2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its much worse now than at any earlier point during my time at GoT. Its flowing over into every single thread. Even when people had enough of Koeman and Martinez, it wasnt like this. How some here were and are so open to get down on all fours and let Benny rail them over and over for a couple of good results against weak sides, a couple of bad results against bad/mediocre sides and getting a point against a team we’ve gotten points off regularly the past years is just… beyond my comprehension. Supporting the manager and team is all good, but the kopite-like Benny parade on here is plain weird. The only clubs hes performed in a way where this kind of behaviour towards him would be expected and welcomed is the RS and Valencia. No reason to keep your mouth open for the spanish money shot until hes at the very least won us a trophy.

Here are two problems with this argument which is getting trotted out a lot recently:

1) it implies that getting results against “weak” sides is easy, as if we just regularly do it and as if teams like Brighton and Southampton haven’t been taking points off far better teams than us this season. Or indeed that teams like Villa are “bad/mediocre” when they’re better than us and are beating better teams than us. We are not at the level where we can write any game in the Premier League off as easy, especially after the results we were getting against these sides last season, if we were beating the bottom 13 teams in the league all the time then we’d be in the top 4. This theory needs to stop right now.

2) it is inherently partisan and causes people like me to respond correcting it and further stokes the fuel of this insane civil war.

Last edited:
Its much worse now than at any earlier point during my time at GoT. Its flowing over into every single thread. Even when people had enough of Koeman and Martinez, it wasnt like this. How some here were and are so open to get down on all fours and let Benny rail them over and over for a couple of good results against weak sides, a couple of bad results against bad/mediocre sides and getting a point against a team we’ve gotten points off regularly the past years is just… beyond my comprehension. Supporting the manager and team is all good, but the kopite-like Benny parade on here is plain weird. The only clubs hes performed in a way where this kind of behaviour towards him would be expected and welcomed is the RS and Valencia. No reason to keep your mouth open for the spanish money shot until hes at the very least won us a trophy.
Well look every time people do often say its the worst it has been. Not by any statistical evidence put ill grant you that it could be a fair shout given it is Benitez after all so you'd have to think it would. But its been the same for me every manager. Intense and over exaggerated on both sides spilling into all sorts of other threads. People over doing it on one side so the other response with over doing it, then it escalates.

Is what it is.

See even you are trying to seem like to have an objective overview. But you've just focused on one side of it with many points to made about it. So your not neutral by any stretch.

You're not coming out clean yourself.

This forum has really become toxic over the last year or so with attacks for posters with unpopular opinion.
Nah don’t really agree. Last season of Martinez and a lot of the Moyes years could be particularly nasty at times. I’ve not really seen many toxic attacks on people or anything. Sure there’s the odd idiotic post here and there but nothing too mad.

on topic: odd appointment but seems to have been the best out of the names that were mentioned. Too much sentimentality in football sometimes.

Here are two problems with this argument which is getting trotted out a lot recently:

1) it implies that getting results against “weak” sides is easy, as if we just regularly do it and as if teams like Brighton and Southampton haven’t been taking points off far better teams than us this season. Or indeed that teams like Villa are “bad/mediocre” when they’re better than us and are beating better teams than us. We are not at the level where we can write any game in the Premier League off as easy, especially after the results we were getting against these sides last season, if we were beating the bottom 13 teams in the league all the time then we’d be in the top 4. This theory needs to stop right now.

2) it is inherently partisan and causes people like me to respond correcting it and further stokes the fuel of this insane civil war.
Put put he's in the middle and isn't a part of it.

I see it as the people who really (seem) to love Benitez are just winding up the ones that don't because it's just fun and games to them to see how quickly they snap. It's just too easy at the moment.

Perhaps I'm wrong and they really love him but I can't see how after a few games and his past. We shouldn't lose sight that he is doing alright and seeing we could have had Nuno and Potter instead it could have been mych, much worse. Judge him at the end of the season when we know where we stand. Just because they are manager of Everton doesn't mean we have to love him, just like we don't love every player here.

Are you not feeling the Rafael love?

See your not doing yourself any favors with stuff like this
"a couple of good results against weak sides, a couple of bad results against bad/mediocre sides and getting a point against a team we’ve gotten points off regularly the past years"

Your trying to play down the positive start we have had, as for saying "kopite-like Benny parade" please point me to one of your posts when you said such stuff about how OTT we went on Carlo? We even made fools of ourselves with a giant "Carlo Magnifico" banner, now that was weird, celebrating his honors with other teams, cuckold fan base.
If people didn't persist with such nonsense about Benitez like calling him a kopite and childish rubbish like that other fans wouldn't be going so far in the other direction.
End of the day its all just fun and banter.

Status
Not open for further replies.