Relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll live with it, if we need to.

In a certain way to me, having seen us win league titles, we were relegated unofficially a long time ago.

I'm mot minimising the impact of actual relegation either, but we have never been in the Champions League and have won a single trophy in 35 years. IIRC, its 7 European campaigns in 30 years, the "highlight" of which was a home penalty shoot-out defeat in the last 16 of the Europa League, or whatever it was called then.

We have been fed a diet of expected losses and a mix of hammerings and hard luck stories against our betters.

I know relegation if it happens makes all that worse, but its been bad for a long, long time.
When I was born (in north London) Everton were in the old Division 2. By the time I was a year old they had finished runners up and were promoted back to Division 1. A few years of mid to bottom half finishes and then, before I was ten, they were 1962-63 Champions. Ironically, Burnley finished runners up. Not long after that my mum bought 'that' packet if Typhoo tea and the rest is history.

It's almost as if it's going full circle. If that means we finish one place ahead of Burnley then that's fine by me. If not then, as strange at it will seem, nobody will have died, the world will keep on turning and I'll still be blaming my mum for ruining my life ?

I see your point but don’t necessarily agree.

Some of those toxic assets will be leaving at the end of the season like Tosun, Delph and Gylfi.

It would also be a good opportunity to get some fees in for the sellable assets such as Pickford, DCL and Richy and high earners such as Mina, who lets be honest is an absolute disaster.

If we kept a few of the current players who I have mentioned above, we could very easily come back.
I’d be highly surprised if the Donkey and Mykelenko stick around: you’re looking at losing 8 first team regulars, who need replacing and then getting the new players to gel

They are built around that though mate, their wage bills are higher then the rest of thr championship but bottom end of the PL. ours is top end of the PL

Thats why i said it depends on a few things. Id say the bulk of this squad could handle the championship. But we need a striker who will graft and bag goals.
Nothings going to come easy. But i dont think its impossible we couldnt bounce back. The attitude of those players though has to be at it from the start. If they think they're above the division and will walk it then its trouble.

It depends what 3 in the midfield imo. Delph, Allan, Doucoure seem to get in the way of each other, Doucoure needs more space to operate. However a player like Iwobi or even Gordon coming back to help two defensive mids works well.

What I also saw yesterday was a spare man always in the half spaces operating between the fullback and the CB, and that stopped many of Salah's/mane's run into the box.

We've needed a ball carrying CM since Barkley left. Haven't sorted that. Add to the fact we basically have just 2 midifielders who are fit in Allan and Doucoure for the most part doesn't help.

It’ll kill the club; this moral high ground stuff about corruption and resets is an absolute pipe dream

The club is riddled with toxic assets; we go down we ain’t coming back up anytime soon. The city becomes a 1 club city, it’s bad enough now - it’ll get worse.
Absolutely mate.

It’s hard enough attracting younger fans now but once we’re a lower league club and receiving the media coverage that lower league clubs receive (zero) then that will be the end. We wouldn’t even fill a ground the size of Prenton Park then, let alone a new stadium.

The city really will be all theirs.

I’d be highly surprised if the Donkey and Mykelenko stick around: you’re looking at losing 8 first team regulars, who need replacing and then getting the new players to gel
Yesterdays gallant but worthless performance just goes to further prove how much these players have been going through the motions all season.

Honestly couldn’t give a toss about the vast majority of them.

We also just so happen to share a city with one of these bloated capitalist behemoths (at least Newcastle don't have this disadvantage). This will make it so much harder for us to ever gain traction if we get stuck in the lower leagues. We could become your Notts county to your Forest or Munich 1860 to your Bayern.
Such a good point. It’s hard enough competing with the RS for younger fans now, but our support would be greatly diminished if we got relegated. Particularly if we stayed down there for nearly two decades like Leeds. My nephew has never even heard of Nottingham Forest, let alone their less famous local rivals.

Absolutely mate.

It’s hard enough attracting younger fans now but once we’re a lower league club and receiving the media coverage that lower league clubs receive (zero) then that will be the end. We wouldn’t even fill a ground the size of Prenton Park then, let alone a new stadium.

The city really will be all theirs.
The city already is theirs, the battle is lost.

Sad but true, you just have to accept it now.

They are the media darlings, with commentators and all of the major news outlets on their side.

We have absolutely zero chance of competing with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.