Possible transfers that fell through....

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_aussie05

Player Valuation: £8m
Who's that one signing we missed out on that could have made a real difference to Everton during that particular era? Now I'm talkling about GENUINE links, none of these silly Riquelme rumours or ghost bids we made for Shearer (remember when we went through a period making these bids for people who we clearly knew we couldn't attract, but the board made a bid anyway just to fool the fans into thinking they were ambitious?).

So, this thread is about people who nearly signed for us, or who the manager at least wanted to sign but we were turned down. The ones that slipped through the net, who may have (potentially) improved us at the time...

I'll start off with a couple of goalkeepers.

The first, Peter Shilton, who Gordon Lee was supposedly going to bid for before he joined Notts Forest. Think he'd have improved us no end at the time, although this, of course, may have resulted in big Nev never joining us.

The second keeper I wished we'd have got was Nigel Martyn in the 90's, who joined Leeds instead thanks to a bungling Peter Johnson. I know he joined us anyway later in his career, but I sure wish he'd joined us at the first opportunity.

Any others?

Seem to remember Essien and Cech being supposedly close to coming to us the season before they went to Chelsea. Not sure how close we actually were but they'd have been nice...

Also Dion Dublin and Robbie Savage in the late 90's/early 00's i believe

Kendall turned down Cantona if memory serves me right.

Quoted saying
"Felt like I'd turned down the real Mona Lisa because I thought it was fake".

I remember around 1996 being on holiday in Malta and we were heavily linked to Jurgen Klinsmann? May have made this up in my head over the years? Was on the back pages while we were there - same season Shearer went to Newcastle for 15m and I thought the world had gone mental!

Kendall turned down Cantona if memory serves me right.

Quoted saying
"Felt like I'd turned down the real Mona Lisa because I thought it was fake".
Think a lot of managers at the time turned him down before Leeds took him. Don't really want to think about it to be honest if we were genuinely that close to getting Cantona.

Scott Parker. I remember being really excited that we were getting him only to be outbid by Newcastle, we finished 4th too ffs!

Status
Not open for further replies.