Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t go that far personally. I would imagine of the 6 or 7 sides you think are far worse we’ve played at least 2, maybe 3 or 4 of them? And not beaten any of them.

There are positives for us and we look a lot more solid than last year, but there’s still a long way to go. At times yesterday we looked wretched and we were lucky to get away with it. I think we’ve got enough quality to stay out of trouble but I think it’s going to be a bit of a slog to show that.

I'd put Forest into that last mate. Of the others, for me Bournemouth, Leicester (currently) look worse than us. I also think the likes of Wolves, Southampton are on really bad runs in 2022 and I'm not wholly convinced on. Not sure how many that is.

We've played Forest, but other than them, I'm not sure any of the games have been that easy. Chelsea and Liverpool are good teams, Brentford and Leeds away will be tricky, and I still think West Ham will but awkward for teams.

You never say never, and honestly, I think you've got Forest who will get relegated, and then you've got 10/11 teams who could be relegated, of which we are one. But I like the fact we are hard to score against. It means we are not losing lots of games, which caught us out last season.

Think something which hasn't really been mentioned much is the importance of GD in relegation battles. Ours was better than both Burnley & Leeds throughout all of last season so it was significant in terms of that particular aspect. If we can stay tight at the back throughout the season then our GD could feasibly be one of the best outside of the top 10.

I agree, I think 40 points is still the most likely target at this point. So 11 more wins or 6 more wins and 15 draws should do it.

We can’t control what other teams do, teams may stay up on less than 40 points but I’d rather not be involved in any relegation fight. The concern is the promoted sides seem to be doing alright, all picking up points, makes it more likely that one or two established premier league teams will get relegated

I think team can do and should aim to do better than 40 points as I think with that haul will be very very close to 18th still. Last season of course needed to get to 39 to be sure of safety going into final game and as things stand the bottom half seems more competitive than last season when Watford and Norwich were all but relegated by January.

It's interesting looking at the points hauls in recent seasons:

17/18 - 49 points. Most comparable to this present situation given how poor the start to the season was. Finished 8th in the end somehow.

18/19- 54 points. 8th. Very solid first season from Silva. Really should've been higher aswell but team lost loads of confidence from that last minute goal away to RS and played poorly for the xmas period.

19/20- 49 points. 12th. Surprised it wasn't higher given the run team went on for first two months of Ancelotti but then it was in bottom 3 when Silva was potted in early December. Form post lockdown was incredibly forgettable.

20/21- 10th......59 points! Such a bizarre season behind closed doors which inflated majority of teams points hauls. Villa got 55 points and didn't finish top half. Were only 8 points off 4th in the end.

45-49 points is still more than possible. If Lampard breaks past 50 points he's done had a very good 18 months in charge.

I think team can do and should aim to do better than 40 points as I think with that haul will be very very close to 18th still. Last season of course needed to get to 39 to be sure of safety going into final game and as things stand the bottom half seems more competitive than last season when Watford and Norwich were all but relegated by January.

It's interesting looking at the points hauls in recent seasons:

17/18 - 49 points. Most comparable to this present situation given how poor the start to the season was. Finished 8th in the end somehow.

18/19- 54 points. 8th. Very solid first season from Silva. Really should've been higher aswell but team lost loads of confidence from that last minute goal away to RS and played poorly for the xmas period.

19/20- 49 points. 12th. Surprised it wasn't higher given the run team went on for first two months of Ancelotti but then it was in bottom 3 when Silva was potted in early December. Form post lockdown was incredibly forgettable.

20/21- 10th......59 points! Such a bizarre season behind closed doors which inflated majority of teams points hauls. Villa got 55 points and didn't finish top half. Were only 8 points off 4th in the end.

45-49 points is still more than possible. If Lampard breaks past 50 points he's done had a very good 18 months in charge.

It depends on us getting on a run of games, I still feel that up front we look light upfront, in terms of quality. we have this tendency to go all out defend when we take the lead, which invites pressure and is at least partly to blame for why we drew against Leeds and Brentford. We need DCL back firing and hopefully swap Rondon for a better option in January

Performances look much better this season.
But even looking at results bar Chelsea we have done better . Last season we lost at home to the rs, lost at home to West ham, lost away to Brentford. 5 points better from them games and we will improve .

