been watching the match and Sosa has been outstanding in the first 25 minutes. He's frankly everywhere and has been absolutely critical in keeping RSA pinned in their own half. He just saved a breakaway in the 24th, has had several long passes right on the money, most of his touches are super quick one-touches, and defensively his positioning has been outstanding - easily his most impressive aspect. He is EXACTLY what you want a defensive midfielder to be. I can't believe anyone watched this kid and thought he was poor.

He just jumped in front of a header covering for his defense in the 26th. This kid is all over the pitch.

If this a BAD game, I can't wait to see him play well. Not sure how he could play his role any better.
Not sure anyone said he played bad. What he did was extremely basic that I’d expect anyone playing that role would make. What turned me off a bit was he was inconsistent when he actually did try and play a forward pass or put someone through. He also didn’t seem particularly athletic but it’s tough to tell and maybe I was skewed after watching the French midfielders. Should be looking at a couple of them.

Not sure anyone said he played bad. What he did was extremely basic that I’d expect anyone playing that role would make. What turned me off a bit was he was inconsistent when he actually did try and play a forward pass or put someone through. He also didn’t seem particularly athletic but it’s tough to tell and maybe I was skewed after watching the French midfielders. Should be looking at a couple of them.
I recommend that you re-watch it. He was terrific passing it forward and if anything I would say he was extremely consistent. I saw maybe one bad touch the whole half, and the winger probably could've reacted more quickly and gotten to it. But he was a complete rock. One touch passes, many at high velocity, almost always the right decision, first touch was excellent - and players were firing balls into him from all sides, he was terrific - he showed incredible awareness of where his teammates were and when to get it to them. On defense, watch how quickly he picked up the runners when his wing or fullback gave the ball away. He was not only fast, he got right into the passing lanes. He was even covering for his fellow defensive mid at times - and Vera was all over the place in a very reckless way I might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.