[POLL] Everton Takeover - 5 Years On

Has being bought out even been worth it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does the period before Moyes matter though? You only look at what happened up to the takeover in ascending order.

Because Kenwright was still in charge before Moyes. My argument is that Moyes worked wonders with us and without him Kenwrights limited financial backing has us mostly in bottom half. Therefore Moshiri giving managers more money will turn out to be a better scenario.

As many have said already, the only mistake - and I appreciate it was a doozy - was spending big on transfers that, putting it mildly, haven’t worked out and giving said players long contracts on the assumption that they wouldn’t be quite so catastrophic as they have. I don’t think anyone could have predicted back then how badly it’d all go, even if you were opposed to some or all of the transfers generally.

City didn’t have a stellar record the first time they splashed their new cash, nor did Chelsea; the main difference was their spending power was so far ahead of the rest that they could chuck more and more at it, and get genuinely world-class talent to make up for their mistakes.

Our cash injection came at a time when it merely put us on an even keel with the others. Players aren’t just attracted by money anymore because all PL teams have it, so it isn’t as simple as bringing in the best players because all the big PL teams will be competing with us, so even though we have a few bob relative to pre-Mosh Everton our scouting has to be as good if not better than the Moyes days in order to unearth gems that a) want to play for us and b) are unlikely to have their heads turned by other suitors.

TL;DR: we’ve been garbage since Mosh but not because of Mosh. It’ll all turn out sound.

But it hasn't thus far, 5 years on.

Not yet, but the fact we’re all disappointed with tenth shows that we are making progress. There’s been plenty of times at Everton that we’ve just been pleased to be on the right side of the bottom three line. We need to make more progress absolutely, but you do not do that with investment. Moshiri will invest, Kenwright couldn’t. Not really seeing the argument for Kenwright being better tbh.

Not yet, but the fact we’re all disappointed with tenth shows that we are making progress. There’s been plenty of times at Everton that we’ve just been pleased to be on the right side of the bottom three line. We need to make more progress absolutely, but you do not do that with investment. Moshiri will invest, Kenwright couldn’t. Not really seeing the argument for Kenwright being better tbh.

I'm not saying Kenwright is better I'm just comparing the state of the club pre and post takeover.

Back then we were skint but we had an identity on the pitch, we signed rough gems and polished them.

Do the fans feel as connected with the team these days as they did back then?

I'm not saying Kenwright is better I'm just comparing the state of the club pre and post takeover.

Back then we were skint but we had an identity on the pitch, we signed rough gems and polished them.

Do the fans feel as connected with the team these days as they did back then?

That wasn’t down to ownership though, that was purely down to David Moyes. If he hadn’t have joined we’d have probably been relegated.

Again, no one is saying it'll help us win the league.

I'm confused at what you're reading.
I'm asking how it's a positive sign of Moshiri's reign. Of the teams regularly above us, our new sparkly stadium will still have a lower capacity than all of them, while also being lower than West Ham's. Yet we're acting like a new stadium will be a vital ingredient in us overtaking clubs who all have bigger and better stadia than we'll have.

That kinda sums up the Moshiri era for me. Yes, it's good that we've got a wealthier owner than Kenright, and that would have been wonderful if other clubs had stood still as well. The problem is that other clubs have got even richer owners, so we've fallen even further behind than we were in the Kenright era. We can't expect to overtake the teams above us by doing a poorer version of what they're doing.

I'm asking how it's a positive sign of Moshiri's reign. Of the teams regularly above us, our new sparkly stadium will still have a lower capacity than all of them, while also being lower than West Ham's. Yet we're acting like a new stadium will be a vital ingredient in us overtaking clubs who all have bigger and better stadia than we'll have.

That kinda sums up the Moshiri era for me. Yes, it's good that we've got a wealthier owner than Kenright, and that would have been wonderful if other clubs had stood still as well. The problem is that other clubs have got even richer owners, so we've fallen even further behind than we were in the Kenright era. We can't expect to overtake the teams above us by doing a poorer version of what they're doing.

Well I mean personally I'm not equating new stadium to success I'm merely saying, in my opinion, a beautiful waterfront stadium would be a great thing to achieve after years of us wanting one.

Recruitment has been lazy you can't just throw money at things and expect it to work City did that when they 1st got money
When Moyes was here money was tight he did his homework on players and bought what was needed for that level
buying over priced hasbeens and fringe players will ony give you moments not consistency
The last 5 years has been quantity over quality i hope the owners have learnt from it

Well I mean personally I'm not equating new stadium to success I'm merely saying, in my opinion, a beautiful waterfront stadium would be a great thing to achieve after years of us wanting one.
For sure, it'll be a nicer place to watch us chase the 7th place trophy, that much can't be disputed.

Can't be happy with the money we have blown. But its not my money and atleast its there to be blown. And new stadium. Its clear mosh is not a footballing genius brain. But he's tried to compensate by splashing. Getting carlo was a master stroke. Just gotta get him the players he wants now.

Status
Not open for further replies.