Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that almost always gets forgot about that game is we did it the "Everton way" by missing a pen just the 5 or so mins earlier before Dublin scored,
Same can be said about Wimbledon. Two nil down in that game.

This fight has got 'needing something at Arsenal' written all over it.

@MikeH72 aren’t you worried? or others?

i’m worried your not worried
What is the point in being worried about it mate? What good would that do? We are in a far better position then this team has any right to be. We have our fate in our own hands and honestly we just need four points more to be safe (though six or better would obviously be preferable). If we can't manage that with Brentford and Crystal Palace at home still to play then tbh we don't deserve to stay up. It's fairly realistic and quite achievable target there for us. We'll either manage it or we won't & there's absolutely no point in worrying about it.

Two home games
A couple of weeks ago my only worry about the last day was whether we'd still have a chance of staying up going into it. Now the concern is that we might not be safe before then. Anybody who can't see that we're in a much better position than we had any right to be needs to take a step back and look at things a different way.
think we all feel that way but is just abit of frustration which i understand because of last night. Hopefully the lift of being at goodison on sunday and we can end this season safe then.

I don't think our players would have the fortitude to stand up and get something at Arsenal on the last day if it was required. The evidence suggests such gutsy determination is beyond them. It would require them to hold their nerve and make good decisions when under pressure. Nope, not going to happen.

And, frankly, if they have left it to the last day to earn survival this season - what with two winnable home games preceding this - then they deserve to be relegated. That said, deserving won't come in to it. They WILL be relegated if they fail to take what's needed in the next two. We're getting nothing at Arsenal on the last day.
Exactly. In practical terms it was a 37 game season for us as soon as the run-in came into stark focus and we realised whom was playing whom. They could well take something from Arsenal but only if they don't actually need it, if we have to get a result, even a point, I would not have much or any confidence in them to do it.

But in our favour we have Brentford and C. Palace at home beforehand. Both Burnley and Leeds would take that anyday. It isn't about taking advantage as this is down to nothing other than the vagaries of the fixture algorithm. Just the fixtures as presented. It's 4 points from 6. I imagine 4 points may not be necessary anyway but if we cannot secure what's needed in the next 7 days, then it will say everything that needs to be said. We'll end up where we do and deserve it, relative to all the other teams.

I'm just hoping when we're safe and thinking about next season that that this squad doesn't get's pats on the back for a job well done for saving us and finishing 16th.

The squad still needs a truly brutal overhaul and cull, 2 or 3 signings is not enough or we'll be back here quivering next May. I'm looking forward to close season for the expected mass exodus and hopefully retain Richie, Gordon, Myko, Pickford and a couple of others who've been our saving grace this year and for us to add to.

As gutted as I am about last night with missing the chance to put some clear daylight of the bottom 3, we're still in a position where we could be safe by Sunday night and given we were 5 points from safety not even 2 weeks ago. I'd have snatched anyone's arm off, never mind hand, had they offered me that before the Chelsea game. Of course I'm still going to be worried while we're still in the mix, but no two ways about it, we're in the best position of the 3 teams with 2 home games to come.

I'm just hoping when we're safe and thinking about next season that that this squad doesn't get's pats on the back for a job well done for saving us and finishing 16th.

The squad still needs a truly brutal overhaul and cull, 2 or 3 signings is not enough or we'll be back here quivering next May. I'm looking forward to close season for the expected mass exodus and hopefully retain Richie, Gordon, Myko, Pickford and a couple of others who've been our saving grace this year and for us to add to.

100%

Last night has brought a lot of people back down to Earth. The squad isn’t good enough and change is needed or we will be in the same position next year.

Exactly. In practical terms it was a 37 game season for us as soon as the run-in came into stark focus and we realised whom was playing whom. They could well take something from Arsenal but only if they don't actually need it, if we have to get a result, even a point, I would not have much or any confidence in them to do it.

But in our favour we have Brentford and C. Palace at home beforehand. Both Burnley and Leeds would take that anyday. It isn't about taking advantage as this is down to nothing other than the vagaries of the fixture algorithm. Just the fixtures as presented. It's 4 points from 6. I imagine 4 points may not be necessary anyway but if we cannot secure what's needed in the next 7 days, then it will say everything that needs to be said. We'll end up where we do and deserve it, relative to all the other teams.
I do understand what you're saying, and don't get me wrong I would absolutely not be confident of us getting something at Arsenal, but we have taken a point at Chelsea and at United already this season, and we beat Arsenal at home. I really hope we don't need anything there but from the way some people are going on you'd think we were playing uphill in a gale against the 1970s Ajax side, not a team that's already dropped points at home to the likes of Palace, Brighton and Burnley this season.

As long as it doesn't go to the last day i will be fine. With a bit of luck Leeds will only get a draw or lose on Sunday and then we would only need 1 point to guarantee safety and we have 2 home games before Arsenal. Just want to be safe as soon as possible so i can start hating these massive let down merchants again and then enjoy watching Frank bin a load of them in summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.