Quality or Quantity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The right side needs an upgrade - add some pace and quality at RB/RW and all of a sudden we are a different side. Think the priority will be to spend big in those positions

Have to be happy with Richy/DCL as attacking options
Centre backs and Left back are solid
Allan/Doucoure/Davies have proved they can be very effective but could do with another midfielder for me.

I still think Sigurdsson is a good option off the bench and King possibly if we get Europe.

Bernard/Kean/kenny probably on their way out - would be great to shift Delph and Iwobi too. Be an interesting Summer for sure especially if we can snatch a European place.

You should never ever sign a player with the view to them sitting on the bench and filling in when there’s injuries. That’s a mistake we’ve made too many times in the past. Should only be looking sign players that can walk into the first XI on any given day.
Which means we better not see Josh King after this season

Agreed with people saying 3 starters, Aarons, Neto and I really like to look of Bissouma at Brighton, especially if they go down. More than a hint of Gana about him. Think we'll also need someone like King and 2 younger players in too for squad depth though, expecting a high turnover this summer.

We definitely need 2 new starters for the first team (right back and centre midfield) and a new attacker to cover the right flank but we need to improve our strength in depth as well. This obviously happens automatically when buying players deemed ready to go straight into the first team but I really hope that we try and move on some of our go to squad players this summer that aren't considered to be part of the deadwood, namely Bernard, Gomes and Iwobi.

Collectively they don't do nearly enough for me and we need much better options than them coming on if we are to make another push for the top 4 next season, which has to be our aim given the progress we've made this season.

Quality

3 good outfield players needed who can improve the team immediately. Right back, midfielder, forward.

Probably will need a goalkeeping option too. Ideally someone to replace Pickford, but at least someone to challenge him. Unsure that it will be Olsen at this point.

If we got those 3 or 4 and offloaded about 10, I'd be pretty happy. 3 quality players of the standard required will cost a total of around 100m though. We have to be prepared to back the manager fully.

I think we can all agree that this summer is a particularly important one for Everton in terms of transfers. Last summer was a particularly fruitful one in terms of improving the quality of squad, but a few recent games (and especially last night) really showed up the depth of the squad.

It was pretty obvious as soon as the team was announced last night that we essentially had 3 subs on the bench - the rest were there to keep the wood warm. I can't really remember this being the case at Everton too many times, even during the penniless days of Smith and Moyes.

I know that we have a pretty horrific injury list at the moment, and as a snapshot of the squad today perhaps isn't the fairest time to review the situation, but our 'loanees out' list looks a bit bonkers currently (It's safe to assume that JJK, Gordon, Kean, Walcott and Tosun would have been on that bench last night)

We are unlikely to have megabucks to spend this summer, and it might come down to buying 2-3 for the first team OR 5-6 for the squad. Which of these would be more beneficial to us? (especially if we qualify for Europe and need to play twice a week)

Both and 5 players, clear everyone that has to go and the borderline players.

Top 4 next season will require teams to have the depth of squad to be available for vast majority of the season.

2 wingers to be starters on either side, bin Iwobi and Bernard. Right back to take over from Coleman and a CM who can either displace Davies or at the very least be a viable rotation option

We have been buying good 'squad' type players for the last few years now imo, last summer saw Allan and James finally as some proper quality come in and we need a bit more of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.