2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he went into this with his eyes wide open, FFP will restrict us while we clear out the deadwood and he's up for the challenge, equally we need to move on from the boom and bust policy of the last few years and actually start developing a squad and a style. It's very early days but that's my take on this and I am slowly warming to Rafael, the last two performances have been far more positive and if he can sort out Keane (one way or the other) then we could have a decent run at a European spot.
I didn’t have to warm to Raffa, I already thought he was a very good and competent manager, he has only had a few weeks training with the squad and I think they already look fitter than they have done for a long time, yes the opposition could have been stronger but we don’t pick when we get to play our opponents, his hands are tied with FFP at the moment and no risks have taken with our transfers up to now, there will be more ins and outs in the next nine days that will hopefully improve the squad and I think we will be in a better position to feel more optimistic than we felt when Mr. Benitez was appointed a short time ago.

Carlo ended up a big disappointment but last season was not a yardstick, given most of them were behind closed doors. If you take the Southampton game, we lose that last season. Maybe Benitez was the difference this season, or maybe a packed out Goodison was once it got going. The fans certainly wouldn't have put up with those performances last season.

By the same token Leeds was a ground we won at last season, this season they had a full crowd behind them to help get them a second equaliser.

We were also very lucky at times last season. That shot at the end last season would have deflected in.
All true.

However, I think a higher tempo will suit our players and energise Goodison.

This style of play is a lot better for away games.

Nice to see an Everton team with a bit of pace having a go at teams.

Until he gets rid of the last of the rotting core though (Keane, Coleman, Davies, Siggurdson, Gomes) there’ll always be a player in the line up who will throw games away for him and we won’t fulfill our potential.

Should be sat here on 6 points zero goals conceded. Thanks to Michael Keane we’re not.

The thing with carlos first 6 games was that it gave me the impression a few choice signings like James stood out whilst the rest was still performing very badly. Carlo kept those on a leash and very close to the keeper. The only real team worthy performance was the game vs Spurs. Now it looks different, with the entire team performing much more cohesive. Even without last years first 6 game star James.

I didn't want him one bit, but from what I've seen of the two matches so far he clearly knows what the fans want to see on the field and it's got us 4 points from 6 so far. I was listening to Guardiola after yesterday's City match and he said something like that he didn't want his players running as much, as he wanted the ball to do the work. I doubt our players are up to the passing quality of City currently, so we have to try to unlock teams with pace. Too many previous managers have tried to teach them to play a passing game and failed miserably. Clearly our (bad language removed in advance) defence needs major work though.

The fitness thing is real.

Leeds is supposedly this high energy attacking side, and we were running rings around them in the last ten minutes, at their stadium, in front of their crowd.
I agree our fitness is a big improvement by the looks of things but just on Leeds I don’t think you can discount the fact it was their first game at home in front of their own fans. Their adrenaline was probably pumping early on and left little in the tank later on. Don’t get me wrong so far we look much fitter but I do think Leeds will improve at home once they’re used to playing I front of their fans again and find a balance

Status
Not open for further replies.