Homepage Update: Reflections on the derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

catcherintherye

Player Valuation: £80m
catcherintherye submitted an update to GrandOldTeam's homepage

Reflections on the derby
2lfc-1024x457.jpg

The 231st Merseyside Derby repeated an all too familiar pattern for Evertonians, who are now left waiting upwards of 8 years for success in the fixture. The sense of frustration remains palpable given Liverpool looked to play a weakened side which led to them being there for the taking. Most will look on and consider what may have happened had we have began to attack them earlier into the fixture. Of course the counter may be that some of their players either lacking match fitness or feeling the effects of a midweek fixture have tired earlier? Or might it have given Liverpool the opportunities to counter that Manchester City had greatly exploited just a week earlier in a comprehensive 3-1 victory.

As with any football game it is very difficult to analyse exactly what has happened without understanding the context with which the game has emerged from. Human behaviour is a product of conditioning and our experiences wear heavily on us. For Evertonians the Derby is associated with a trepidation and fatalism that weighs heavily on us. The last 8 years we have seen several Everton teams go into the fixture as the stronger of two sides and find ways to lose the game. The frustration that at times Moyes settled for a draw and ended up with a defeat greatly shapes how we view the fixture and the narrative that emerges after it. That’s not to say that there is no truth to such a narrative, or it doesn’t fit the 231st derby but there is no small amount of confirmation bias that inhabits the thought processes of all Evertonians.

There is a legitimate and interesting psychological question as to how can this conditioning work when you have differing sets of players? While for many years under Moyes we stuck with similar players who it could be said developed a losing mentality, of late we have turned over players extremely quickly post Moshiri and yet many of the frailties remain. Sigurdsson scored a winning goal at Anfield last season. Keane Beat Liverpool last season. Walcott has beaten Liverpool many times. Is the collective memory of defeat in this fixture so strong that it overrides previously positive memories for players?

For Allardyce, who until recently was the last manager to win at Anfield, it seems unrealistic to me to suggest the baggage of the last 8 (or in reality 18) years has greatly affected his thought processes. What is more likely is he was impacted upon by the previous weeks humiliation against Manchester City. While the mood was largely subdued the week before, it would have been toxic had we been 3 down inside the first half. Watching Liverpool would have likely reinforced the view that containment initially was a necessity. While supporters crave a day where we puff our chests out and show we are not scared of Liverpool and look to outplay them, managers (particularly managers like Allardyce) look for the most efficient way to gain the maximum possible return. It’s a contradiction that is exposed in the aftermatch reaction of manager and supporters, one deeply disappointed the other relieved or even pleased that he has avoided a hammering. It is a contradiction on outlook that will only widen, as some of the sympathy afforded him taking over a side in a perilous situation diminishes next season and is a central reason why him remaining at the club will be a dangerous move from those in charge. What this season has exposed is Allardyce’s “realism” is unmoved by the ambition of an owner or fanbase and a substantial sum of money available to spend. It is inherent to who he is. If he is allowed to stay, he will plot his way to 50 points again and turn on the fanbase for believing we should be doing more. It will infiltrate every aspect of his management, from recruitment, to training, to tactics.

When you frame the match in that context- a manager desperate to avoid defeat and a fan base desperate to secure a victory you saw the contradictory performance we witnesses. The final 15 minutes could have seen Everton score 4 goals with clear opening made. Yet the previous 75 minutes saw a match meandering towards a 0-0. Maybe Allardyce will say his masterplan was to win it in the last 15 minutes though I find that doubtful. However I felt the substitutions he made changed the game and brought us momentum he couldn’t have planned for when he made them.

While Rooney and Bolasie started quite brightly, Rooney crunching into tackles and Bolasie testing Karius with a smart shot, but both faded badly in the game. Rooney remains a problem for Everton in that he is a luxury player who relies on his team having the ball and being given the space to allow his technical ability and vision shine. By the end of the half Bolasie’s head had gone, he was hiding, avoiding the ball and had been swallowed up by the ground following some mistakes. Gana coming on allowed us a foothold in midfield, while Calvert Lewin’s aggression drove Clyne back and allowed for Baines to get into the game as Ings fitness began to let him down. Again maybe this is what Allardyce intended but I suspect he made a change before Liverpool’s possession led to a goal and (particularly) Calvert Lewin changed the game.

The final substitution of Baningime I believe was intended to give us a foothold and cement a point. His composure allowed us to gain a further foothold in midfield and Coleman/Baines to push forward further. The law of unintended consequences led to Everton beginning to pepper the Liverpool box and Liverpool be left hanging on in a game that looked like they couldn’t lose 10 minutes previously.

