Rate the transfer window

How'd we do out of 10?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
3/10 because we finally bought an appropriate forward. Otherwise, we look weaker now than at the end of last season and it could get worse if Gray goes to Turkey or Saudi.

I think attacking wise we are much stronger .
Beto has to be better than maipay, Chamiti has to be better than simms and cannon.

Danjuma is better than gray and iwobi out wide.

Harrison means we can play two wide players that can deliver good crosses to a striker than isn’t 5”7.

The defence is weaker but branthwaite must be better than holgate , it’s just that Keane is closer than previously to the starting 11 which is obviously madness.

We have the same full backs as last year so we aren’t weaker there, don’t get me wrong they’re not good full backs but they are the same ones who I would hope would improve on last season as they’re more experienced.

The business for what was spent looks alright.

Chermiti is a gamble. Beto looks a decent deal and fee. The loans look to be good options. Ashley Young has been poor so far but Mykolenko is the other choice so.

Decent fees for young strikers and Iwobi.

Do think we look a bit thin and hoped if we were letting two players go today we would bring one more in.

so the squad is: -

Pickford
Virginia
Lonergan
Crellin
Patterson
Coleman
Keane
Godfrey
Tarkowski
Branthwaite
Young
Mykolenko
Onana
Gueye
Alli
Garner
Gomes
Doucoure
Onyango
Harrison
McNeil
Chermiti
Beto
DCL
Danjuma
Gray
Dobbin

its basically 25 players if you take out crellin and onyango

its an ok squad if everyone is fit but obviously the likes of coleman, alli, harrison, mcneil and DCL are injured and then the likes of Gray and Gomes have been ostricized by the club and the likes of Dobbin and Branthwaite have not been properly tested at this level yet and then the likes of Godfrey, Keane, Mykolenko and Doucoure who seem to be getting worse every season
23 outfield players. Of these, Alli & Gomes will never play for us again. So 21. Of these, 4 are currently injured and Gray is probably off. So, realistically a squad of 16 for the next few months.

4, a very poor window imo. We strengthen our forward line well and lost one noticeable player (Iwobi). We generated some funds and I hope we get to spend it.

I wish we didn’t waste the whole window on Gnonto. We need to hope for no injuries to our starting 11 and we should just survive.

Expected barely anything because we are run worse than the corner shop. But to get two wingers and two strikers and a full back is very UnEverton so I give them a 7 for kinda resembling a normal club this window.

Poor window. Yes we have potentially improved our forward line. But two of those signings are temporary and will again need replaced next year.

Defence is weaker. Let 3 CBs go, 2 of which were 2nd/3rd choice. Haven’t replaced them.

Fullbacks have looked awful so far and needed better options.

Midfield is lacking depth. And potentially 2 of them won be here for January. Very little creativity in the midfield.

We needed a new CB, a new CM, a new AM (unless Dyche is intending to use Dele).

January is going to be hard work to start replacing the 10 players who are out of contract next summer. We should have done more of that now.

Gave it a 6. We have got players out the door made a profit and saved wages. We are much better in attack, but are central midfield is the same. The defence I feel as the potentially to be better, with young providing experience on the left and hopefully braithwaite showing us he has it. The only downside is we have no Mina or coady for cover, so Keane and Godfrey are backups and that’s scary. If we managed to get a cover at centre half and a right winger this window could have been one the best in years. Shame that.

A very poor window for me.

Sure Beto looks great ( against Donny Rovers) but if he's injured we are knackered. I read one poster say that Chermiti is better than Simms and Cannon . I have absolutely no idea how he could reach that view. He might be but based on 45 minutes v Donny Rovers and a handful of minutes in the PL I have absolutely no idea.

The big problem is defence and midfield. Not only is there no creativity but there is no depth and in defence just pray that Tarks and Branthwaite don't get injured or lose from.

Also, can someone tell me who on earth plays in midfield when AFCON is on.

Massive gambles taken here.

If Gray stays we have massively improved up front. Midfield needs more depth but we can muddle along until AFCON. Defence is terrifying. 4/10

…I think we’ll only truly know at Christmas but I scored it 5.

The attack is finally strengthened. The signing of Chermiti and then Beto indicates little or no planning. The requirements are immediate & Chermiti is either not good enough or a long way off being ready. Beto looks useful but might be erratic, we should’ve used the Chermiti monies on a different target. Danjuma will give us attacking threat and a better output than Iwobi. No idea what’s happening with Gray.

I think we are currently weaker in midfield with the loss of Iwobi. It was terrific business getting £20m for him but we haven’t replaced his running power in possession. Harrison might fill that void but much will depend on when he’s ready and how robust he’ll be. If it wasn’t for his injury i think he’d be elsewhere.

The loss of Mina and Coady is countered by the introduction of Branthwaite. Young might be a step-up on Mykolenko but I believe we are weaker defensively. Coleman’s return is urgently needed to bolster quality and add leadership.

it’s ok celebrating the Iwobi monies but we missed a major opportunity not replacing him with real quality. In terms of our fight to stay up, i’d prefer him to still be here than look at £22m in our accounts. Harrison might help but that’s the problem with signing an injured loanee. All in all, I’m not full of enthusiasm for the state Thelwell has left the squad in.

Last edited:
Gave a 7 because we cleared so much MEH out the squad and reduced the wage bill.

I would have liked Gray out and Gronto in but Leeds just digging in so come January when they are miles off promotion we can hopefully scoop in for cheaper.

I think we are light at the back and the middle of the midfield but hopefully McNeil and Harrison back soon.

I think it's natural to always want more, but we have to put it in the context of being a club currently facing a financial compliance investigation.

At some point we have to pay the bills and balance the books, to do that by effectively swapping iwobi for beto, and getting modest fees for a few youngsters who rightly or weongly wouldn't get a chance anyway, and removing wages from players not good enough in gbamin and maupay is not bad.

Whilst the media line of not buying unless it strengthens us can be seen as spin, I actually like it. It was like January when a few clubs at the bottom were all chasing the same players such as tall Paul, we ended up with none of them and so don't have what are average players on 3/4 year contracts from that window, or hopefully this one.

7/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.