Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article from espnfc

New and improved Everton are starting to look and sound a lot like old Everton, the sleeping giant happy to trundle along and offer little conviction in their attempt to push toward the top of the table. Majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri offered manager Ronald Koeman the dreaded vote of confidence on Monday, though this show of support inspired little faith.

Whether it was Moshiri merely protecting his investment in a manager given ample funds this summer, his reference to the 1-0 Burnley defeat on Sunday as "the only unexpected loss" is simply inexcusable. Irrespective of the poor recent record against the top teams, nobody in his position at this football club should ever imply any defeat is expected. This all feels painfully reminiscent of the days when former club captain Phil Neville tried to paint finishing in the top 10 as some sort of noble achievement.

Moshiri also repeated the paper-thin injury and fixture list excuses offered by Koeman earlier in the week. You cannot celebrate the return of European football but then complain about the extra fixtures just two matches into the group stage. Everton should be up to full speed, not commenting on tiredness at the beginning of October.

Such an uninspired statement does little to ease the pressure on the man in the dugout. Koeman has always seemed detached from Everton, almost with one foot out of the door, though in truth that has not been an issue until now. Yet as pressure builds, it is difficult to shake the nagging sense that dismissal would not bother Koeman in the slightest. When questioned about his position this week, Koeman has not sounded worried or even concerned. Whether it is arrogance or ignorance, neither trait offers much encouragement moving forward.

This general indifference adds to the sense of hopelessness enveloping the club. International breaks usually feel disruptive, but two weeks without Everton probably feels like a blessing to supporters at present. A 1-0 defeat to Burnley on Sunday means Everton have already lost as many home league games as the whole of last season. In the space of a few months and a summer of lopsided spending, Goodison Park has transformed from fortress to funfair.

Four goals scored and no clean sheet since the opening day tells the story of a team that has lost its way in every department. Everton have won two of the last 10 matches in all competitions. Seven points from seven league games has Everton ranked 18th on shots on target, goals scored and goals conceded.

This downturn extends to the end of last season. Dating back to April, Everton have scored six goals in their last 12 league games. That is why inevitable focus on the failure to replace Romelu Lukaku misses the bigger picture. Debate over the quality of forward options is irrelevant in a team creating as few clear-cut chances as Everton.

Even with Lukaku still in the squad, this narrow system had begun to run its course. Six months on, this broken setup remains in place. Anybody able to discern the formation toward the end of the second half against Burnley deserves an award in cartography.

Koeman continues to ignore the crippling lack of width and force players out of position in matches. Against Burnley, two strikers sat ahead of a shapeless mess masquerading as a midfield with two full-backs so isolated they might as well have sat in the crowd. Asking 32-year-old Leighton Baines to be left-back and left-sided midfielder for the entire match exposes the folly of this wrecked system. The switch to two strikers counted for nothing as midfield issues went untouched behind them.

Opponents easily outmanoeuvre Everton in wide areas and Koeman is either oblivious to it or too stubborn to address it. This is a team of strangers simply occupying the same area of grass. A shortage of pace, no width and the continued use of two defensive midfielders means the only realistic passing option for most players is backwards or sideways. Much like the full-backs in close proximity to them, the holding midfielders seem expected to play two positions, breaking up play and providing the attacking impetus. Meanwhile, the failing setup makes the more attack-minded players mere passengers.

Spending £45 million to use Gylfi Sigurdsson out of position is perhaps the strangest decision of them all. Aside from aimless long balls or switching the play to full-backs with no support and nowhere to go, there is still no shape, no creativity and no plan of attack. Never mind a goal, a player registering a shot on target feels like an achievement at this point.

Goalkeeper Jordan Pickford had more touches of the ball than both Everton strikers on Sunday. Ashley Williams ended the match up front and Wayne Rooney briefly popped up at left-back and in central defence. The only tactic seems to be that there are no tactics.

Stubbornness, misguided recruitment, misplaced favouritism towards big-money signings and a complete lack of width are the primary factors behind this alarming start. Amid a desperate run of form threatening a swift European exit and derailing progress in the league, Koeman has shown little sign of turning this around and the reasons for continuing with this charade are running out.

By Luke O'Farrell

Source : http://www.espn.co.uk/football/club...s-farcical-everton-limp-further-into-disarray

he needs to find his formation, but it's proving as impossible as the culinary holy grail - the microwaveable pie where the pastry feels baked

Hard to come back from, it's turned and it's just a matter of time in my opinion. Whether the fat headed one chooses to believe it or not, it's irrelevant, Evertons board will be actively talking to agents to check on their clients availability to become our new manager ahead of the January window.

