2020/21 Robin Olsen

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't bring Olsen in to replace Pickford. We brought him in as a steadier presence to push Pickford for his place, and force Pickford to make our long-term decision about him for us.

It's unreasonable to expect more than 'serviceable' from Olsen. He is what he is, and should we keep him on he's at the level you can expect from a Prem backup.

We didn't bring Olsen in to replace Pickford. We brought him in as a steadier presence to push Pickford for his place, and force Pickford to make our long-term decision about him for us.

It's unreasonable to expect more than 'serviceable' from Olsen. He is what he is, and should we keep him on he's at the level you can expect from a Prem backup.
This basically.

I don't even think he has been that bad for us. Last night he made some decent saves. He was reticent at corners but the delivery was excellent last night, as it was against United. Sometimes you need the defenders to defend too, but in the last 2 games they haven't, at least from set pieces anyway.

Pickford is still our number 1 and has the better upside of either keeper. He was our best player in his first season, and that player is still in there somewhere. Most of his issues are down to mental strength, and it's probably Carlo's biggest challenge to sort his head out. If he can't do that by the end of he season then I think we'll look to bring in a new keeper. But there aren't many about. Olsen certainly isn't the answer, though I'm happy with him being our number 2.

Did some great saves tonight no doubt, but just like the utd game he got caught flat footed for two goals this match, twice he never claimed balls hit at pace that flashed across his 6 yard box, not sure that he's better than Pickford but he's no worse, neither are the answer. Think romeo would of been the one
Not sure a 3rd choice keeper from another team will do better. He rarely plays these days.

I agree. But if we'd been beaten 5-4 last night I think the feeling today would be that he's let a fair few goals in all told and that we really need to get shut of Pickford and him and get a top class GK in ASAP.

I agree.

There seems to be a dearth of top class goalkeepers around, in the Premier League certainly.

I'm not sure I recall a time we had a decent back up to our Number 1, I would be happy to see Olsen stick around because he seems what you would want as a backup - does the basics right, the defence seem confident in him. He's probably to good to be a bench warmer really.

I know this: I'm not tense everytime the opposition has a shot on target, I don't feel that way with Pickford. Same goes for when Olsen catches a cross I don't expect him to drop it to the opposition.

I agree.

There seems to be a dearth of top class goalkeepers around, in the Premier League certainly.

I'm not sure I recall a time we had a decent back up to our Number 1, I would be happy to see Olsen stick around because he seems what you would want as a backup - does the basics right, the defence seem confident in him. He's probably to good to be a bench warmer really.

I know this: I'm not tense everytime the opposition has a shot on target, I don't feel that way with Pickford. Same goes for when Olsen catches a cross I don't expect him to drop it to the opposition.
Yes, retain Olsen as #2. The much touted Donnarumma looks a long shot because of wages (over €7m per year Raiola is trying to negotiate for him). I'd be looking to bring in Pope, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.