Ronald Koeman discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me the fact that Koeman has just arrived when we are in such a bad place makes me have more patience with him. He needs real time to make this work and just over six months with only one transfer window that the club bungled badly doesn't count as that as far as I'm concerned.

Your main problem seems to be our lack of funds, a problem Im also unhappy about but that is the club's fault not Koeman's. Some of his team selection's have been odd but considerably less so and far less often then El Fraudo manage to do the same.

Look I just completely disagree with your thoughts on Leicester, I to was unhappy with the woeful first half showing but it wasn't even close to as bad as at least a dozen matches I can think of off the top of my head that we had under Martinez. Not. Even. Close. I don't care if they were weakened or not you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that. We couldn't even compete with and were humiliated by a half pissed Leicester City last time we played there!

Basically what I've seen from Koeman so far is a man who has a vision on how he wants us to play but knows he doesn't have the player's at his disposal to do it. Now rather then live in la la land like El Fraudo he's prioritizing points while he gets rid of the dead wood and builds his team that can play his way. He's just being practical and prioritizing results over style, a philosophy which I for one wholeheartedly endorse.
Agree with most of that if he does a Klopp , and gets rid of baggage next summer, and I am taliking at least 8 players either not good enough or too old even if it's to get the off the wage bill - Klopp managed it so there's no reason why RK cannot imo then let him rebuild using some of our youth, and getting some speed in the team time will tell the team that was put out in front of us at Leicester we never had one shot on target - only when the two young subs came on did we play football of any description - if he had started with those two we could have had a greater win for moral, Robles looked impressive too which may be a plus if funds are short the juries still out on him, but he did control his box never seen that front a blues keeper for an age!
RK has a hard job as our new owner is stadium funds to one side I think!
Positive points you make always open to logical opinions as maybe I and some fans expected better, patience my be needed like you point out the positiveitie of this new Manager;)

Uh. That was great until the body punch at the end!

I feel compelled to check... do you mean the football was mediocre or Moyes achievements?

IMHO, Moyes was brilliant. League position, cash, transfers, Europe, FA Cup Semi & Final - everything was up. I do accept (especially as I'm a WOOL) that his demeanour and way of talking about Everton re money and 'size of club' was unnecessarily dour at times, especially to Everton generations who know what a massive club Everton is - long before David Moyes joined. For the record, I think he's made similar gaffs re: money and whining about Utd still during his tenure at Sunderland. Comes across as a bit of a chip on the shoulder which is a shame - he doesn't need to give context to how well he's done.

But personally I've never enjoyed watching Everton more than the fight, team ethics and skill on display from overlooked and under-rated players (Yak, Piennar, Coleman, Unsworth, Yobo, Lescott, Cahill, Arteta, BD etc), when he had us socking it to the best of 'em. Big Dunc 1-0. Thank you David. And for the bank balance, European nights, and respect of other fans who wanted a proper 'British team' to support (mgt, ethics, ownership - not a merry go round of mercenary agent/ mgt fodder). Our international players loved the club - and were part of an XI that pretty upset the money apple cart every year you were here. What everyone loved about Leicester in 2015-2016 Moyes pretty much did year in and out for us, just a shame no trophy but things could have been A LOT WORSE!
The comment was more in-line with the clubs ambition's during Moyesy's time at the club, lack of spending (Where is the Arteta money) etc.

The saying was always, what would Moyesy do with money if he could do so well with pretty much nothing? Well he didn't do a whole lot at United but granted they were quite hasty with his sacking.

He has struggled as a Manager since leaving Everton and whilst him coming back to raid our players was appalling, it's a part of football and I always enjoyed his time at the club for what he did on a shoe-string budget.

What I would give to have a prime Cahill/Arteta under Koeman..

I've had a change of heart, I fear I was to quick to put the boot in.

Am I happy the way things have gone, not a chance but people are correct, let's see what he can do after a transfer window or 2, seeing Bob Bradley sacked made me realise how silly it would be because I found myself saying "he deserved more time".

So, I will continue to criticise and I always fume at defeats but I won't be calling for Koemans head unless things get really bad.

I'm sure he cares as you lot do but I thought I'd share.
Takes a proper man that I applaud you sir

Interesting comments from him about the club, players and the future.

He's adamant that we'll strengthen our squad and re-iterated the ambitions of the club.

Liked that he said (about people questioning him joining us) that we're a big club (bigger than Southampton), and that this isn't a two week job - it's a long term job for him.

He has a certain confidence and happiness about the club and our intentions at the moment which is good to see. Makes me think we will be doing some big moves this window.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...ld-fight-future-ronald-koeman-intent-january/

“We need to finish in a position around where the team is now. Everybody knows that is the ambition of the club, and also my ambition".

Sorry, if Moyes would have come out with that he'd have been battered.

7th place = ambition for Southampton mate. You need to go and brush up on the club's history you say you're aware of.

“We need to finish in a position around where the team is now. Everybody knows that is the ambition of the club, and also my ambition".

7th place = ambition for Southampton mate. You need to go and brush up on the club's history you say you're aware of.

This is the reality. Look at the squad of the curent top 6. If we don't spend and don't get new players in then yes 7th. What do you expect dave?

How come you go missing every time we win, chief?

This is the reality. Look at the squad of the curent top 6. If we don't spend and don't get new players in then yes 7th. What do you expect dave?
Mate, the feller is talking about AMBITION. Is that your ambition? No, and it's not mine either. If he means expectation for this season then fair enough. If he thinks in the next few seasons plodding long behind 6 other clubs is acceptable he can do one...and this feller has actually said in the near past he wants us to get back to being 'best of the rest'...the most toe curling line spoken by an Everton manager since knife to a gunfight.

I think after the last two seasons 7th is reasonable enough if we stay there.I don't know what yourself and the Zat man were expecting but i think being best of the rest sums up where we are at right now.Look at where we were in the table after Martinez got the boot!The top six teams are all a fair bit ahead of us in their development and they also invested a lot more money in their squads.The table clearly illustrates that.It's not been spectacular so far but Koeman is gradually turning us around.

Mate, the feller is talking about AMBITION. Is that your ambition? No, and it's not mine either. If he means expectation for this season then fair enough. If he thinks in the next few seasons plodding long behind 6 other clubs is acceptable he can do one...and this feller has actually said in the near past he wants us to get back to being 'best of the rest'...the most toe curling line spoken by an Everton manager since knife to a gunfight.

Think he did say this season. He said this is a long term project.

Mate this has to be backed by the board. Funds must be provided. What's the problem if he is being pragmatic for the time being, given the squad we have at the moment? You can spout loads of bull out like getting top 4 but if you can't do it, it's just tosh.

I think after the last two seasons 7th is reasonable enough if we stay there.I don't know what yourself and the Zat man were expecting but i think being best of the rest sums up where we are at right now.Look at where we were in the table after Martinez got the boot!The top six teams are all a fair bit ahead of us in their development and they also invested a lot more money in their squads.The table clearly illustrates that.It's not been spectacular so far but Koeman is gradually turning us around.
Lets have it right: 7th is adequate. It is NOT an ambition for this club. Any manager who says it should be needs to be educated.

Status
Not open for further replies.