Possible transfers that fell through....

Status
Not open for further replies.
(1) Archie Gemmill - the story was that Harry Catterick was on the verge of signing him when Brian Clough went to Gemmill's house and stayed there all night, even sleeping on his sofa, until Gemmill signed for him. A cracking player who would have gone some way to filling the void after Alan Ball ,left us

(2) According to the recent biography, Catterick had arranged to sign Billy Bremner from Leeds. Don Revie had sanctioned the move but they had a number of players who were injured. Catterick allowed Bremner to stay with Leeds for a few more weeks until those players returned. However, Bremner played so well during that period that Revie changed his name

(3) I have alos read somewhere that Catterick made an enquiry about Kenny Dalgliesh when he was youth player at Celtic but Jock Stein refused to consider selling him

What too mate. Wonder if his parents were paid off for him to do so ?

Dion Dublin.

Failure to get him for a measly £1m meant the end of Kendall (MKII). Went to Coventry for £2m and banged them in left right & centre for them. Would've made all the difference if it'd been him with Paul Rideout instead of cottee.

- Alan Smith (Already agreed to go to United before we put a bid in- good swerve in hindsight but he could have fit in here at the time, and may have done well
- Wasn't there Brian Laudrup or someone like that in the mid 90s?
- Michael Essien I've heard we were after too? And Petr Cech?

Im sure there was a possibility that we might of bought Ian Rush from Chester but Gordon Lee wasnt convinced by him and went for Graeme Sharp. Hard to say Lee got that wrong because the player we did get did very well for us.

Oh, and I'm sure we had a bid turned down for shearer for around £3.3m when he was at Soton.

I read a while back that we tried to sign puskas in the late '50's

Status
Not open for further replies.