Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just love how he hides behind the 'young squad' talk... despite having only the 8th youngest team in the league.

Even more damning, the team that plays a style of football that our team are a poor imitation of is the youngest - Spurs.

But it's quite possible, Orly, that we have some of the youngest and oldest first team players in the league.

Stones/Galloway/Barkley/Deulofeu/Lukaku

Howard/Jakielka/Barry/Osman/Pienaar

How does this fuming thing work? Is it a full time thing? Or do you take regular breaks and have a cup of tea. Do you have to fume whilst showering or when cleaning the oven?

It seems very popular here, but it would have to be sold better to me.

I do envy the phenomenal and unique levels of fume that inspire the megatosh in the match day threads though.

I fume post match most weeks. Then it goes away.

Taken from Ossies autobiography;

"Another difference between the managers is their approach to set-pieces. With Moyes, we could spend an hour and a half on Fridays going through routines because he was so meticulous in that aspect. If I was a manager, I'd probably do the same because fine lines can determine games. He hated losing goals at set-pieces because it was something he could influence."

"Martinez doesn't really do that. It's rare for us to work on set-pieces. You're given your roles, you're supposed to understand them and if you don't, find out, think for yourself. That was a big changeover for us."

"We questioned why we weren't working on set-pieces and Graeme Jones, the assistant manager, said: "How many do you have to defend in a game? Three? So why would we spend two hours standing around to defend three set-pieces when we could work on moving the ball."

You're welcome

Again, that was published a year and a half since? No guarantee that we still don't practice them?

He's actually keeping himself in a job very well. Every single time he speaks to the media, "such a special group of young players", "we're learning", "almost there". That plays like a tune to the owners, and that's even if they're remotely bothered which I doubt they are.

No, I didn't say that. I said we were holding our own, i've said it numerous times. I've also admitted we were riding our luck.

I think that the least you can expect when playing in a semi-final against the best team in the country (who have the luxury of bringing on one of the best players in Europe from their bench), is that you're going to have to defend and probably have a bit of luck to not concede.

However, you do not expect that a referee of the experience of Atkinson would miss something so blindingly obvious.
In real time it would be very difficult to spot,and they do normally give the benefit of the doubt to attackers.Now the foul throw is something different.

But we're above two of those teams. Why say we are going to finish below them? We're 12th, not 17th.

I'm guessing he mentioned it because they're both in better form than us and our manager doesn't appear to see a problem with how we're playing or our position in the league?

From the latest comments from Martinez, we wouldn't be underachieving finishing 17th because these group of players haven't achieved anything.

The thing is, if one of Stones or Lukaku leave, it'll be a new excuse 'adjustment period.... critical component of our play has gone... near to adapt'

i watch loads and i wouldnt have a clue either, i have no idea why we concede loads of goals besides howard doing a stupid, if im honest im not sure i understand footaball that well

But equally mate, you aren't in the privileged position of being paid millions of pounds a year to do so

I think you need to study this a little more.

How many forwards are marked/unmarked in the box? How many forwards are marked/unmarked outside the box?

At corners, it's traditional to have a player at the front post and another at the back post. Players are needed towards the corner flag in case of short corners. Teams often leave a player on the half way line, who usually attracts two defenders. Roberto chooses not to do this.

Ultimately, the direction of a rebound is a matter of chance. Where a deflected shot goes is also a matter of chance.
in the scheme of the season it is a pattern.

Same as before it was goals conceded in the 6 yard box, and off set peices. Kept happening, the same mistakes kept getting paid.

I'm not waving some video footage at it and there is a chance it may be a coincidence that it has happened twice. but for something to happen it is bad luck, for it to repeatedly happen then there is a reason for it

in the scheme of the season it is a pattern.

Same as before it was goals conceded in the 6 yard box, and off set peices. Kept happening, the same mistakes kept getting paid.

I'm not waving some video footage at it and there is a chance it may be a coincidence that it has happened twice. but for something to happen it is bad luck, for it to repeatedly happen then there is a reason for it

This season alone, but no need to change much lads

Status
Not open for further replies.