Richarlison banned for league cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris O'Connor

Player Valuation: £35m
The Echo says its the next three league games but I think this is wrong

The new rules brought in have a loophole in them around red cards

An fictitious possible future example was quoted by associated press and used in some papers...

Finally, that has changed.
From this season, yellow cards picked up in Premier League or EFL matches will only be relevant to that competition.

So bookings picked up next season will only apply to the competition they are in

Five Prem bookings before the mid-way point of the season will bring an automatic one-game ban. As will 10 by the 32-game point.

But you need to be booked twice in either the Carabao Cup or FA Cup to be banned from the next game in that season’s competition

Yet while the change was welcome, one aspect of the new regulations was allowed to pass through unnoticed.
And that is a flaw which opens the possibility for a manipulative, savvy and street-wise gaffer to “game” the whole system to the benefit of their own team.

Let’s just take the weekend of October 27.

The following midweek is the Carabao Cup fourth round. Four days later, another key Prem weekend.

Let us suppose that your key defender has four Prem bookings going into the first weekend.
One more and he will be banned for the next league match, in a weekend in which, as it so happens, Arsenal host Liverpool.
An hour into a game you are winning comfortably, and that defender gets caught the wrong side of the striker and decides to “take the hit” and bring him down.

One yellow card results

Yellow card. Fair enough. And a ban for the following weekend.

But with the game won, ahead of a midweek match in which you were not going to play the defender anyhow – you want him right for the following Prem match – it would not be beyond the wit of a boss to urge the player to pick up a second yellow in the dying moments of the game.

His bookings tally remains at four, with the two that added up to a red not taken into account.

The automatic ban for the red card would then be served in the Carabao Cup match – a game in which he would not have played – freeing him for the next Prem encounter.

The KEY is red cards are the next three first team games regardless.

The only thing I can see against it is if he appeals delaying the start of the ban, if not surely the league cup counts

FA website - rules for red cards

The two categories of match are first team competitive matches and non-first team matches.

So for the
Premier League, English Football League, National League, WSL:

Red cards in first team competitive matches result in immediate suspension from forthcoming first team competitive matches.

Red cards in non-first team matches will take effect from the 14th day following dismissal.

Below this level (step 2) - its 7 days after for first team games

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions#Uggoz6Vl3TzStuzi.99

I think the confusion occurs as yellow cards in league cup ties no longer count for the premier league

It would be good if he could make it for Arsenal, but I don't think so. Should beat Rotherham and Hudds anyway but W Ham will be awkward. I hope they pick up points before then, don't want them breaking their duck against us.

If we accept it he is banned for Huddersfield, Rotherham and West Ham.

For some reason yellow cards are now competition specific but red cards are not.

From Sky:

Dld29u3XcAE9nPV.jpg

Yeh, pretty sure he's banned for the next three games.

So, Rotherham, Huddersfield and West Ham.

Just like Jagielka won't be able to play v Rotherham.

Status
Not open for further replies.