Ross Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a non story from the Times but I thought I'd share it.

Roberto Martínez denies Chelsea deal for Ross Barkley

Roberto Martínez has dismissed suggestions that Chelsea have been given first option to sign Ross Barkley in return for allowing Romelu Lukaku and Christian Atsu to move to Everton.

In the past 12 months, Everton have signed Lukaku, first on a season-long loan, then on a permanent transfer costing a club-record £28 million, and Atsu, in another temporary deal that was finalised on Wednesday, and although Martínez admits that his club are benefiting from “a good relationship” with Chelsea, he maintains that there are no strings attached.

“No, no. Not at all,” the Everton manager said when asked if Chelsea had secured an option on Barkley as part of the Lukaku and Atsu transactions. “We have a good relationship and a professional relationship and I want to believe that they [Chelsea] feel that they can trust us in sending players out on loan.

“I don’t think that relationship goes any further. The chairman [Bill Kenwright] has been instrumental in forging that relationship more than anyone. He has developed that bridge between the two clubs and there is a possibility for both to use it in a good way, but there is no commitment in any sort of future deals.”

Chelsea have a longstanding interest in Barkley, but Everton remain confident that the England midfielder continues to believe that his future lies with his boyhood club, particularly after he signed a four-year contract towards the end of last month.

A more likely reason for Chelsea’s willingness to allow players to join Everton on loan is their own need to reduce the number of foreign players in their squad to conform with established Premier League and Champions League rules.

Oriol Romeu and Marko Marin have been allowed to leave Stamford Bridge on loan in recent weeks as Chelsea look to reduce the number of foreign players in their squad to the 17 permitted to be registered.

Atsu, who will spend the whole of the coming season with Everton, has now followed suit, although the Ghana winger insists that it was a failure to prove himself, rather than his nationality, that precipitated his departure.

“It’s not impossible [for young players to break through at Chelsea],” Atsu, 22, said. “For me everything is possible. It depends on me. I have to work hard in everything, to get more playing time here at Everton, to prove myself and also to move the team forward. Talking about Chelsea’s first team, when the season is done, then I will know what can happen.

“For me, I think it depends on the experience that I have and I haven’t played in the Premier League before. My situation is different. I need to get experience in the Premier League before I can become a player who starts regularly for Chelsea. I spoke with José Mourinho. I think it is best that I got some experience on loan and that was a decision that we all made together.

“I don’t know what will happen. I am just here to work for Everton and to give my best for the club. Nobody promised me any games to play in. I spoke with the manager here and he didn’t tell me that if I come to Everton I will play straightaway. I know everything depends on the player; the player has to work hard before the manager can choose him. There was no guaranteed playing time.”

Martínez said: “Atsu is the kind of player that you want to see involved with the ball. I see a young man with potential who is hungry to do well. This is a really good opportunity for him. We want him to develop unforgettable memories. I expect a little bit of an adaptation period. I just feel that because he has been working at a Premier League club will make it [his transition] smooth.”

Martínez is satisfied with Everton’s transfer dealings this summer but remains in the market for a centre forward, with the possibility remaining of Lacina Traoré being re-signed on loan from Monaco.

Everton would also be interested in Gerard Deulofeu, who spent last season at Goodison Park, if the winger is again made available by Barcelona.

I think he's going to be completely and utterly boss, score a ton of goals and repeatedly reiterate the fact that Everton are magic and he's staying for life.

Nailed on I reckon.

article-2444274-1884C23200000578-297_306x423.jpg

I never knew the boy in striped pyjamas supported Everton.

Needs to be hitting double figures for goals and close to double figures for assists this season. He's too good not too if that makes sense.

lets not expect to much, it takes time and its only really his 2nd season and were expecting him to hit double figures , it took gerrard 8 seasons before he got double figures in league goals, were expecting him to hit that in his 2nd season, lets give him time to develop as a complete player and just enjoy his quality moments this season

Given we've been coaching him for god knows how many years now, how come Barkley's decision-making is still so suspect?

lets not expect to much, it takes time and its only really his 2nd season and were expecting him to hit double figures , it took gerrard 8 seasons before he got double figures in league goals, were expecting him to hit that in his 2nd season, lets give him time to develop as a complete player and just enjoy his quality moments this season

No.

I want him to perform at his best, week in, week out. It's the best way for him to progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.