Power BI - Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, thanks for the advice,I'm learning R and Dax currently... M is a step further than I need to be at the moment, you're way beyond me mate :)

Oh and yeah Flow is absolutely mint.
I'm actually taking an online course in HR Data Analysis and will be learning Power BI, and later R. Can't wait. I see a ton of value in my current role as our reporting is a nightmare. Currently we're entering candidate tracking information in Sharepoint (don't ask me why we're not using our ATS). Have you tried doing Power BI from Sharepoint lists yet?

I'm learning the other, Python but have the opportunity for R. M is the language of Power Query, so the applied steps bit on the right. You can view and manipulate via the advanced editor. You can also build custom functions in M, for tasks you're doing all the time.

On a serious note... this is the beginning of the next revolution. Business will change massively in the next 3-5 years and many of the jobs we know now won't exist. Learning Power BI and such like is a very wise move as companies are beginning to struggle to find people and demand is huge!

Country isn't even thinking about it but it's coming. :)
Have you looked at Tableau vs Power BI for data visualization?

I'm actually taking an online course in HR Data Analysis and will be learning Power BI, and later R. Can't wait. I see a ton of value in my current role as our reporting is a nightmare. Currently we're entering candidate tracking information in Sharepoint (don't ask me why we're not using our ATS). Have you tried doing Power BI from Sharepoint lists yet?

Ah... Yes. So SharePoint lists are becoming a lot cooler. With the addition of MS Flow and a Data Gateway, you can do some really interesting stuff.

For SharePoint lists in Power BI... A list is essentially 2 elements, a list and a library. So by placing the filename in the list, then using the get from SharePoint folder, you can then join the list to the attached data... Plus, one of my favourite tricks. As you can enter your own columns in SharePoint, you can then make a list filter the files that are passed to Power BI.

As far as SharePoint goes, it gets a bad rep but it's getting much better. JSON column formatting is also good if you have found that yet. ;)

HR is a cool area for digitalisation... Seems to all be moving to online interviews, I had to do a test for it due to my skillset. They can then use all sorts of analysis. Horrid experience though :)

Have you looked at Tableau vs Power BI for data visualization?

I started on Tableau first, problem there is it really needs a high spec environment to work well. Even then, refresh isn't great and improvements are slow.

Plus they have a high cost, around £1800 a year per license. Plus then users have to download a viewing tool. To make it work awesome, you need a good data prep tool, Alteryx Designer, £5k a year... Then an Alteryx server £60k a year... Then the AWS or likewise to host.

Power BI works with office, great! It's subscription at under £10 a month. And it's becoming better by the month. Refresh is faster to.

No doubt, a combo of Alteryx and Tableau wins hands down, until you have to ask your boss for the software.

Great minds...
UJy6Rt.gif

giphy.gif

Even the tech guys I speak to give me that response. I end up teaching them and I started in a timber yard. :D

On a serious note, and I mentioned this earlier in the thread I believe.

This tech is changing our world fast. Jobs that exist now won't in 3 years time. I can't see any future for Finance, Lawyers will be a thing of history books, jobs will fall.

They are billing this as the next revolution, and they are very right. Only capacity is holding it back, and they are sorting that fast.

Anyone learning Power BI and such data analyst tools will be in high demand and already are. Job offers on LinkedIn already come in weekly... If you have the chance to learn this stuff, you might not regret it.

I don't want to come across as a panic merchant and would usually refrain from such talk in forums, but as it is blue related, I wanted to share.

End serious note. :)

A lot of what we do goes from and back to Sharepoint, not sure I like the BI's embed in Sharepoint though, I prefer to link to them from within Sharepoint. It may be better with some CSS knowledge or access to Sharepoint designer tbh, but I have neither :).

Ah... Yes. So SharePoint lists are becoming a lot cooler. With the addition of MS Flow and a Data Gateway, you can do some really interesting stuff.

For SharePoint lists in Power BI... A list is essentially 2 elements, a list and a library. So by placing the filename in the list, then using the get from SharePoint folder, you can then join the list to the attached data... Plus, one of my favourite tricks. As you can enter your own columns in SharePoint, you can then make a list filter the files that are passed to Power BI.

As far as SharePoint goes, it gets a bad rep but it's getting much better. JSON column formatting is also good if you have found that yet. ;)

HR is a cool area for digitalisation... Seems to all be moving to online interviews, I had to do a test for it due to my skillset. They can then use all sorts of analysis. Horrid experience though :)
There's tons of opportunity. For instance we have most of our executives go through an exhaustive leadership and personality assessment. But at this point we only really use it during the hiring cycle. There's a huge opportunity to analyze the data for talent development and looking at doing a correlation analysis with current high performers and the data from their assessments. Among a million other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.