Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing to do with fear - after God knows how many years of appointing soft managers being thrown under the bus by the dressing room we finally bring in a bloke with rhino thick skin and balls of steel who will rebuild the squad and get rid of the troublemakers yet the Cult want him out before a ball has been kicked because they have Stockholm Syndrome and want more of the same "family club" nonsense.
Kev I salute you this what I think they hired him
Our squad is mentally weak and lacks real strong leadership … the warm arm round the shoulder manager won’t share them up
A tough one can

No, I'm attacking the bellends abusing someone on their appearance because he had a job once upon a time.

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture and how ludicrous it is. He's been nothing but respectful since he arrived, said nothing wrong, and what does he get - constant abuse and pig emojis.

It's disgusting. It's not about "agreeing" with me, it's well beyond that, it's about not being a tit.
Curious if you joined in the Fat Spanish Waiter chants at the derbies?

Sound, and so you aren't going to post abuse are you - you just would have felt the club could have went in a different direction. That's opinion. It's valid.

So I'm not talking about you or anyone like you.

I try to be consistent so I have to admit that this is squad is not good enough and full of players who have poor effort levels. No manager can push us on when no attempts are made to overhaul the squad.

I just dont think Benitez is the manager to push us forward at any stage.

I try to be consistent so I have to admit that this is squad is not good enough and full of players who have poor effort levels. No manager can push us on when no attempts are made to overhaul the squad.

I just dont think Benitez is the manager to push us forward at any stage.

Fine?

Point being managers aren't the main problem at Everton over the last decade. So its fine to be unhappy about the managerial choice, which i am, but we cant forget the woeful performances of some of our players under several managers.

I know I'm getting lost in my own points here a bit. I think what I'm trying to say is that I really did not want Benitez, but I dont think there is any manager in world football who can be a success here until serious attempts are made to completely overhaul the squad.

So I dont think we need any fans out of the club. We need to move on the same players who have failed repeatedly under several managers and over several seasons.

he won a european cup, two italian cups and the championship

to suggest he has done nothing is just disrespectful
He’s only won one Italian cup the other was the super coppa , their charity shield . I think he won in it in 2010 and the next winner was raneri , The year after he won the champions league frank rijkaard won it , the year after he won la liga del bosque . My point being I wouldn’t have any the blokes who followed him on my shortlist .

Look the fella has certainly won the trophies but a lot of it was years ago , his champions league was 16 years ago . more recently he relegated and promoted the horse punchers and took a jolly on semi retirement in China. If you’re going to cause this division I’d hope for more .

No, I'm attacking the bellends abusing someone on their appearance because he had a job once upon a time.

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture and how ludicrous it is. He's been nothing but respectful since he arrived, said nothing wrong, and what does he get - constant abuse and pig emojis.

It's disgusting. It's not about "agreeing" with me, it's well beyond that, it's about not being a tit.
Good God! what a sensitive soul you must be!
It’s football and as football fans we generally and historically voice our opinions robustly and in the vernacular.
I very much doubt our current manager cares what we think of him or the epithets we direct at him and I very much doubt he needs you to defend his honour.
But if insulting fellow Evertonians in defence of a Spanish multi millionaire is what floats your boat , go for it big fella.

I really wonder, do you see the irony/hypocrisy of saying "those fans need to be gone from the club" whilst having "Allardyce out" underneath your name?

Literally just jumped in this thread for the first time since he was hired I think, think I'll be leaving it again.

Nope, as "Allardyce Out" isn't abuse. It's not wanting Allardyce as Everton manager for footballing reasons.

Again, if you don't want Benitez, like @ToffeeTim above, because you don't agree with the appointment as you'd prefer another direction, for footballing reasons, all for it. I'd have been the same with Howe. Hell, I'm not over the moon it's Benitez, but I simply recognise he was the best of a bad bunch at the time. That isn't abuse.