There are some key conclusions to be drawn from this. The most important one for me is that Liverpool are very beatable. A manager who had little interest or intention of winning, allied to a fan base that has very little hope of winning very nearly conjured up a victory by lobbing on a quite random group of players. If we get a manager with belief, confidence and structure this Liverpool team remain very beatable. While there is some retort that it was only a reserves team, this suggestion seems patently ridiculous when the fact are scrutinized. Liverpools 14 players who played cost well over 200 million pounds to put together and the only players who missed the game in it’s entirety who are nailed on starters were Salah and Robertson (Salah through injury). Clyne, Lovren, Van Dijk, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, Firmino, Mane, Oxlade-Chamberlaine all played and in the absence of Salah is about as strong as it gets for Liverpool (minus the left back). Everton too missed McCarthy & Holgate and are waiting for Bolasie to fully recover from injury.

I say this not as an exercise in comparing injuries, but an attempt to move Everton and Evertonians beyond the sort of Kopite revisionism that greatly restricts our ability to perform at our best in the fixture. Everton’s situation is like being in a damaging co-dependant relationship where the other party is narcissistic and abusive. The sensible advise in these situations would be to run as far away from the abuser as possible, though given we have to share a city with our neighbours this is simply not an option, so we have to avoid allowing ourselves to be shaped by the half witted nonsense they proclaim and begin to shape our own destiny based on our own reality.

One perception that needs to be challenged is that Liverpool are unbeatable or there is something inherent in them we cannot beat. The reality is Everton are a football club have under performed against top sides and we need to put in place both a structure at board level and a first team coach that changes that thinking. If we see the likes of Marcel Brands and Paulo Fonseca come to the club as widely reported that is a first step in the right direction, and as fans we need to try and avoid lumping on the misery of the last 8 years of derby games onto ones next season. While we have to turn our record around, it needs to coincide with a wider ethos around the club. Rather than trying to win 1 derby, our aim needs to be to build a team that can win continually in the fixture.

As Liverpool look set to make it to the champions league semi finals that currently looks a long way off. Under the right management I feel the two clubs are separated by 2 players- Van Dijk and Salah who are significantly better than what we have available. As for the rest, put them into our team under Allardyce and ask yourselves how you think they would be performing. Would Mane fair better at Everton than Walcott would at Liverpool? Swap Lovren for Keane and ask the same question. Coleman or Clyne? Robertson or Baines? Gana or Henderson? Pickford or Karius? The squads are not as far apart as we might think, and under the right management anything is possible. Surely the lesson from Klopp’s Liverpool is not how they are destined to be better than us, but how they matched their recruitment policy to the best candidate available to them and gave him time to implement his ideas. For Everton they need to develop a recruitment strategy, find a manager and give both time to bed in, in a process that may not work overnight.

It should be noted Klopp finished 8th in his first season and coming into his third if he fails to win the Champions League it will be 3 without success. This season he has been hammered at Tottenham and Manchester City. Yet in spite of such setbacks they look as if each season they are getting stronger. The gap will unlikely be breached in a season, but for Everton fans seeing that we too are heading in the right direction would give some hope back.

We played football for 20 minutes. Can't call it football whatever it was for the first 70. We should have thumped them if anyone could score.
Enough said really. Joke.

PS. Get him out of our club already...

More Alladyce and Reds angst, but we nearly won it!

I'm not for him being here next year, new mgt, coaching and squad players needed. But we've got 5 winnable games to take us closer to Europe. Is it possible to get in if we finish 8th?

It's just so very meh. Everything about the derby was meh. One brilliant shot on target from the poster boy of not good enough meh.
A flurry of meh that never tested their keeper towards the end. Meh.

Can't wait for this season to end. I hate that I feel like that but it's been months in the making.

Inappropriate Language
[Poor language removed] redshite get the easiest possible draw.

UEFA are desperate for them to be in the final.

Their squad is better than ours,their weakened team was as good as our starting eleven.We should have scored but we didn't.

Their squad is better than ours,their weakened team was as good as our starting eleven.We should have scored but we didn't.
Pretty accurate summary. Where we have a couple of 'donkeys' in our squad, the pairing they started the game with up front were truly dreadful. Added to that, to say their keeper is average is generous. So at least three of their starting eleven, arguably, are of cuco standard.

And then they get the exact draw they wanted today in the semi. Funny that. They are destined to win it. Make this season end.

