Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only just woke up after a few celebratory drinks last night. I have been one of Ross's biggest detractors as he frustrates the life out of me and I can see he has all the tools to be a world great.

But that Ross Barkley that was on the field yesterday is the one I want to see every week. Belief, aggression, strength, touch, vision and positional awareness.
Also played a good right defensive role at times in the 2nd half.
MOTM without question.

All of this. From the nervous wreck he was at the start of the season he's come such a long way, been completely transformed recently. No coincidence that we've looked miles better as a team since he's picked up.

Fantastic yesterday, as he has been for a while. Those tackles he put in on wilshere were exactly what he's needed to be doing for a while now. His job is to create, which is the most difficult type of pass to play and he'll inevitably misplace a few, but if he maintains the 'uglier' side to his game which he's been showing recently then he'll become that midfielder we've been hoping he'd be
Bang on, credit to koeman and maybe just a little bit of credit to Davies and holgate who have shown that little bit of snide in their play that every team needs, maybe ross is getting on that train.

never thought he had a good slide tackle in him, put some boss ones in didn't he

the celebration aswell was great yanno, showed his confidence is back, the back heel for roms 4th aswell

Well deserved praise indeed. I was one on here who stated him terrific pace and feet but no football brain. It seems with movement around him, Players actually showing themselves for the ball...he has been fabulous in finding them. The backheel through ball was....just ..wow.
I hope he keeps it up.
For anyone feeling that Ross was showing a lack of class ?? Give your head a smack...it's called showboating and has been a part of sport since Ali. I loved it, Didnt think Ross had it in him. Well done Ross !!!

The whole team is playing with far more conviction now, and Barkley is an integral part of that. Don't regret any criticism I've fired off at him recently - imo frankly it was well deserved (same for the whole team). Nice to see the reaction, let's hope they can sustain it and even take it up another notch going forward. This team and Barkley are still very much a WIP and if they keep working hard then they can go even further.

Just never understood the criticism of him. It's really quite simple; when people move for him, he'll either find them, or he'll exploit the space they leave behind by running the gaps.

The problem under Martinez particularly were twofold - first, we simply didn't move off the ball, ever. Second, he was told to play the role of a free-roaming playmaker and was quite clearly instructed not to defend anything but his own space. So what happened was people were moaning at him for not tracking back or throwing tackles and for not picking out passes, when for me the reason why he wasn't/couldn't do these things were obvious.

When Lukaku plays like he did against Bournemouth, it opens up Ross Barkley to be a superstar. When Lukaku doesn't, the movement dies in the final third and Barkley is less effective as a result. He can't do it all on his own. Barkley behind a channel runner as a striker and two clever inside forwards would be consistently one of the best attacking midfielders in world football.

The challenge for Everton - and particularly Lukaku, who simply has to learn from those type of performances what is required to be a truly top level footballer - is to keep that level up so we get the best out of the player who is in my view the biggest talent we've had at Goodison since Rooney.

Baz from Toffeetv had a boss quote on him, he said something like;

Ross was like Koeman had just boosted him on FIFA ultimate team with a slide tackle card so he spent the whole game sliding, even when he didn't need to slide he still was.

Status
Not open for further replies.