Quality or Quantity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

navidson

Player Valuation: £70m
I think we can all agree that this summer is a particularly important one for Everton in terms of transfers. Last summer was a particularly fruitful one in terms of improving the quality of squad, but a few recent games (and especially last night) really showed up the depth of the squad.

It was pretty obvious as soon as the team was announced last night that we essentially had 3 subs on the bench - the rest were there to keep the wood warm. I can't really remember this being the case at Everton too many times, even during the penniless days of Smith and Moyes.

I know that we have a pretty horrific injury list at the moment, and as a snapshot of the squad today perhaps isn't the fairest time to review the situation, but our 'loanees out' list looks a bit bonkers currently (It's safe to assume that JJK, Gordon, Kean, Walcott and Tosun would have been on that bench last night)

We are unlikely to have megabucks to spend this summer, and it might come down to buying 2-3 for the first team OR 5-6 for the squad. Which of these would be more beneficial to us? (especially if we qualify for Europe and need to play twice a week)

I think we can all agree that this summer is a particularly important one for Everton in terms of transfers. Last summer was a particularly fruitful one in terms of improving the quality of squad, but a few recent games (and especially last night) really showed up the depth of the squad.

It was pretty obvious as soon as the team was announced last night that we essentially had 3 subs on the bench - the rest were there to keep the wood warm. I can't really remember this being the case at Everton too many times, even during the penniless days of Smith and Moyes.

I know that we have a pretty horrific injury list at the moment, and as a snapshot of the squad today perhaps isn't the fairest time to review the situation, but our 'loanees out' list looks a bit bonkers currently (It's safe to assume that JJK, Gordon, Kean, Walcott and Tosun would have been on that bench last night)

We are unlikely to have megabucks to spend this summer, and it might come down to buying 2-3 for the first team OR 5-6 for the squad. Which of these would be more beneficial to us? (especially if we qualify for Europe and need to place twice a week)
2-3 first team players so the first team players we have now fill the bench.

We are unlikely to have megabucks to spend this summer, and it might come down to buying 2-3 for the first team OR 5-6 for the squad. Which of these would be more beneficial to us? (especially if we qualify for Europe and need to play twice a week)
Definitely 3 starters.

RB, CM, someone who can play across the front 3.

3 starters who won’t immediately get injured. We have to move away from teams that are going out with 3 or 4 slow players in them. If the opposition is at their best then no matter what we do we’ll always be the underdog team until we address the pace issue. Even Fulham and Southampton can outrun us.

.....more about prioritisation. I can see us targeting:

A RB with athleticism who provides attacking threat in the top third.
A CM with the running power of Doucoure and quality on the ball of Gomes.
A back-up striker who provides a threat off the bench and can deputise effectively when required.

No idea who our DoF will be this summer but I hope he can find the right personnel to tick these boxes.

.....more about prioritisation. I can see us targeting:

A RB with athleticism who provides attacking threat in the top third.
A CM with the running power of Doucoure and quality on the ball of Gomes.
A back-up striker who provides a threat off the bench and can deputise effectively when required.

No idea who our DoF will be this summer but I hope he can find the right personnel to tick these boxes.
I wide attacking will be a priority IMO. Bernard, iwobi are useless. Bolasie and Walcott gone. We are left with James, who’s not always fit. Gordon & Richarlison, who for me is more suited closer to DCL.

King could come in cheaply. But we would still need another one

I wide attacking will be a priority IMO. Bernard, iwobi are useless. Bolasie and Walcott gone. We are left with James, who’s not always fit. Gordon & Richarlison, who for me is more suited closer to DCL.

King could come in cheaply. But we would still need another one

...I think that’s a fair assessment. If we are to have a successful loanee, I hope it’s Gordon as I think there are signs of real talent.

2 certain starters would be good along with the loan of a hot prospect, similar to when we gave Zouma a season or even Lukaku with an option to buy

I think if you look at the year since Ancelotti has been here shows the efforts were trying to reduce the deadwood snd bring in, positive signings both first team and for youth wise.

Deadwood, which we had a lot of thanks to poor recruitment, and high wages is slowly starting to disappear and it will only help us.

Out:

Bolasie, Tosun, Walcott, in the short term went, but will all go and are on significant wages £65k+, then the rest Sandro, Schneiderlin, Martina, Niasse and less comparatively but equally on high wages for an U23 player, Garbutt also went.

The quality of the players we've brought in, by comparison to the list i've just listed. James, Doucouré, Allan and Godfrey are huge signings which have improved us dramatically. Add to that the signings of Braithwaite and NKounkou and it's enough to be confident here.

He's had stick, but I fully believe in the work Brands is doing here, both he and Ancelotti have a great working relationship, and they seem in sync for what we need (position wise at least, see Doucoure). He's in his first full season, and we feel slightly deflated because we're no longer in the Top 4.... I think that speaks volumes for this project we're in the process of, and i'm excited to see where it goes.

RB
RM
CM
That's all we need.
Bonus is another GK depending on Euros and if we actively want rid of Pickford which I don't think we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.