Remembering Paul McClean - Thank You Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

LydiateLee

Player Valuation: £8m
Morning blues.

Just when I thought I couldn't love Everton any more than I do they have surpassed their own reputation this week.

My little cousin Paul was tragically killed in Sri Lanka last Thursday in a crocodile attack, he was 24. You may have seen it on the front of the national papers last Friday and on the news.

I was meant to be going to Lyon with him in a few weeks. He was a massive blue living in Surrey, fighting the blue fight surrounded by Chelsea and Spurs fans. He was a member of ESCLA and attended all our London games as well as a fair whack of Goodison games too. His dad, my uncle, is originally from Formby and brought him and his brother up the only way.

Everton's response to this has been overwhelming. It took them hours to remember him in an official tweet before the chairman of ESCLA phoned my uncle to tell him to expect a call. It was from Bill Kenwright.

Then yesterday the family got a call from the club to let them know that Paul's mum, dad and girlfriend would be invited to the game on Saturday as guests of honour in the Directors box.

We may persist in playing Ashley Williams, we may have missed the boat on a striker and the Chang was warm for the last 13 years....but in this respect there really is no greater club.

Paul will be remembered at half time tomorrow, it's going to be a tough day for us so give him a clap for me.

COYB.

Morning blues.

Just when I thought I couldn't love Everton any more than I do they have surpassed their own reputation this week.

My little cousin Paul was tragically killed in Sri Lanka last Thursday in a crocodile attack, he was 24. You may have seen it on the front of the national papers last Friday and on the news.

I was meant to be going to Lyon with him in a few weeks. He was a massive blue living in Surrey, fighting the blue fight surrounded by Chelsea and Spurs fans. He was a member of ESCLA and attended all our London games as well as a fair whack of Goodison games too. His dad, my uncle, is originally from Formby and brought him and his brother up the only way.

Everton's response to this has been overwhelming. It took them hours to remember him in an official tweet before the chairman of ESCLA phoned my uncle to tell him to expect a call. It was from Bill Kenwright.

Then yesterday the family got a call from the club to let them know that Paul's mum, dad and girlfriend would be invited to the game on Saturday as guests of honour in the Directors box.

We may persist in playing Ashley Williams, we may have missed the boat on a striker and the Chang was warm for the last 13 years....but in this respect there really is no greater club.

Paul will be remembered at half time tomorrow, it's going to be a tough day for us so give him a clap for me.

COYB.

Great touch from the club mate and my thoughts are with you and the family

Morning blues.

COYB.

really sorry for your loss. glad to hear the blues are helping in some way

Tragic loss for your family mate, but thanks for giving us a timely reminder that beneath all the garbage we debate on here, we support an absolutely fantastic club, like no other. I hope the clubs gesture goes some way to easing the pain.

Thank you friend. It's been a horrific week but Everton have stepped up. Fantastic.

A wee tear formed in my eye at this. Superb reaction from the club and I hope it is some consolation to you and your family. Just when you lose hope that there is anything decent in football, this stuff pops up from our club - yet again - there is some vestige of humanity in the mad world of football.

Sincere best wishes to you and yours at this very difficult time.

Thanks all, massively appreciate your kind words.

The one thing Everton does above all other teams is appreciate and where possible give something back to the fans from a welfare point of view. I hope this gesture by the club has in some small way helped you through this difficult time.

It brings it home to us on here when a regular contributor such as yourself is touched by tragedy. I hope you and your family have a nice day out at the game and hope you can draw some comfort from it.

The one thing Everton does above all other teams is appreciate and where possible give something back to the fans from a welfare point of view. I hope this gesture by the club has in some small way helped you through this difficult time.

It brings it home to us on here when a regular contributor such as yourself is touched by tragedy. I hope you and your family have a nice day out at the game and hope you can draw some comfort from it.

It's something you never think will affect you so close to home. One thing that links our family is Everton, and I know this has given his parents and brother a huge boost. Thanks mate.

Morning blues.

COYB.
Sorry for your tragic loss mate. Delighted that the club is marking your cousin's life and I hope tomorrow brings some comfort to you and your family.

Condolences to you and your family mate, I was truly sorry to hear about your tragic loss.

Gestures like this from the club will seem like nothing to outsiders (and even perhaps to the more cynical blues)
There's no doubt that in the grand scheme of things it is indeed unimportant. I know however how much these little unsolicited acts of kindness can bring comfort at times like this.

Recent events have left many of us cursing the club and even questioning why we put ourselves through the agony of being a blue.
Well THIS is why.
Everton FC - not just a football club, but a family, a way of life.
I BLOODY LOVE YOU EVERTON

My sincere condolences at a terribly sad time for you and the family. Despite all the rubbish on and off the pitch at the moment, it's times like this that the club remind us we are part of a family. Makes you proud to be a blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.