Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ross is better than Ali when on form. The thing that Ross lacks is determination. Ross has to be one of the worse midfielders off the ball. He jogs about and lacks the determination to get the ball back. He can't head the ball either. Only when Ross is on form turning players, running at players then no one is better than him and fans then forgive or forget his off the ball weakness. I am afraid when he is not on form when he has the ball then he offers nothing. Other inferior players can usually make up there lack of skill by being determined off the ball and getting there foot in. We need a manager who is going to work very hard on Ross's weaknesses or he could become lost.

Ross is better than Ali when on form. The thing that Ross lacks is determination. Ross has to be one of the worse midfielders off the ball. He jogs about and lacks the determination to get the ball back. He can't head the ball either. Only when Ross is on form turning players, running at players then no one is better than him and fans then forgive or forget his off the ball weakness. I am afraid when he is not on form when he has the ball then he offers nothing. Other inferior players can usually make up there lack of skill by being determined off the ball and getting there foot in. We need a manager who is going to work very hard on Ross's weaknesses or he could become lost.
On form = playing against poor sides. Happy to be proven wrong, but have any of Barkley's best performances come in big games against top sides? All I remember is him terrorising a dreadful Newcastle side.

For me, he's a flat track bully who flatters to deceive.

You would have to wonder is the leg break influencing the way he plays. He was once described as a the closet thing to Brian Robson by someone (may have been Moyes). That was before the leg break.

Maybe psychology he is not ready to out those challenges in yet, maybe he never will be.
It was Moyes who said that! Said he was a box to box midfielder before the leg break. I dont think anyone doubts the lads talent, it is his application and fitness that are below par, shockingly so with regards to his stamina!

It was Moyes who said that! Said he was a box to box midfielder before the leg break. I dont think anyone doubts the lads talent, it is his application and fitness that are below par, shockingly so with regards to his stamina!
Exceptional talent + poor application + terrible fitness = an average player. He simply cannot be judged (or indeed, selected) on the talent alone. This doesn't just apply to Barkley, of course.

On form = playing against poor sides. Happy to be proven wrong, but have any of Barkley's best performances come in big games against top sides? All I remember is him terrorising a dreadful Newcastle side.

He was playing under Martinez I a style that did not suit him. With a better manager he will be a different player next season.

He was playing under Martinez I a style that did not suit him. With a better manager he will be a different player next season.
Fitness and application do not depend on a managerial style. If you can't keep fit and apply yourself then you don't really deserve to be a professional footballer.

Fitness and application do not depend on a managerial style. If you can't keep fit and apply yourself then you don't really deserve to be a professional footballer.

In that case mate, get on the blower to every single professional club and tell them they are throwing money down the drain emplying fitness coaches and wasting time doing that in training as well, the lads will get fit on their own so why spend time on it like

Any other areas of training or development on that clubs can cut out?

Christ though, people aren't saying he isn't fit - they are saying his fitness isn't what it should be - huige difference their, he has also gone about his fitness the wrong way, he is in fantastic shape - but not the shape a footy player should be - a bit like a boxer who focuses too much on putting on muscle and loses speed, co-ordination and agility

and that my friend is entirely down to his fitness being managed all wrong by the everton staff

Sad but true.

In that case mate, get on the blower to every single professional club and tell them they are throwing money down the drain emplying fitness coaches and wasting time doing that in training as well, the lads will get fit on their own so why spend time on it like

Any other areas of training or development on that clubs can cut out?

Christ though, people aren't saying he isn't fit - they are saying his fitness isn't what it should be - huige difference their, he has also gone about his fitness the wrong way, he is in fantastic shape - but not the shape a footy player should be - a bit like a boxer who focuses too much on putting on muscle and loses speed, co-ordination and agility

and that my friend is entirely down to his fitness being managed all wrong by the everton staff

He is either not fit, or not prepared to shift his arse around the pitch, or both.

In his first season he played well in some big games.

Liverpool at home 13/14 and Arsenal away (league) 13/14 were both mega performances which initially had convinced me he was going to be a superstar, but he's not reached those heights in the past two seasons unfortunately.

If laziness off the ball is perceived to be the main problem, I wonder whether playing him further back in midfield, where he really couldn't get away with not working in defence, could be a solution?

Quite a few in the squad were not fit enough. That was a managerial issue. Application is easier when you are fully motivated and believe in what you are doing.Again the root cause was the manager. Sideways slow football does not play to Ross's strengths.
With a better manager he will be a much improved player.

Hope he goes and does well as needs a big boost for his confidence ... Has not been at his best for the last couple of months but still better option than sterling .. !

Status
Not open for further replies.