Please support a brave young widow by signing this petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leicester City fan here, in peace as usual. I hope it's OK to post this here.

Ann-Marie (Annie) Ashton is a courageous young woman, mother of two children, who posted the following on the FoxesTalk fans' forum earlier this week. It's self-explanatory, but please view the video (it's absolutely heart-breaking, but do it anyway), and sign and share the petition. Please.

"My husband loved LCFC, he went all over the place to watch them and started many of chants when he was watching the games in the home and away stands. He would often come home with destroyed vocal chords. City was everything to him.

However, I recently lost my husband through a gambling addiction. He was a happy man but was sucked into a hole after being given 'free bets' which ultimately cost him his life. I have made a video that explains more here.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10159682032749728&id=572159727

I have set up a petition asking the government to ban 'free bets'. This is where I am asking for your support. Could you sign and possibly share it. Petition: Luke’s Law: Ban 'free bets' and emails that entice gamblers to place 'free bets'

Sorry for asking but I am trying to gain as much support for this as possible and as he put his all into being a huge supporter, I thought I would give this a go. Signing will take 1 minute and sharing will take even less time. Hope you do not mind me posting.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/587806"

Thanks to you all in advance.

Not quite a shameless bump, but thanks again to everyone who has signed/shared Ann-Marie Ashton's petition and who has left messages of support here. She posted in an update on FoxesTalk that "Liverpool's forum wouldn't let me post it" so your kind messages mean a lot. Thanks again and keep signing - over 8000 signatures already, and counting!

I've come late to this but just signed it. Awful the way gambling companies have got their claws into all parts of football (and sport in general). Thanks for sharing @LanguedocFox and I hope Ann-Marie and their kids are doing ok.

I only ever gamble when given a free bet. Winnings are either cashed out or placed on something else.

I’m at least £500 up over the last few years without ever losing a penny of my own money.

Don’t want to sound like a tosser here but why ban something that the vast majority manage to do in moderation because of those who can’t?

Same as the so-called sugar tax etc.

I only ever gamble when given a free bet. Winnings are either cashed out or placed on something else.

I’m at least £500 up over the last few years without ever losing a penny of my own money.

Don’t want to sound like a tosser here but why ban something that the vast majority manage to do in moderation because of those who can’t?

Same as the so-called sugar tax etc.

Sorry but this is a bad case of 'I'm alright Jack'. Just because you are doing well from it doesn't mean it doesn't devastate lives, not only for the gambler but for their families too.

The free bets are given to draw in the casual person who may not have the full knowledge of what they are getting into. You don't see a poor bookie do you? So they are winning far more than the punters.

Sorry but this is a bad case of 'I'm alright Jack'. Just because you are doing well from it doesn't mean it doesn't devastate lives, not only for the gambler but for their families too.

The free bets are given to draw in the casual person who may not have the full knowledge of what they are getting into. You don't see a poor bookie do you? So they are winning far more than the punters.
I’m alright Jack? So millions upon millions of people able to responsibly bet should lose out on a because there’s people out there who have no control?

Of course bookies will always win more than punters in the main, they wouldn’t be in business otherwise.

Let’s ban all alcohol (or offers) because there are alcoholics ruining their families etc.

I’m alright Jack? So millions upon millions of people able to responsibly bet should lose out on a because there’s people out there who have no control?

Of course bookies will always win more than punters in the main, they wouldn’t be in business otherwise.

Let’s ban all alcohol (or offers) because there are alcoholics ruining their families etc.

Will it stop you betting if you don't get free bets? Seems quite reasonable to me that if you want to bet you put down money to do so.

You can usually spot (& therefore address) alcohol abuse before the bailiffs come for all your stuff and in certain places that suffer from high levels there is a minimum price per unit. It's too easy to hide debts etc. from loved ones. You can't save everyone but you can certainly help by stopping unscrupulous companies trying to get their hooks into people who otherwise wouldn't have started.

Done!
Gambling takes from society and gives absolutely nothing back. Like how marketing has been banned for tobacco products, it should be with gambling, and alcohol for that matter too.

We all know these things exist, there is no need to have them marketed to us 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.