Potential cancellation of games - Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever option they take ends up in court. Spare a thought for Leeds/West Brom too. However the easiest/most logical legal defence is that if a competition is not completed the results are void.

Let's put it this way, do you think any bookies will pay out on any results if the season isnt finished based upon current league standings?

What European leagues do will make a big difference, but I suspect they will cancel and void, which will strengthen the case.
It seems that what Europeans do we do the opposite in this situation so who knows

the Government said today this virus will peak in 14 weeks...

no footy will be played in June or July

Well that's if the new measures take effect - which may not work.

The gov are wanting to delay the peak - basically spread it out over a series of weeks rather than have it all peak in April.

That means the 'peak' would be nowhere near as severe as places like Italy and life could probably carry on as normal or as close to under the circumstances as possible. The NHS would be able to handle the strain. It's the summer, meaning better weather and, in theory, people are generally in a better, healthier state.

There's lots of moving parts.

This virus could be over and done with in a matter of weeks just as quickly as it's come, though it's unlikely. If the measures work, then lots of people will get it but it will be manageable.

I can se the euros being moved and fixtures being played in June. Money will reign supreme over any other consideration.

That will be the plan. A couple of points though;

1) Do players contracts dictate a right to a break at the end of season?

2) Once they are called off, it will be much harder to start. It would need to get a lot better to do that, and youd think all players/managers would need to have fully recovered and demonstrably proven that they no longer have the virus. Good luck with that, and doing it in a 6-8 week period.

If they'd have been sensible, and postponed games 2 weeks ago, they might have been ok.

No matter the decision it’s going to create a lot of outrage and fury and have a huge affect throughout every level of English football, however that outrage and fury needs to be met with understanding and perspective given how dangerous this virus has proven it can be. No sporting event or any even is more important than the value of life.

What do the out of contract players do?

In this case you'd imagine they'd get new deals.

Obviously we can't be 100% sure what happens.

But I doubt tomorrow's decision will have anything to do with cancelling the season.

I imagine matches will be postponed and then we'll see from there.

I think the UK should be in the delay phase, but are acting like you are in the containment phase. The weekend could be carnage if it’s not called off. This thing works on exponential growth I.e. it can double itself over night and on and on, Its envitable that the UK will go in to the delay phase, the worry is measures will be activated to late and the mitigation phase could be carnage.

It’s a good point on wealthy football clubs being able to afford to test their players immediately and the results are their to see. Its not the same for the general public.
They are 100% going to be too late - it probably is now. Can't be seen to be doing the same as Europe now we've decided we're better off without them. Our delay phase will be pitiful until they see the catastrophe in the health service first hand when its way too late

Status
Not open for further replies.