Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Some of the questions about China [whether that period softened his competitive edge] mean nothing to me," he told evertonfc.com.

“It is the opposite. For me, [managing Everton] is an opportunity to show I am still competitive and capable of competing against anyone.

“It depends on your team – but I am ready to compete and try to do really well in every single game.”

He steered the Chinese side to a midtable finish in his first season after his exit from Newcastle United.

The following year in a pandemic-affected league, the format switched to two mini-leagues where Dalian finished second from bottom.

But for the 61-year-old, there is only one philosophy in terms of his education and tactics that he abides by.

He continued: “You have to win, win, win. That was part of my education.

"Since I was a kid, it was just to win, to finish first, it is something you will keep forever.

“It is crucial for players to feel you care about them and want to improve them – and that you can do it [oversee improvement],

“I have passion one-on-one when I coach them. I think they can feel this passion and will try to make sure next time they can do this or that."

Fair play, he talks a good game. Hopefully we'll actually see it in action and some of these players actually improve on the pitch.

“Some of the questions about China [whether that period softened his competitive edge] mean nothing to me," he told evertonfc.com.

“It is the opposite. For me, [managing Everton] is an opportunity to show I am still competitive and capable of competing against anyone.

“It depends on your team – but I am ready to compete and try to do really well in every single game.”

He steered the Chinese side to a midtable finish in his first season after his exit from Newcastle United.

The following year in a pandemic-affected league, the format switched to two mini-leagues where Dalian finished second from bottom.

But for the 61-year-old, there is only one philosophy in terms of his education and tactics that he abides by.

"Since I was a kid, it was just to win, to finish first, it is something you will keep forever.

“It is crucial for players to feel you care about them and want to improve them – and that you can do it [oversee improvement],

“I have passion one-on-one when I coach them. I think they can feel this passion and will try to make sure next time they can do this or that."

Fair play, he talks a good game. Hopefully we'll actually see it in action and some of these players actually improve on the pitch.
We dont want people with a winning mentality here.

So his cunning new plan is to win games?
That's such a radical approach. So simple, makes you wonder why all the other managers we've had in the last 4-5 years didn't try it.
We'd have finished much higher in the league if we'd have won some games.

More hot air from the Raf Zeppelin...

This is some weird political-sounding bs to me

I would also say as someone not old enough to have witnessed the 80's there have only been two things that largely unified the fanbase in my time:

1. KEIOC
2.appointing Ancelotti

Everything else there has always been two camps for or against something even Moyes latter years you had those of the opinion he needed to go and had taken us as far as he could whereas I was gutted he left.

I have a good feeling today training will be good and brands will have a deal sorted

tenor.gif

It's commonly referred to as FFP though, even when talking about the Premier League Profit and Sustainability rules.
Commonly or otherwise mate, the two things are different.
Unless there is a marked improvement in our income generation versus expenditure, if we qualify for Europe compliance with FFP will be harder to achieve than the PL P&S rules that we are already very close to breaching.

I would also say as someone not old enough to have witnessed the 80's there have only been two things that largely unified the fanbase in my time:

1. KEIOC
2.appointing Ancelotti

Everything else there has always been two camps for or against something even Moyes latter years you had those of the opinion he needed to go and had taken us as far as he could whereas I was gutted he left.
I would add a third to that list and that is our new manager.
Forget the people willing to accept him now that he is in place if you asked the fans the day after Anchelloti left would they want Benitez I am confident that 90% would have said no.

1. KEIOC
2.appointing Ancelotti

I remember watching Freddie Flintoff speak once and he said don't worry about getting a good team spirit, worry about winning, as a dressing room that's losing will never have a good team spirit anyway. He'd never played in a good dressing room when you lose, it on;y really comes about when you win.

It's the same here. If Benitez wins more games than we did last season, people will get behind him, if we lose more than last season people will criticise him. It's really that simple. As a club searching for someone who unites the fans is pointless, you need to focus on getting someone who can be successful and everything else looks after itself.

I think the bloke is a bit of a whopper, but I have worked with plenty of people like that before, and dare I say it I'm sure plenty of people think I am a whopper too (with some justification). But life isn't about getting on with everyone, it's about being successful. Whatever my personal view of him is irrelevant, he is here to win, and if he does I will give him credit. I suppose I'm not so vain that if someone does a good job I can't park my personal feelings for them.

On the flip side, I really liked Martinez on a personal level. He seemed a lovely, charming, kind man who really got the club. But his record wasn't good enough in the end.

As a player, I'd want to hear that my manager wants to invest in me. He talks a lot about ensuring each and every player in our squad plays to their absolute maximum, something that I've not heard from recent managers.

I've grown to like him. His passion for the game is obvious and I feel like he has come here with the right mentality.

Here's to a solid season.

Status
Not open for further replies.