Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on it is consistent: regardless of keeping Barkley and Lukaku, I think Moshiri has the ability to make a massive statement and shut critics up. He does that by spending the Barkley and Lukaku cash if they do go - and all the other sales made - and spending a hefty wedge on top.

He stated about 9 months back that the club had a window of opportunity of two years to make a big leap forward. Well this represents his last big opportunity to make that happen. There must be a massive statement made this summer. If, however, all he has to offer is a small net spend on top of the cash from player sales then he's failed to meet his own target.

He has 10 weeks to knock this out of the park.

Hes already knocked it out the park Dave.

57m in a day, as I said, hes utterly spanking you here.

We need to spend £50M net this summer. We have a team that needs gutting at the back completely and we need to add a different attacking unit if Lukaku is sold. We are blessed in only one department: midfield.

You have to understand the last couple of decades of our history to fully understand the friction over net spend. To be blunt, we have never seen much spending over and above what's brought in. That situation looked like ending when we got our 'billionaire'. However, it hasn't turned out that way so far and we still look to sell to buy.

All talk about not overplaying net spend has to be seen in that historical context. We've seen so many phonies and carpet baggers at this club the defences are set very high...and rightly so.

You seem to have no understanding of how the financial side works in a healthy well run business. Many will say that Everton have been badly run over the last 15 years, one of the main things we want from Moshiri is to not make the same mistakes we have made in the past, run the club the right way, the same way he probably runs his own personal business interests, judging by his own personal wealth he has been successful at doing just this.
The first part of that is not throwing money away needlessly, but you seem to want us to go out and buy several Sissoko and Andy Carolls just because Liverpool do it.
We could this window if we sell Lukaku and shift Barkley and maybe some deadwood bring as much in as 120m but on top of that you want us to spend another 50m ? 170m out?? Really? on who? Give me a few Idrissa Gueye bargains any day over expensive players just to spend for the sake of it.
You forget these players need to be paid, players who go for big money often can command large wages, we go out and buy a load of 30m players the wage bill is going to bust us.
If we go into the new season with a better squad the window has worked, the net spend dosent come into it, not if Steve Walsh is doing his job.

You seem to have no understanding of how the financial side works in a healthy well run business. Many will say that Everton have been badly run over the last 15 years, one of the main things we want from Moshiri is to not make the same mistakes we have made in the past, run the club the right way, the same way he probably runs his own personal business interests, judging by his own personal wealth he has been successful at doing just this.
The first part of that is not throwing money away needlessly, but you seem to want us to go out and buy several Sissoko and Andy Carolls just because Liverpool do it.
We could this window if we sell Lukaku and shift Barkley and maybe some deadwood bring as much in as 120m but on top of that you want us to spend another 50m ? 170m out?? Really? on who? Give me a few Idrissa Gueye bargains any day over expensive players just to spend for the sake of it.
You forget these players need to be paid, players who go for big money often can command large wages, we go out and buy a load of 30m players the wage bill is going to bust us.
If we go into the new season with a better squad the window has worked, the net spend dosent come into it, not if Steve Walsh is doing his job.

It's pretty basic stuff that people can't grasp.

Was told 10 mins ago deal done with spurs

If Barkley has been offered the contract quoted on here I'm surprised he hasn't signed it. His agent must be whispering nonsense in his ears. We're not going to pay him £100k a week. Hell, Levy was in tears giving Kane £100k a week. After Kane's first season Levy was looking to cash in on his one season wonder and Poch had to convince him not to sell. Levy is all about profit and I don't see the margins in Barkley.

Levy won't pay more than £15m to £20m for Barkley with 12 months left on his contract. We won't be paying him more than Eriksen or Dele either (£70k a week) and he's not going to be on Kane money and he'll be coming to us to sit on the bench unless Dembele is injured. And we already have Dembele mark 2 to in Josh Onomah who'll be getting more game time next season and just had a wonderful England under 20's tournament.

Edit: forgot to add Harry Winks in this too

I just don't see where he'll fit in at Spurs.

But you and I both know those fees are offset by the highly probable sale of Lukaku (and Barkley in all likelihood).

As for the contracts offered that pair: I dont accept the figures or the assumption that the club have any strong inclination to keep them given that their departures are required to pay for incoming players.
With respect, thats your conclusion.

The fact remains that Rom and Ross could sign them contracts tomorrow.

And we will still have spent £60m this last week.

And Dave, other than alleged but largely unsupported claims that Chelsea want Rom, how is a sale 'highly probable' and who has shown/is showing any concerted interest in signing Ross.

As Roydo suggests, with the incoming so far and the distinct likelihood of more... both Rom and Ross could stay/re-sign any time now having seen some seriously positive transfer activity already.

Interesting perspective I heard yesterday: if it's true we're prepared to offer Rooney £150k and only offered Barkley £100k, how would you feel about that if you were Barkley?

Sometimes it's about salaries relative to other players. £100k sounds generous, but if we're prepared to go much higher than that for the likes of Rooney, who is unlikely to be first choice and possibly even more of an ambassador than a player, then is that good value for Roscoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.