When I look at the teams in relegation trouble I still have Forest, Bournemouth, Soton in trouble. I expect Leicester to change manager an sneak out. Fulham I think will drop downwards. West Ham and Wolves will be fine as will Villa
Fulham won’t finish 6th but they’ll stay out of trouble. Wolves and Leicester are going to struggle I think. I’d like to think that a new manager will save the Foxes but that team has kept getting older and hasn’t done a job of rolling over its roster.

As loathsome as FSW was/is and as petty as his vendetta with Digne was, give him his due- rolling over Digne who we seem to have sold at juuuust the right time, into Patterson and Myko was brilliant business that has set Everton up for the next 5 years. Leicester left too much business undone over the summer. They can’t do enough in a January window to plug all the holes in that boat.

Performances look much better this season.
But even looking at results bar Chelsea we have done better . Last season we lost at home to the rs, lost at home to West ham, lost away to Brentford. 5 points better from them games and we will improve .
Also the point v Forest if you swap that game for Watford at home last season

The bottom half of the table will be congested all season, as there isn't much between most of the teams.

A side in 12th could be looking over their shoulders to the team in 18th.

I'm confident that we won't go down but that doesn't necessarily translate into a confidence about where we might finish.

Our newly-found defensive steel is enough of a guarantee as any that we will not get sucked in, if we can maintain it.

But our games will be tight and hard fought. Clean sheets are crucial for us, especially at home.

I could name plenty of sides that might go down this year, it has the potential to be a real scrap, even moreso than last season.

Bournemouth, Southampton, and Nott. Forest would be my picks to go down. Think Forest have gone completely overboard with signings personally, you cannot hope to integrate that many players into a cohesive unit. But even Leicester, who still have too good a squad on paper to go down, are going to find themselves staying in it if they fail to pick up points in the next 2-3 games.

Think something which hasn't really been mentioned much is the importance of GD in relegation battles. Ours was better than both Burnley & Leeds throughout all of last season so it was significant in terms of that particular aspect. If we can stay tight at the back throughout the season then our GD could feasibly be one of the best outside of the top 10.
Why are we finishing outside of the top 10?

Why are we finishing outside of the top 10?

Cause we’re still fans mate, not as bad as last season mind cause let’s face it we should of got relegated.

We are still a long ways from where we want to be but we won’t in my view be in the same trouble as last season but if we finish in the top 10 we’ve had a blinder.

This season for me is to build the foundations of a good team and that’s happening but a long way to go

Fulham won’t finish 6th but they’ll stay out of trouble. Wolves and Leicester are going to struggle I think. I’d like to think that a new manager will save the Foxes but that team has kept getting older and hasn’t done a job of rolling over its roster.

As loathsome as FSW was/is and as petty as his vendetta with Digne was, give him his due- rolling over Digne who we seem to have sold at juuuust the right time, into Patterson and Myko was brilliant business that has set Everton up for the next 5 years. Leicester left too much business undone over the summer. They can’t do enough in a January window to plug all the holes in that boat.
Ancelotti had lined up Myko and Brands had lined up Patterson. Both were in the works before Benitez was appointed.
Sorry, not giving that fraud any credit. I think Brands also had an eye on Gray.

As for relegation.
I think Leicester will stick with Rodgers for too long. Maybe November, and that will be too late. The loss of Schmeichel was absolutely huge and they are going to need to to some serious reshuffling in January.
Bournmouth will also find it tough to stay up.
Then there'll be a scrap between the next six to avoid that last spot.
If we can strengthen our attacking options in Jan, we'll be fine.
hopefully!

The bottom half of the table will be congested all season, as there isn't much between most of the teams.

A side in 12th could be looking over their shoulders to the team in 18th.

I'm confident that we won't go down but that doesn't necessarily translate into a confidence about where we might finish.

Our newly-found defensive steel is enough of a guarantee as any that we will not get sucked in, if we can maintain it.

But our games will be tight and hard fought. Clean sheets are crucial for us, especially at home.

I could name plenty of sides that might go down this year, it has the potential to be a real scrap, even moreso than last season.

Bournemouth, Southampton, and Nott. Forest would be my picks to go down. Think Forest have gone completely overboard with signings personally, you cannot hope to integrate that many players into a cohesive unit. But even Leicester, who still have too good a squad on paper to go down, are going to find themselves staying in it if they fail to pick up points in the next 2-3 games.
Honestly the only way we go down this season is if we get the mother of all injury crises.

No team with the midfield and defence we have will get relegated. Even with a very middling attack (better when DCL is available, obviously) we're liable to nick enough goals to stay safe, because we'll very rarely be in a position of needing >1 goal to get something out of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.