Remembering...Peter Beardsley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold way too early, but when we did sell him in the summer of 93 we were in an even worse financial position than we are now. Hence he was sold for only £1 million and the bar codes got about another 5 boss years out of him FFS

Just read up on him, and he was 30 years old when we signed him, and we sold him for more than we paid for him when he was 32. He then went to Newcastle, and he believes it was in that period in which he played the best football of his career.

Everton were finishing mid-table with Beardsley, and then nose-dived badly into a period of struggle and relegation battles after his departure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Beardsley

Done one of the best shots I have ever seen. 3-0 up against Forest after 40 minutes, Crossley clears and Beardsley ( must have been about 40 yards out ) volleys it on the bounce. Seems to take an age to come down and hits the top of the bar. So unlucky. Quality player and Kendall was a fool for letting him go when he did. Still had a 2-3 years left in him at that point.

I don't know if I've seen a better footballer at Everton. Absolutely brilliant player.

So true mate. Southall is still my all time favourite player and Kanchelskis and Ferguson I love but for awareness and calmness on the ball Beardsley was quality. I remember a goal ( think it was a pen ) away at City to get the 3 points. We hadn't won in ages. He was a top player.

Status
Not open for further replies.