Relegation 23/24 Thread

1997/1998 was much worse

We have Englands number 1 goalkeeper, the best young Centre back in the country, a Belgium international midfielder, throw in the likes of Tarkwoski, DCL etc.!

Myhre
O'Kane
Tiler
Watson
Short
Ball
Farrelly
Barmby
Hutchison
Madar
Ferguson

I don’t know about that.

I would have Dunc over DCL any day of the week.

And Madar over Beto or Chermiti.

Barmby and Hutchison walk into our current midfield IMO.

Watson better than any current CB at the club, including Branthwaite at this stage of his career.

O’Kane wasn’t much good but I would have him over Godfrey and the over hill Seamus or Ashley Young.

And Mykolenko is no improvement on Mickey Ball in my book.

Plus they were managed by a far more capable man.

So all in all, I think this squad is weaker than that one.

I don’t know about that.

Watson better than any current CB at the club, including Branthwaite at this stage of his career.

O’Kane wasn’t much good but I would have him over Godfrey and the over hill Seamus or Ashley Young.

I'd have My Da! over Beto

Think we are in free fall and the players for me have thrown the towel in.

As fans, it’s us who will have to suffer the long term consequences when they have moved on to whichever their next club is, probably decided by which suckers are willing to pay any of these imposters the highest wage they can get.

I don’t see any other outcome other than relegation this season. It’s almost as if it’s written in the stars and it’s so typical of Everton as an entity.

On the cusp of moving into a fantastic stadium on the beautiful banks of the Mersey and collapsing as a business before we even move in. It kind of sums up the last few years.

Points deductions, club in disarray on and off the pitch, lethargic half arsed players who can’t muster up the ability to even create a goal, it’s a perfect storm.

I don’t know about that.

Barmby of 99-00 form walks into this team, not Barmby of this years form, he lost his place for parts of the season. On par with McNeil at best! 2 goals in 30 games! I'd rather have Harrison
I think you all think this Dave Watson is 89-94 Dave Watson..........this Dave Watson is 37, do you remember how slow he was at this point! Both centre backs better than him! Especially considering you are using that argument for John O'Kane over Coleman!

Also, if you check your history, Howard was a mess this year! The reason Gary Speed left!

Baffles me how fans think we have a decent team. There's no pace, or ability whatsoever in that final third. That dictates relegation scrap - as it has for years now.

We'll be in one next season too unless some pace comes in. Kudus/Gnonto would have made the world of difference.

Last season we finished with our lowest ever points total. And lowest goal scorers in the whole league.

This season - Only Sheff Utd have scored less than us and we've broken a club record for most games without victory.

In my view, scoring the least in the league, and second least in consecutive seasons, contributing towards our lowest ever points total and club record for games without a win supports the view that this is our worst ever Premier League squad. You need to be capable of scoring goals - we aren't.

I can't believe people are even arguing this point, it is properly baffling to me - the squad is far away the worst I've ever seen (albeit only started watching from 04/05, missed everything pre-Moyes). Incredibly it was also the highest paid bar maybe the peak of the Ancelotti year

Its got 1-1 with a late equaliser for us written all over it
Its got 1-1 with a late equaliser for us written all over it

I said earlier in the thread…draw not the end of the world for us.

But it may be for them.

Their next game is City….the day we host Bees.

Draw on Sunday and we could be four points clear of them next Saturday night :pint2:

More pressure on them than us.

Speed and Stuart both played that season too. Appalling team that finished on 40 points. Balance wise though - there's midfielders who can pass a ball - Speed, Suart, Barmby, Hutchinson, and a striker there who has double figures for goals. If we had that now, we're comfortable.

You can only judge each team at it's time - and the reality is, we just finished a season by staying up on the final day with our lowest ever points total. We've moved into this season and just set club record run of 13 games without a win.

3 seasons of desperate relegation fights with the largely the same core team, IMO progressively getting a bit worse - delivering a lowest ever points total and club record runs without a win.

There's some serious shallow hal going on from fans towards this team. We've just had to watch Doucoure, behind Beto - with Young on one wing and McNeil on the other. Little surprise then only Sheff Utd have scored less goals than us.
This is key. Since ancelllotti left, we’ve lost a little bit of quality each close season. First James, Siggy and Digne. Then Richi. Then Gordon.

From the current team, only Branthwaite and Pickford are good Premier League quality

Barmby of 99-00 form walks into this team, not Barmby of this years form, he lost his place for parts of the season. On par with McNeil at best! 2 goals in 30 games! I'd rather have Harrison
I think you all think this Dave Watson is 89-94 Dave Watson..........this Dave Watson is 37, do you remember how slow he was at this point! Both centre backs better than him! Especially considering you are using that argument for John O'Kane over Coleman!

Also, if you check your history, Howard was a mess this year! The reason Gary Speed left!

Sorry….I was thinking that was 1995 for some reason and Big Joe was in the dugout…not Howard Mk. III 😞

I don’t know about that.

The man is a God and so I don’t want to be disrespectful but it’s not clear how capable Kendall was during that season.

Sorry….I was thinking that was 1995 for some reason and Big Joe was in the dugout…not Howard Mk. III 😞

I was 12/13 that Howard MkIII season, so its pretty much etched in my memory!
I can probably tell you the scoreline from every match in those seasons!
94 probably being my first proper season, i don't really remember a good Dave Watson apart from some of the cup games in 95!

Already responded. There's a few like Speed and Stuart who is missing from your list - sold that season, but still scored 10 goals for us. For me, Speed, Stuart, Barmby, Hutchinson all walk into this team - as does Ferguson. Tbf, I'd have Watson and Short in ahead of Tarkowski too.

That team finished on 40 points. I'd take that now. And again next season.

Last season we finished with our lowest ever points total. And lowest goal scorers in the whole league.

This season - Only Sheff Utd have scored less than us and we've broken a club record for most games without victory.

In my view, scoring the least in the league, and second least in consecutive seasons, contributing towards our lowest ever points total and club record for games without a win supports the view that this is our worst ever Premier League squad. You need to be capable of scoring goals - we aren't.

We have individual players who aren't anywhere near the worst we've ever had, but as a squad - balance, depth, pace... ability to score goals - I think this is our worst for competing and the results show it.
So the same amount as Doucoure & Harrison?

Barmby with 2 & Hutchison with 1 is bettered by Onana & Garner! Hell Idrissa Gueye has halfway near Barmby's total!