Roberto Martinez discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What sort of message does it send out to players fighting for a place if they are dropped after scoring a hat trick? Kone has been one of our best players so far this season too he didn't deserve to be dropped yesterday. If we don't reward players for playing well, they won't continue to do so. The line up was predictable but it was the correct one to chose.
If it was the correct one to choose then we should have won.

He needs to show some conviction over that...still remember Osman coming in for McCarthy at home to Crystal Palace for no apparent reason (bye bye top 4) and Alcaraz coming in for Stones at Kiev. And Barry will need some significant resting this season.
yeah I agree.

its early days yet though but the signs are good. I'm just not expecting Roberto to turn us into a top 4 team just like that, just to show his style works at the club after last season. I'm happy to say so far so good and the fact that we are out pointing last year already is a good sign!

The solid start to the season continues. It was poor finishing that let us down yesterday rather than tactical issues.

We've played 1st and 2nd from last year as well as 3 of last years top 8 away from home. We've come away from that with an average of 1.5 points per game which would get you 8th place plus in the last few seasons if maintained. If we can keep ourselves in the hat for the cup and get a tough win at West Brom this will be a very good week.

Has to be given credit, he is building slowly. We are going well at the moment, have a good mixture of experience and youth. We look like a team in good shape.
The players are not putting away the chances but they are creating them.
I was one who thought he should have been sacked last year, now I'm happy with what he is doing. I'm still not 100% convinced but I am willing to be won over.

I started the season in a neutral position with Martinez; his first season earned him a lot of goodwill with me that was pretty much wiped out last season, but with enough one off performances (Europe/Man U at home) that I still saw enough potential there to think there's potential we may have a diamond who's learning and still learning through mistakes too.

I'm not blown away this season, but there's been promising signs, especially his investment in youth. The Reading match and the derby are going to be huge, bad results/performances in either of those will clean out the moderate positivity i'm feeling right now. But so far, acceptable enough is where I'm at.

One of you wants McLaren over Martinez? aAHAHAHAH.

No the lad in question actually said to me that he wants Mark Hughes.

I don't think he's the best manager in the world but I'd get Mark Hughes in. He has an eye for a player when he has budget restrictions (zabaletta, Kompany, samba, Santa Cruz) gets players playing that other managers struggle with (Bentley and Bellamy) he's improved most teams he taken over and seems to be able to mix his style against who he's playing. We now need someone proven in the EPL no risks.

I don't think he's the best manager in the world but I'd get Mark Hughes in. He has an eye for a player when he has budget restrictions (zabaletta, Kompany, samba, Santa Cruz) gets players playing that other managers struggle with (Bentley and Bellamy) he's improved most teams he taken over and seems to be able to mix his style against who he's playing. We now need someone proven in the EPL no risks.
No, just no.

Could almost be forgiven if we never actually had a manager. Almost forgiven. Shameful.

I have always been a fan of Slaven Billic and still would prefer him to Martinez. Simply because Billic has far more passion than Roberto, he doesn't just allow his team's to just play the same way and get nowhere. Take today for example, there was a huge amount of space on the wings, yet he took quite a long time to put Gerard on. Naismith did ok but if Mirallas had been brought on earlier, I think we would have won. Martinez is a great manager, teams set up in a way that suit our his tactical mind set. However he struggles to change his system as the game goes on.
It would be easier to say I hate RM, instead of trying to justify your dislike of him.

terrible and ridiculous post

What sort of message does it send out to players fighting for a place if they are dropped after scoring a hat trick? Kone has been one of our best players so far this season too he didn't deserve to be dropped yesterday. If we don't reward players for playing well, they won't continue to do so. The line up was predictable but it was the correct one to chose.
Some people would call it a solid and stable 11, some people would say don't change a winning team especially after beeting the reigning champions.
On the other hand we have people who just criticise RM as they simply don't like him, and will give no credit at all

The starting 11 was 100% correct yesterday, and should of been 3 points.

Swansea is a difficult place to go, and we bossed the game yesterday in all areas
Not sure what people expect

I have always been a fan of Slaven Billic and still would prefer him to Martinez. Simply because Billic has far more passion than Roberto, he doesn't just allow his team's to just play the same way and get nowhere. Take today for example, there was a huge amount of space on the wings, yet he took quite a long time to put Gerard on. Naismith did ok but if Mirallas had been brought on earlier, I think we would have won. Martinez is a great manager, teams set up in a way that suit our his tactical mind set. However he struggles to change his system as the game goes on.

Look who they've played already and the results he's got, 3-0 at anfield, if he remains motivated he'll be an excellent manager

A alright start to the season actually but his unwillingness of playing Mirallas ahead of Kone and Naismith is not understandable.

We were forced into playing a winger-less formation against Southampton as both Deulofeu and Mirallas were still not fully fit.

We won the game 3-0 and it was our best team performance for aeons. The manager has decided to stick with the system that's served us quite well in the opening games of the season. It's a shame that it's not one that suit Mirallas and Deulofeu but I doubt we'll be starting Kone and Naismith in every game this season, so clearly our widemen will get a chance should we go back to our usual 4-2-3-1 and/or 4-3-3.

Are you able to pass through the dimensions and see the results gained by alternate selections ? I'm guessing not.

No, but he did see us dominate a team away from home and create at least 4 clear chances that all should have been put away.

Poor finishing let us down yesterday, not the squad selection. It would have been extremely harsh to bench Naismith and drop Kone give the former's hattrick and the latter's decent form in the opening games.

Status
Not open for further replies.