Ronald Koeman

Ronald Koeman...good choice for us?

• yes, he'll get us top 6 and stability

• no, it's uninspiring even if top 6 is back on

• josé on toast

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His record over the top teams alone this season probably eclipses Martinez's record over 3 years.

It's not the most exciting appointment but I think it's probably the most sensible move we could have made. We shouldn't underestimate his reputation as a player either.

I'm a bit surprised that the Emery and Monchi deal seems to have died though.

I would have picked Koeman over Mourhino, Pellegrini and Emery so I'm happy with this appointment.

It depends on your ideas about pathway to success and patience but always wanted someone in who would be prepared to build and develop. Like it or not football is a game of balance, the best attack and defence win the league every year when they closest to the best balance between these two aspects, it's often that simple.

Koeman is pragmatic coach he recognises this and the balance in his sides is very good. He's not rigid tactically, he has bad patches in the PL and rebounded spectacularly to bring success in a context. He's coached winning sides again in a context, he's used refined tools, he's used rough tools, coached, scouted and developed in his managerial career. He has been successful at big clubs with expectation and unfashionable clubs. He has a really broad skill set.

Has he ever been given the tools I.e. Finance, infrastructure, talented squad and talented youth team players to really challenge the elite, this is his opportunity.

He's going to be successfull, not PL in his first year but we should be attacking the CL spots next season, that's success for me, next season.

Excellent post. Takes over a Southampton team who have had half their players sold and are being talked about as relegation candidates, then brings in new players (admittedly he may not have chosen them all), implements his own systems whilst showing an ability to be adaptable and change tack when necessary, which in turn leads them to Europe in two successive seasons after having more important players sold again after the first season.

People keep saying "oh but he's not a winner manager", do they realistically expect him to have won the league both seasons there? I don't really understand, if he had there is no way we would be getting him and in terms of the results he has achieved it is hard to see how he could have done much better.

I think this is what Moshiri has seen and is why he has gone out and taken the man he believes that with the tools you mention, will be able to challenge the established hierarchy.

As an aside, I feel Emery would of been a great choice too by the way. Think the two we were serious about were head and shoulders above anything else which is a great sign.

People keep saying "oh but he's not a winner manager", do they realistically expect him to have won the league both seasons there? I don't really understand, if he had there is no way we would be getting him and in terms of the results he has achieved it is hard to see how he could have done much better.
Well no I/we don't.
But he isn't a winner manager now is he? A Mickey Mouse shield in 2009,7 years ago, is his last "win". Nearly a decade ago.
Happy to hear from people how he is a "winning manager" as others keep pointing out how lucky we are?

Well no I/we don't.
But he isn't a winner manager now is he? A Mickey Mouse shield in 2009,7 years ago, is his last "win". Nearly a decade ago.
Happy to hear from people how he is a "winning manager" as others keep pointing out how lucky we are?

I didn't claim him to be a "winner manager", what I am trying to say is his performance as a manager in recent times should be judged in context of the situation he was in. Getting a team decimated by player sales who were considered in danger of relegation when he took over, to two consecutive european finishes.

That is why he has been given the opportunity, as his recent performances suggest with the backing of Moshiri he could actually be a "winning manager".

Think he is a safer bet, given his PL experience vs Emery. Although I would have had no issues with Emery. Think those two were along way ahead of any other realistic options unless you think there is someone we missed looking at?

I didn't claim him to be a "winner manager", what I am trying to say is his performance as a manager in recent times should be judged in context of the situation he was in. Getting a team decimated by player sales who were considered in danger of relegation when he took over, to two consecutive european finishes.

That is why he has been given the opportunity, as his recent performances suggest with the backing of Moshiri he could actually be a "winning manager".

Think he is a safer bet, given his PL experience vs Emery. Although I would have had no issues with Emery. Think those two were along way ahead of any other realistic options unless you think there is someone we missed looking at?
Agree with all that.
I wasn't referring to you btw. Just reading many posts referring to people being happy because he is a winning Manager.

Agree with all that.
I wasn't referring to you btw. Just reading many posts referring to people being happy because he is a winning Manager.

Yeah he's won some trinkets a few years back, but realistically if I'm the one hiring, I would be focussing a lot more on recent history as an indicator than anything that any manager did ten years ago. Football changes, Manager's change and grow or refuse to change and get passed by. Think it is a good fit for both sides at the present time.

RM vs RK

13/14 38 21 9 8 61 39 +22 72 5th
14/15 38 12 11 15 48 50 −2 47 11th 38 18 6 14 54 33 +21 60 7th
15/16 38 11 14 13 59 55 +4 47 11th 38 18 9 11 59 41 +18 63 6th

Status
Not open for further replies.