Relegation 2022/23

Are Everton going to stay in the Premier League?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool thanks.

Generally are we perceived to be bigger in the UK than Newcastle and Aston villa?
Yes. But our chronic managed decline under Bill Kewnright means, occasionally, fans of even dwarf clubs like Southampton posit nonsense suggesting they are a bigger club than us.

Most recently, Newcastle fans were at it before getting slapped down by Simon Jordan, of all people, on Talksport.

The reality is: we are no longer a truly big club if, to be truly big, a club is obliged to genuinely compete for honours. Our size, like our history, may be a crutch we need to take less pride in in the future if we are to restore ourselves to our former glory.

The only club I have no issue being considered a "twin" of ours - i.e., of very similar historical size and influence - is Aston Villa. Like us, they were original founders of the Football League. Like us, they have multiple top flight league titles and a European trophy. Like us, they have a traditional stadium of similar size.

The differentiator, for me, is that our nine league titles came in multiple decades - 20s, 30s, 60s, 70s, 80s. Villa didn't win a league for 71 years. So, in this sense, we outstipped them for most of the 20th century. They did win a European Cup, though. We might well have responded to that with one of our own four years later only to be denied that opportunity. Ifs and buts. Truth is, our great 80s team was still greater than their great 80s team.

But I am never offended when I hear people compare Villa to us. I get offended when Newcastle or Spurs are compared. Historically, both are significant clubs - major clubs - but they were never regular league champions in the way we were for most of our history. And, in the end, it is league titles that determine status. It's why Juventus are by far the biggest club in Italy despite winning two European Cups to Milan's seven.

The only club I have no issue being considered a "twin" of ours - i.e., of very similar historical size and influence - is Aston Villa. Like us, they were original founders of the Football League. Like us, they have multiple top flight league titles and a European trophy. Like us, they have a traditional stadium of similar size.

The differentiator, for me, is that our nine league titles came in multiple decades - 20s, 30s, 60s, 70s, 80s. Villa didn't win a league for 71 years. So, in this sense, we outstipped them for most of the 20th century. They did win a European Cup, though. We might well have responded to that with one of our own five years later only to be denied that opportunity. Ifs and buts. Truth is, our great 80s team was still greater than their great 80s team.

But I am never offended when I hear people compare Villa to us. I get offended when Newcastle or Spurs are compared. Historically, both are significant clubs - major clubs - but they were never regular league champions in the way we were for most of our history. And, in the end, it is league titles that determine status. It's why Juventus are by far the biggest club in Italy despite winning two European Cups to Milan's seven.
Excellent posts. Thanks.

Last edited:

If we went into the championship, which I don't think will happen, would we be the biggest club to be relegated from the top division in the modern premier league era?

I've been looking at recent prem clubs who went down and had some had success in the prem era , some have come back up

Aston Villa
Newcastle
Leeds
Norwich
Stoke
Watford
Swansea (2013 league Cup winners)
Portsmouth (2008 fa cup winners)
Wigan (2013 fa cup winners)
Southampton
WBA
Wolves
West ham
Sheff wed

Only villa and Newcastle have a case with us?
no because we have been rubbish for years

After looking at the financials for the past few seasons I think maybe the club should be in the championship for a year or two to lower salaries and reastablish itself

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that and we could end up on a very slippery slope if we get relegated. No guarantees that there's enough quality in the squad to push for promotion or consolidate a position in the Championship.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that and we could end up on a very slippery slope if we get relegated. No guarantees that there's enough quality in the squad to push for promotion or consolidate a position in the Championship.
If there’s one thing the club absolutely do not want right now, it’s lower income.

We would have to sell our most saleable assets, the money brought in will likely go to pay off the increasing debts and losses and what’s left of the squad almost certainly doesn’t get promoted.

Edit: Just realised I’ve replied to the wrong post, but I’m too lazy to change it now.

Yes. But our chronic managed decline under Bill Kewnright means, occasionally, fans of even dwarf clubs like Southampton posit nonsense suggesting they are a bigger club than us.

Most recently, Newcastle fans were at it before getting slapped down by Simon Jordan, of all people, on Talksport.

The reality is: we are no longer a truly big club if, to be truly big, a club is obliged to genuinely compete for honours. Our size, like our history, may be a crutch we need to take less pride in in the future if we are to restore ourselves to our former glory.
I agree completely. Despite efforts to the contrary, it can be irritating at times. The sad thing is that we give clubs like Southampton and Watford ample opportunity and ammunition.

There has been a distinct sense of "Who the hell do Everton think they are?" in recent seasons and I can't blame other clubs/fans for taking that standpoint when we have cocked up on such a massive scale.

The biggest implication of this is having to pay a premium on top of a premium for domestic transfers, Sigurdsson being the most obvious example but there are a catalogue of others. There is a sense that these clubs can only justify selling to small-club Everton if they leech us on the fee. And that has happened time and again. I can remember Celtic fans saying it would be an absolute waste if Kieran Tierney signed for us at the time and being all superior about it.

This is how we are perceived now. It's not as pronounced in Europe, but thats simply because a lot of fans have barely heard of us. I have a French colleague at work that had to check that we were a PL club. He said he "thought" we were but couldn't be sure. Thats where we are.

Oh definitely. Said in a previous thread you're talking 10+ players going.
7 contract expiries.
Coady and Vingere loan deals ending.
Gomes, Alli, Gbamin will be out

Maupay
and Onana no doubt will be sold.

It's gonna be tough.

You’ve certainly got more faith than me. Could easily see those players hanging around and continuing to drain us in the Championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.