Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree completely. Despite efforts to the contrary, it can be irritating at times. The sad thing is that we give clubs like Southampton and Watford ample opportunity and ammunition.

There has been a distinct sense of "Who the hell do Everton think they are?" in recent seasons and I can't blame other clubs/fans for taking that standpoint when we have cocked up on such a massive scale.

The biggest implication of this is having to pay a premium on top of a premium for domestic transfers, Sigurdsson being the most obvious example but there are a catalogue of others. There is a sense that these clubs can only justify selling to small-club Everton if they leech us on the fee. And that has happened time and again. I can remember Celtic fans saying it would be an absolute waste if Kieran Tierney signed for us at the time and being all superior about it.

This is how we are perceived now. It's not as pronounced in Europe, but thats simply because a lot of fans have barely heard of us. I have a French colleague at work that had to check that we were a PL club. He said he "thought" we were but couldn't be sure. Thats where we are.
Well an English person I was talking to some time ago didn't realise that Everton were from Liverpool. He had some idea that we were " one of those mill towns near Manchester."😂

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that and we could end up on a very slippery slope if we get relegated. No guarantees that there's enough quality in the squad to push for promotion or consolidate a position in the Championship.
The money saved on wages is insane. Winning championship not bad money either

After looking at the financials for the past few seasons I think maybe the club should be in the championship for a year or two to lower salaries and reastablish itself
If only it was that simple, if you stay in after parachute payments stop its financial suicide. If West Brom fail to go up this season its the end for us next year. Receivership beckons, no money, owner having loans using the Stadium and Training ground as collateral. If promotion happens its odds on for relegation but hopefully a new owner and some parachute payments to pay wages. Relegation IS never the answer.

The only club I have no issue being considered a "twin" of ours - i.e., of very similar historical size and influence - is Aston Villa. Like us, they were original founders of the Football League. Like us, they have multiple top flight league titles and a European trophy. Like us, they have a traditional stadium of similar size.

The differentiator, for me, is that our nine league titles came in multiple decades - 20s, 30s, 60s, 70s, 80s. Villa didn't win a league for 71 years. So, in this sense, we outstipped them for most of the 20th century. They did win a European Cup, though. We might well have responded to that with one of our own four years later only to be denied that opportunity. Ifs and buts. Truth is, our great 80s team was still greater than their great 80s team.

But I am never offended when I hear people compare Villa to us. I get offended when Newcastle or Spurs are compared. Historically, both are significant clubs - major clubs - but they were never regular league champions in the way we were for most of our history. And, in the end, it is league titles that determine status. It's why Juventus are by far the biggest club in Italy despite winning two European Cups to Milan's seven.
Very accurate post of the real situation

Cool thanks.

Generally are we perceived to be bigger in the UK than Newcastle and Aston villa?
It depends what age group is asked the question and geography will come in to it. Up in the North East, Newcastle are seen as a massive club by anyone North of Yorkshire because there are few clubs up there so they will dominate the support and they are a 1 Club City. In the Midlands, Villa are far and away the biggest club and the population of Birmingham and the West Midlands is massive too so the whole of the Midlands is going to have an exaggerated view of how big Villa are in the context of the whole of English Football.

With us being based in the City of Liverpool and the North West, we have to not only compete with one of the biggest clubs in Europe in our neighbours, but also the 2 Manchester Clubs who are among the biggest in the Country and Europe too. That is underestimated by those outside of the North West.

For comparison.

North West - Everton, Liverpool, City, United
West Midlands - Villa, Birmingham, Wolves, West Brom (East Midlands has Leicester, Forest and Derby).
North East - Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough.

When assessing "Big Clubs" it can never just be judged in a set time frame for it to be fair. There are 2 lists. One is an overall list which would have us similar to Villa, but ahead, and quite a bit ahead of Newcastle. A current list would have us similar to both up until last season but given Newcastle's change in fortunes, future prospects and Stadium they are currently ahead of us both.

neatly sums up the picture I think....
Everton and Nottingham Forest players clash

Premier League relegation odds: Which three teams are going down this season?​

By Alex Keble
09:39 · WED April 19, 2023

We are officially in run-in territory, and fittingly the last few weeks have seen the re-emergence of the Premier League’s mid-table.
Crystal Palace’s three consecutive wins under Roy Hodgson and a surprise flurry of victories for Bournemouth, coupled with West Ham and Wolves predictably progressing towards the mean, has placed a seal around the bottom five.
It will almost certainly be three of Southampton, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Everton and Leeds who drop into the Sky Bet Championship at the end of May – and arguably two of those are all but gone.

