Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
And again, I feel obligated to state that I think Koeman is doing a good job on the whole, but I think the way he's handled this Barkley situation could have been much better

I personally believe it would have made more sense for him to speak to Ross in private, say to him "Take a week or so for a holiday, get your head straight, work out what you want to do and then get back to us, but please lets us know by (Insert Date) so we can plan for next season"

If Ross was then off we could have dealt with it

Course it's possible that both the "why wasn't this sorted last year" and "why wasn't the ultimatum delivered in private " questions can be answered by it was, and a private ultimatum didn't work, so here we are. Purely speculation of course.

then I won't try to convince you but I will correct you...it wasn't a public ultimatum, the ultimatum was given privately and was relayed to the public when asked what was happening...media is part of a managers job, the english press are obsessed with Barkley(poor lad) and many fans want to know what is happening even if you and others don't. Oops it seems I am trying to convince you, apologies lol

It's got nothing to do with fans "not wanting to know" what's going on, that isn't the argument

The argument is that by making those comments Koeman made it a public ultimatum, which didn't help the situation one iota

Looks like it's about 50-50 whether one thinks if Koeman mishandled it or not. I think he handled it with his mind on future transfers in and needed to know one way or another. One thing is for sure and that is Koeman wanted him to sign. I suppose that's opinions for you. We could go on forever once the opinion is set in stone. Saying that I hope this story is true and he signs.

Spot on! 50/50 looks about right on whether RK was right or not. As regards wanting him to sign it's more like 95/5 in favour, including Koeman so hopefully we get good news soon

If he signs, it's because the board have got on with negotiating with him properly and binning off Koeman and his ridiculous deadline. His agent would have probably got him an extra £25k a week and did his job for his client.

It'd be the right outcome for everyone for the next five years and hopefully beyond, instead of the wrong outcome dictated by a manager who will be here another two years tops.

No matter what here, Koeman played this out horribly. If Koeman had his way, we'd lose a player for certain for a fraction of his value for no reason whatsoever. I don't mind Koeman, but when he goofs, he goofs, and people should call it as they see it.

Why on God's earth do you insist that this is Koeman's deadline? He would not have made the comment unless this was already decided and agreed by the real decision makers - IT'S NOT HIS JOB (as he has said many many times).

#agenda #vendetta...

It's got nothing to do with fans "not wanting to know" what's going on, that isn't the argument

The argument is that by making those comments Koeman made it a public ultimatum, which didn't help the situation one iota

I'm sorry man but I can't agree that players should be wrapped in cotton wool on these matters...they play in a public sphere and are payed by that public sphere...if a player is dragging his heels it's his problem. Koeman was asked many times before then and was answering I don't know but eventually made clear that this(sold when 1 yr left) is what happens so he needs to know at the end of the season...Ultimatum in itself is blowing it out of proportion

he was 99.9 percent signing at some stage!

Joey, why do keep relating Lukaku to Barkley in this...one has 2 years left which RK said, the other has 1...I have no doubt that if Lukaku is here next year, still hasn't signed and RK is asked about it he'll say, wait for it; 'when a player has 1 year left the club need to sell if that player won't sign'
apples and oranges

Needed sorting mate. See: Klaassen/Sigurdsson.

I'm not 100% convinced on Koeman, but no issue with him saying it as it is, when directly asked a question.

If he stays, Barkley has lost a lot of goodwill for the sake of an extra few quid a week - if it was just better terms he was after.

I don't get it. He is offered a contract, he doesn't immediately sign it, but neither he nor his reps utter a word as to why not, then a few weeks later after a negotiation he signs a better deal. Why does he lose goodwill? It's only if you believe he should be bothered about all the bed-wetting that goes on in forums such as this in the interim.

He hasn't done anything that any other player would do - it's just that it was brought out into the open by the club.

I don't get it. He is offered a contract, he doesn't immediately sign it, but neither he nor his reps utter a word as to why not, then a few weeks later after a negotiation he signs a better deal. Why does he lose goodwill? It's only if you believe he should be bothered about all the bed-wetting that goes on in forums such as this in the interim.

He hasn't done anything that any other player would do - it's just that it was brought out into the open by the club.

I'm sure he doesn't care one jot about what fans think.

Nope.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2016/04/24/watch-jags-tells-barkley-they-wernt-booing-you/

Joey, why do keep relating Lukaku to Barkley in this...one has 2 years left which RK said, the other has 1...I have no doubt that if Lukaku is here next year, still hasn't signed and RK is asked about it he'll say, wait for it; 'when a player has 1 year left the club need to sell if that player won't sign'
apples and oranges
It stirred a honest nest up on players salaries a player turns Down 140 k you have opened a can of worms!

Status
Not open for further replies.