Homepage Update: Ronald Koeman Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next permanent Everton manager odds (SkyBet)
  • David Unsworth - 5/2
  • David Moyes - 4/1
  • Sam Allardyce - 8/1
  • Carlo Ancelotti - 8/1
  • Sean Dyche - 10/1
  • Chris Coleman - 10/1
  • Mikel Arteta - 12/1
  • Thomas Tuchel - 12/1
  • Rafael Benitez - 12/1
Please can we make another list?

This one stinks
Of what mate? Fish?

Glad he's gone never wanted him in the first place don't these people do any research before hiring people, his managerial record was, at best average do they suddenly think oh he's been average but he'll be great for us WTF.

I honestly don't know mate. I would have ancelotti due to his pedigree ( but I know it won't happen ) as for the rest I would cry if they got the job ( tuchel ) can't comment on

I look at the position we're in now, and apart from Moyes and maybe Chris Coleman, every name on that list would have us improve on what we've seen this season so far.

Had to happen and probably should have happened after the Bournemouth game in my opinion - we might have had a better shout of staying in Europe if we'd acted sooner, but relative to the Martinez debacle we've moved fairly swiftly I guess

Unsworth would be fine as a temporary measure (unless he smashes it, in which case consider him full time)

Think we need to think very carefully about who we appoint now. A decision needs to be taken by Walsh and the board about how we want to play as a team. We then need to appoint a coach who plays that way - the whole point of a DoF model is to minimise the disruption that changing manager/head coach makes when necessary

One of the biggest issues with Koeman was that we never seemed to have an identity - let's make a decision about what that identity should be and make an appointment accordingly (and plan transfer activity around it), ripping it up and starting again every time we change manager isn't the way to make this model work.

On the other thread I wrote that I was hoping that Koeman wouldn't get sacked, only because there will now be a massive delay in our progress - this year is a write off probably, unless someone comes in and works with our existing players. If we have someone who
a) doesn't like the signings
b) doesn't like the U23 and youth team or young english talent
c) needs to change the playing system dramatically

then this year will be another one for all the tosh talk of 'realism' and 'stability' which actually just means we have to wait one more year, then another year to bed in new players and then in the 2019/20 season we might be challenging for a cup.
So basically it comes back down to the club management and leadership - what is the ambition really? Are we scared to say it out loud? Why are we not after a 5 year plan to be in CL regularly ? then a 5-10 year plan for challenging for the title?

Someone new has to embrace that ambition. For all the criticism that Koeman and Lukaku and now maybe Barkley were using this as a stepping stone, Everton IS a legitimate stepping stone to the top 4 or other European jobs because we are the best of the rest. the top 4-6 in EPL don't take a chance on young players or managers, and we are the most consistent or well funded, or well - run club outside that (on a part with Southampton, West Brom perhaps) and our ambition has to be on a par with Tottenham, LIverpool and Arsenal, and then later Man City, Man U and Chelsea. IN that case, we might find that Lukaku, Moyes, Koeman type of people say 'Yes I can stay here for my entire career'.

So I don't blame him for using us as a stepping stone. We have to also use people like him as a stepping stone for us too, so even if we get the next Tuchel, Martinez, Howe type of manager, and even if they're looking for a CL club, it's ok, because we'll get there too one day. At least, I hope thats what Kenwright and Moshiri want.

The first step in testing them is to see if they have got someone in mind. if we find that there is no one lined up and no one planned to replace Koeman, then I Will lose faith in them again. They could have waited to sack him till another couple of weeks if they don't know what the replacement plan is.

Status
Not open for further replies.