Premier League relegation odds (via Sky Bet)​

• Southampton - 1/12
  • Nottingham Forest - 2/7
  • Leicester - 4/5
  • Everton - 1/1
  • Leeds - 9/4
Odds correct at 1700 BST (18/04/23)
https://m.skybet.com/lp/acq-bet-x-get-30?sba_promo=ACQBXG30&aff=681&dcmp=SL_ACQ_BXG30

Saints and Forest: Sure to go down​

Southampton are five points adrift, without a win in six, and sinking fast.
They simply do not have the quality to mount a comeback and are suffering the consequences of that disastrous mid-season manager change.
Forest, meanwhile, are within touching distance of others but their horrible run-in means it would take a miracle for Steve Cooper to keep them up.
A total of 21 of their 27 points have come at the City Ground, where they face Brighton, Southampton and Arsenal, plus away from home they still have Liverpool, Brentford, Chelsea and Crystal Palace.
Surely they cannot get three wins or more from that lot.

Leicester: Smith & Terry can boost them up​

Winning the second half 1-0 at the Etihad was just enough of a springboard to get Dean Smith started.
His surprise appointment hasn’t filled Leicester fans with confidence but there is a good chance he will find success implementing the same ultra-defensive counter-attacking football he used to drag Aston Villa out of the bottom three in 2019/20.
The way Leicester scrambled into their own penalty area from the first minute at Manchester City was a sign of things to come.
Leicester's shot map against Manchester City's shot map against Manchester City

Smith, delegating defensive duties to assistant John Terry, has already established a back three of Caglar Soyunku (effective at City after being brought in from the cold), Harry Soutar, and Wout Faes.
They will sit deep and throw their bodies in front of everything.
It worked for Villa largely because they could chuck the ball to Jack Grealish to relieve pressure, and in James Maddison – who has 15 goal contributions in 23 starts this season – Leicester have a similar outlet.
In fact, they are the highest scorers in the bottom half with 41; sort out the defence, which Smith will do by moving the line back 20 yards, and Leicester ought to have enough to survive.
Dean Smith and John Terry

Smith is also a well-liked coach whom players tend to enjoy working for, which should be enough to lift talented players like Wilfried Ndidi, Youri Tielemans, and Harvey Barnes.
The fact that Smith has already established a leadership group and sought their input in meetings will have gone down well.
Now all they need to do is play at about 80% of their actual level and - with Wolves (h), Leeds (a), Everton (h), and Fulham (a) in their next four – Leicester will survive.

Everton: Dyche slipping up without key midfielders​

For a while it looked as though Sean Dyche would steady the ship as predicted, after Everton picked up three 1-0 wins at Goodison Park through early Spring, but injuries have caused fresh disruption.
Dyche’s 4-5-1 looked powerful enough through the middle – with Abdoulaye Doucoure, Idrissa Gueye, and Andre Onana – to grind out wins even without a recognised centre forward, but Onana’s groin injury and Doucoure’s suspension saw Dyche move to a 4-4-2 against Manchester United and Fulham, games that ended in defeat.
It really is as simple as that: with the right midfield Dyche has a platform, but without key players Everton are hopelessly brittle.
Everton's last ten games under Sean Dyche's last ten games under Sean Dyche

The good news is that Dominic Calvert-Lewin is expected to feature this weekend for the first time since Dyche’s debut, while Doucoure only has one match left on his suspension, so if Dyche shifts Alex Iwobi back into the middle and returns to a 4-5-1 – with a target man up top – Everton stand a fighting chance.
Then again, their remaining home matches are Newcastle, Man City, and Bournemouth, and with Dyche yet to win an away game as Everton manager that heaps a lot of pressure on the final day.
They could scrape points at Crystal Palace, Leicester, Brighton or Wolves, although it’s difficult to see how they get three wins.

Leeds: Defensive collapse signals relegation​

Robin Koch's Leeds side were well beaten by Crystal Palace's Leeds side were well beaten by Crystal Palace

It might be hard to picture Everton’s away wins, but Dyche only needs to win three more points than Javi Gracia’s Leeds – which looks increasingly doable.
Leeds have fallen apart at the worst possible moment. Their 6-1 defeat to Liverpool on Monday night follows a 5-1 defeat to Crystal Palace eight days earlier, making it 11 goals conceded in consecutive games at Elland Road, while across the last eight matches only Chelsea and Forest failed to score at least twice against Leeds.
Heads have dropped.
Gracia was brought in to normalise Leeds and improve their defensive showing, and without that there is very little reason to believe he can keep up what is the worst squad of the three clubs being considered here.
Leeds under Javi Gracia in the Premier League

It gets bleaker. Since October, Leeds have won just four league matches and all four were against teams in desperate situations at the time: Forest, Wolves, Southampton and Bournemouth.
Of their remaining seven matches only Leicester are in that sort of trouble, although Gracia will hope for results against Bournemouth, Fulham, and West Ham – all away.
They only have three more at Elland Road and two of those are against Newcastle and Tottenham.
With no comeback on the horizon, and no obvious reason why Leeds should suddenly get better, it seems likely they will win three fewer points than Everton – joining Southampton and Nottingham Forest in next season’s Championship.
I agree with this pretty much!
I think it will end up being Leeds as the team that drop, i cant see them getting over 32/33 points, whereas i can see us picking up 2 wins (hopefully)

Status
Not open for further replies.