Rodwell/Henderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Dane

Player Valuation: £15m
So it seems that Jordan Henderson is moving to the Dark Side within a couple of days for £18,5 m., and it got me thinking that there is no way in hell we will get £25 m. for Rodwell.

Henderson is a regular and has already received his full international call-up, also compare these stats for this season:

Rodwell:
Games: 28 (11)
Goals: 1
Assists: 2
Yellow cards: 6

Henderson:
Games: 38 (1)
Goals: 3
Assists: 5
Yellow cards: 2

I'm not sure I understand the comparison.

Rodwell had a season blighted by 3 seperate injuries -- Henderson played in a poor underland side which nosedived after selling Bent.

To be fair I haven't seen much of Henderson...

I'm not sure I understand the comparison.

Rodwell had a season blighted by 3 seperate injuries -- Henderson played in a poor underland side which nosedived after selling Bent.

To be fair I haven't seen much of Henderson...
They are around the same age and both hyped to be the future of Englands midfield (along with Wilshire of course), and Henderson has already cemented a regular place in midfield for Sunderland.

Honestly, I think Rodwell and felliani will be a fantastic centre midfield partnership for us next season.

Honestly, I think Rodwell and felliani will be a fantastic centre midfield partnership for us next season.
You could be right. I would - no secret here - offload Fellaini for £25 m. and use the money to buy McCarthy and Morrisson.

Henderson is almost a year older, and he's cemented a place in a considerably weaker midfield. Remember this is a midfield in which Bolo Zenden, Steed Malbranque and Lee Cattermole have become regulars. Players who would never, ever get into our midfield in any position. Only Sessegnon -- a signing made half way through this season -- is someone I'd look at with envy.

Rodwell is facing competition from Fellaini, Arteta, Osman and because of Moyes' preference for defensive minded players, the superior defenders; Neville and Heitinga. It's a massive task for someone who keeps getting injuries whenever he threatens to hit form.

Assuming we bring in someone to play out wide, then I concur.

Last edited:
Oh and anyone who'd sell Fellaini at this point is barmy.

If we can't keep hold of him as he wants to leave, then I say sell him and keep Rodders. But right now if we had to sell one of our 3 main assets; Baines, Fellaini and Rodwell, then surely it would have to be Rodwell? I think he'll be a fantastic player some day, but I'd rather sell someone who isn't integral to the team now for big bucks than players like Fellaini and Baines -- who are integral.

You could be right. I would - no secret here - offload Fellaini for £25 m. and use the money to buy McCarthy and Morrisson.

SIMON-CONFUSED-GIF.gif

Hopefully we will keep all of them, and like RFUS said Henderson is playing in a lot weaker midfield. Rodders will come good have faith!!

So it seems that Jordan Henderson is moving to the Dark Side within a couple of days for £18,5 m., and it got me thinking that there is no way in hell we will get £25 m. for Rodwell.

Henderson is a regular and has already received his full international call-up, also compare these stats for this season:

Rodwell:
Games: 28 (11)
Goals: 1
Assists: 2
Yellow cards: 6

Henderson:
Games: 38 (1)
Goals: 3
Assists: 5
Yellow cards: 2

THIS is what i was on about. Henderson, Albrighton, Jones. These are all under 21 regulars, and first team regulars for their clubs, they can command figures of £15-20m.

Ultimately, Rodwell isn't good enough to play week in week out for us, it puzzles me why people expect United or City to pay £25-30m for a player who isn't going to play week in week out for them. He needs games to realise his potential, he won't get that at United, and he may not prove good enough to get that here yet.

I'm not barmy, but i'm still down for selling Rodwell and Fellaini, purely because i think the money we could get for them is more than their value to the team If we can get £20m for Fellaini and £20m for Rodwell, i think we'll have done well and can use that money to restructure, build a better all round team. £40m for the pair of them is enough to replace both with enough left over. I still insist they'll not be worth much more than they are now I don't want to sell Baines, its just whether or not he wants to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS is what i was on about. Henderson, Albrighton, Jones. These are all under 21 regulars, and first team regulars for their clubs, they can command figures of £15-20m.

Bottom line, Rodwell isn't good enough to play week in week out for us, it puzzles me why people expect United or City to pay £25-30m for a player who isn't going to play week in week out for them. He needs games to realise his 'potential', he won't get that at United, and he may not prove good enough to get that here yet !.

I'm not barmy, but i'm still down for selling Rodwell and Fellaini. If we can get £20m for Fellaini and £20m for Rodwell, i think we'll have done well and can use that money to restructure, build a better all round team. I still insist they'll not be worth much more than they are now I don't want to sell Baines, its just whether or not he wants to go.

Cookachoo in negative post shocker.

*Sings: "ARE YOU DAVEK IN DISGUISE? ARE YOU DAVEK IN DISGUISE? AAAAAAAARREEEE YOU DAVEK IN DIIIIISGUISE!?"

I know my preference for the two James'es is not well-like. I do believe that McCarthy will develope into at Roy Keane type of midfielder and Morrisson like Scholes.

Oh and anyone who'd sell Fellaini at this point is barmy.

If we can't keep hold of him as he wants to leave, then I say sell him and keep Rodders. But right now if we had to sell one of our 3 main assets; Baines, Fellaini and Rodwell, then surely it would have to be Rodwell? I think he'll be a fantastic player some day, but I'd rather sell someone who isn't integral to the team now for big bucks than players like Fellaini and Baines -- who are integral.
I still have doubts about him to be honest. Yes he is superb at breaking up play and is a good header of the ball. However he has no pace, creates no assists and his goals have dried up after the first season. For £15 m. the least one can expect is a good work rate and not being shy about getting stuck-in. I still believe his is a limited player. Great at what he does, but not the box-to-box midfielder that we all hoped he would be.

It depends who's buying him really, Liverpool aren't seen in anywhere near the same light as City or United so won't be mugged (relatively) for a young player whereas since £25 mil has been the rumoured price for Rodwell from the start, we can ask for it.

We don't need to sell any players so we can effectively charge what we like if teams who can effectively pay what they like come knocking. It's not a business in the transfer market at the minute, it's all political.

Status
Not open for further replies.