I dont think it has much to do with mentality or frailties or anything along them lines. In my opinion this Everton team lacks 2 fundamental things:
1: A proper arl arse leader: there is literally no one in this team that the players look up to or respect, they all just seem to do as they please. There is no leadership on the pitch, no one getting in the refs face, no one bossing games and there is no one to grip the team by the scruff of the neck and force them to play better. Great captains do that and although I like jagielka he' just not a Captain.
2: A manager who wants to win games: the idea of let's set up to draw and try and Nick it and the end is a joke and an insult. Maybe away at the big six you can use it but any other time it's a flawed system. I honestly believe that if we would have set up to attack and gone at them from the first whstle we would have won comfatably. That was a terrible Liverpool team and it just shows the lack of respect klopp has for us that he fielded that team and knew it would be alright to get a result.
I don't think it's a big a fix than it seems, make no mistake there is some quality players in this squad we just need a bit of proper leadershio and luck for once with manager appointments and player trading.

I dont think it has much to do with mentality or frailties or anything along them lines. In my opinion this Everton team lacks 2 fundamental things:
1: A proper arl arse leader: there is literally no one in this team that the players look up to or respect, they all just seem to do as they please. There is no leadership on the pitch, no one getting in the refs face, no one bossing games and there is no one to grip the team by the scruff of the neck and force them to play better. Great captains do that and although I like jagielka he' just not a Captain.
2: A manager who wants to win games: the idea of let's set up to draw and try and Nick it and the end is a joke and an insult. Maybe away at the big six you can use it but any other time it's a flawed system. I honestly believe that if we would have set up to attack and gone at them from the first whstle we would have won comfatably. That was a terrible Liverpool team and it just shows the lack of respect klopp has for us that he fielded that team and knew it would be alright to get a result.
I don't think it's a big a fix than it seems, make no mistake there is some quality players in this squad we just need a bit of proper leadershio and luck for once with manager appointments and player trading.

I think both of those points are very relevant mate. I think for quite some time we have been too nice. Footballers like Cahill are a bit too few for us and he's the last fella I think we've had who was a proper winner. I also said, maybe 2-3 years ago the key difference between the squads was the the mentality as opposed to ability. Their squad was full of lads who were driven. Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Henderson,Milner etc were not all great footballers 3 years ago, but they were mentally very strong. The younger players within that have really kicked on and the others, if you say to them "I expect you to win this game" will rise to the game, as opposed to freeze.

For me it is the above that makes me wish we could get McCarthy right. Even in his fledgling appearances over the last 2 years he stands out for me in this regard. He's a really horrible, snarky, aggressive footballer who relishes playing against lads who are better than him. Look at the United game, where Pogba was strolling around the park doing what he wanted, he went in and snapped him thus making the game uncomfortable for him and giving us a foothold.

He had a poor 3rd season for us, but his first 2 for me he was good and his cameo's have been good and would love to see him get over the latest leg break. To me he's the closest thing we had to the mid 90's team, where players had no time for reputations and enjoyed big games, lads like Parkinson, Horne, Ablett, Fergusan, Hincliffe etc.

What the point about the squads missed as well is that there is not a chance that they approached the derby with full intensity. Their midfield and defence was strolling around the park all day and it was clear that their main aim was to not get injured for Tuesday. It’s easy to state that it was only Salah and Robertson who missed out, but it’s a little disingenuous- firmino played about 15 minutes and Salah has been one of, if not the, standout players of the season, of course their levels would drop without him. They played with Ings and Solanke for the majority of the match, yet we still treated them with a pathetic amount of unnecessary respect and caution.

The constant comparison of players is futile as well. No matter how we try and spin it, only our goalkeeper and Coleman would be regular starters for them. Don’t just view it as player vs player, you have to look at which player suits which team/manager. For example there is not a chance Keane or Gana would start for them because they don’t suit the way they play. And I won’t even mention Rooney in CM. He was schooled by three much maligned players and found out at a higher level as he has been all season.

Similarly there’s no chance Walcott or Bolasie would displace any or their front three. That’s not to say they’re bad players, especially the latter, but that they wouldn’t suit the way Klopp wants to play. Ultimately it boils down to the fact that until we get a manager who wants to play on the front foot and whose aim is to actually win games and not just self-preservation than we won’t be winning any derbies or more importantly finishing higher than 7th. Better players obviously give you a better platform to win games from, but we’ve had better squads in the past than this and still came up short. That’s the managers responsibility, from Moyes through till Sam now.

Status
Not open for further replies.