It ain't phenenomal but, OK, that's football. Koeman lacks the humility to realise his arrogance and lack of flexibility has cost him the biggest payday he could ever have hoped to achieve. He may argue he's been let down in the transfer market but at the end of the day, it's now his team and his tactics. Everton FC deserve better, he ain't good enough and we should simply move on with the next appointment.

Of course he'll blame the transfers. He laid the ground work for his excuses after the window shut. No way he's accepting responsbility for what is going wrong with the team.

..I'm not sure that's the right approach. Indeed, it might be the cause of the problem.

Picking your 'best X1' players does not constitute your best team and results in square pegs in round holes situation. In my opinion, he's best picking a formation that is at least hard to beat and one that offers some threat, then pick the players who dovetail into it best.

I agree, I should have said best team.

Not sure why people are keen to give him until Christmas based on his track records of turning around bad spells of form (at both Everton and Southampton).

Questions must be asked about how he keeps managing teams into terrible patches of form, the players look absolutely shot to pieces, he reminds me of that snidey co-worker that's convinced the big boss that he's the dogs gonads, when in fact he's totally terrible at his job.

Getting a new manager in now would allow for 2 weeks to get some kind of belief and motivation back to the players, and give the new man time to see who his best 11 is, we cannot allow things to get as bad as they did under Martinez, it took a long time to pick our players off the floor after that disaster.
Exactly - he's an experienced manager who is now having his third consecutive season in the Premiership with an abysmal run. This tells you that he is not a good manager. No way is he ever going to challenge top 4 and we are simply wasting our time with him. As the bard said "If it were done when 'tis done, then t'were well. It were done quickly".

I'm sure it's nothing that hasn't already been said but I was willing to give him yesterday's match, and it was a massive disappointment.

Burnley is not a side that should be overlooked as they have achieved decent results and have really been playing better football than us all season and at times, last season. However there is no reason we shouldn't have at least come away with a point. We have more talent than they do on the pitch but we couldn't get a result. That's why I think he surely needs to be out.

For me the team currently has 3 major problems
1) no pace
2) no width
3) no quality strikers

Unfortunately these problems mean the following
1) opposition defenses can push further up the field. We don't have the pace or skill up front to exploit this
2) opposition sides can shift over and try to box us in, even if it means leaving one flank completely open. We don't have the wingers or pace to exploit this.
3) opposition defenders just have to be competent to deal with what we have. This is why teams full of grock defenders (e.g. Burnley and Limassol) who can head away an aimless high ball will have success.

Problems 1 and 2 will be helped in November time when Coleman and Bolasie come back in. Both will add pace and width.

Problem no.3 will hopefully be solved in January with the addition of a striker. We should be able to get someone who offers more than Niasse (tries hard but is not really good enough) and DCL (a kid who should really be learning his trade on loan in the championship).

This is why I think it's difficult to know if Koeman really is useless and if the players have downed tools. To be fair to Koeman he's done most things the fans have asked for (e.g. Bring Niasse back and play with 2 strikers). Yes he could try some of our genuine wingers but I don't think they would make that much difference. Mirallas hasn't played well in ages whenever he's had a chance, Lookman hasn't looked great, and Lenon just hasn't been good enough since he's been at the club. Maybe Lookman would be the one who should be given more minutes and should be on ahead of the likes of Sandro and Klaasson.

One thing Koeman should definitely do is stop playing Martina. He's not as bad as most make out but he offers nothing going forward. You could see yesterday players just stopped passing to him when he was free out wide and opted to put a cross in themselves from a less good angle. Play Kenny until Coleman is back. Will make little difference to results and will instantly win him some points with fans.

One guy whose head should definitely be on the chopping block at the moment is Steve Walsh. The guy is responsible for the players we've brought in. It's literally his job. It's his fault we didn't get the striker, centre half, winger, and left back we needed. Instead he let 4/5 no.10s come in. What a moron. For me he is as much at fault for the failures on the pitch as Koeman is. Unless of course Bill did his usual trick of blocking moves late on in the window. We'll never know though.

The next few games will tell us a lot about Koeman's future. What have what we have until November/January. The results may not improve but the performances have to. I have one request though: if the players have downed tools and stopped playing for Koeman. He must be sacked within the next 4-5 games. I don't want this dragging out for a whole season like it did with Martinez. There's no point in writing off a whole campaign to keep a guy in a job who is taking us nowhere fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.