Allardyce got comments about his weight of course, Bisto, Gravy etc. etc. but often playful - this is different; this is venomous, constant, actual hatred, and often has nothing to do with football whatsoever beyond where he had a job once upon a time.

He’s only won one Italian cup the other was the super coppa , their charity shield . I think he won in it in 2010 and the next winner was raneri , The year after he won the champions league frank rijkaard won it , the year after he won la liga del bosque . My point being I wouldn’t have any the blokes who followed him on my shortlist .

Look the fella has certainly won the trophies but a lot of it was years ago , his champions league was 16 years ago . more recently he relegated and promoted the horse punchers and took a jolly on semi retirement in China. If you’re going to cause this division I’d hope for more .
he still won trophies in the last decade, not nothing.

look at ancelotti, one of the most decorated managers of all time and he has provided us with our worst ever home record. You can counter that by stating we have had one of our best away performances but we still finished 10th after being top of the league in October and a newly promoted Leeds side finished above us.

maybe we should just stop trophy counting and lets see how the team plays this season under him and judge Benitez after a few games

i will any criticism until after we have started playing games

Yes, an obnoxious, hateful person, definitely fits that description.

To be fair, Benitez does come across as a decent bloke. I've always thought that.

Anyone arguing differently is, in my view, fabricating reasoning to justify their dislike.

It's really that simple really.

Sure, criticise but the personal abuse isn't right.

Good God! what a sensitive soul you must be!
It’s football and as football fans we generally and historically voice our opinions robustly and in the vernacular.
I very much doubt our current manager cares what we think of him or the epithets we direct at him and I very much doubt he needs you to defend his honour.
But if insulting fellow Evertonians in defence of a Spanish multi millionaire is what floats your boat , go for it big fella.

Ah, well go and racially abuse a few footballers too because they have a bit of money. Same logic.

No, I'm not "defending" Benitez; I'm saying the behaviour is disgusting, toxic and shameful, and people need to wind their neck in. Criticise someone based on what they do at Everton.

Agree with all of them.

Who would you have preferred instead?
Haha! Much easier to explain why I don’t want Benitez than that mate!! Especially since I just don’t follow the whole scene so avidly to be able to quote guys left right and centre around the world!!

I understand completely people pointing out the small pool available making it clear there was not a stand out dream candidate waiting to be picked up AND, although critical of the board over lots of things, I had sympathy with them getting caught out by Ancelotti jumping ship suddenly. Everyone of the few I am about to mention has got a few major weaknesses too, so I am not giving a ringing endorsement for any of them since I am sure everyone knows their weaknesses anyway.
I wondered about Potter but felt no because I suspect he would be crushed by the expectations.
I could have lived with Nuno on balance although a few on here who follow more widely than me seemed sure he was more defends than I thought.
Galtier ticked a lot of boxes for me but we were too late to get him I think.
Someone in the Galtier mould would be it for me, a new Kendall or Moyes to build the club and create a new era.
If the pool is small and no good permanent appointment was possible, I would have considered a temporary appointment of Ferguson, with no belief that he would be the man long-term but that he could hold the fort until we could get the person who ticks all (or at least more) the boxes in the reasonably near future. Continues ‘instability’ but gives chance of stability based on ‘right guy’ in near future.
But that, of course, brings us to the decision-makers in this process. They may well have been wowed by Benitez so I have to accept they heard him say things I have not. I sympathise with them in that they have tried a few different strategies and so many false dawns and failure have resulted. Superficially you can see experienced, available, maybe sufficiently attached to area not to jump to someone else unexpectedly. So you can see their thinking.
Decision to be made so let’s do it. Fans don’t like it? Like we care about that!!! Bill doesn’t like it??? Sounds like a reason to go for it!!!!
Longish post to give a slightly non-specific answer rather than the caretaker approach!!!
Everything crossed my misgivings prove unfounded.

Sit deep, defend with ten men behind the ball. Get the ball wide and put crosses in to the target man up front.

We may as well sign McNeil because we’ll be trying to play like Burnley.

Status
Not open for further replies.