Players salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Credit to making a donation to the nhs, but they're not giving up 30% then.

I thought the whole point of this was to keep clubs afloat and keep non-playing staff in jobs by allowing clubs to survive financially. I wonder wonder which premier league/ championship club furlough their players first, because lets be honest its going to come down to that. See how they get by on 2.5k a month then.
I read Millwall have done this yesterday, so already seeing it in the championship. They do say they will top players up to 100% though so based on say 20 players at £2500 a month from govt this is only saving them £50,000 a month as a club which puts into stark view just how tight finances are even in championship if this level of monthly saving is seen as necessary given likely PR impacts.

Be interesting to know what the remaining monthly player wage bill they still have to pay is. A quick Google suggests average championship weekly is about £8000 so on this and 20 players it will still cost about £600,000 a month.

I find the players attitudes towards their clubs and the owners of the clubs interesting.
It seems the players would more easily consider taking a cut in salary as long as the money is not simply retained by the club.
It shows very little regard for the institutions that are making fantastically wealthy and look after their every need.

We have seen that the money that may be lost by Premiership clubs is horrendous , over 100m , at the top of the scale.
It is suggested that Everton could lose 40m plus, something we cannot afford to do.
A lot of these clubs are going to struggle financially and I feel ironically in the longer run we may well see an alignment downwards going forward of the single biggest cost that any club has... players wages.

I think this lack of respect between club and player is just another indication of how the game has changed.

Grassroots football is so much better than the professional game at the top (ok standard isn’t) but players and staff (a lot voluntary) do so much for the club and do it for the passion of the game, football has become a business for everyone to get rich apart from the fans and it’s sucking the life out of the actual football. The 90 minutes on the pitch is irrelevant for the businessman and big shareholders, all they care about is money being brought in and what profits they get. I wish there was a wage cap in football so much it would make it more competitive and would make the clubs think twice about throwing money around. In the current crisis we’re going through watch to see how many non league and amateur clubs fold and fans will lose there proper local clubs, where as the PL teams will just moan about losing tv revenue etc... Bury got into financial trouble this season and no big clubs helped pay a few million quid off, a club which formed 135 years ago (cheers Wikipedia), ok its not anyone’s job to help out but surely a whip round from the PL would of sorted it?...

Yesterday I read that sandro is on between £100-120k a week at our club, One of the worst strikers in the league whilst he was here and he’s on ridiculous money. That’s £5.76m a year. Football has lost touch with reality massively, I imagine there’s corruption, bungs and bribes every day taking place in the prem to help suit the rich

Grassroots football is so much better than the professional game at the top (ok standard isn’t) but players and staff (a lot voluntary) do so much for the club and do it for the passion of the game, football has become a business for everyone to get rich apart from the fans and it’s sucking the life out of the actual football. The 90 minutes on the pitch is irrelevant for the businessman and big shareholders, all they care about is money being brought in and what profits they get. I wish there was a wage cap in football so much it would make it more competitive and would make the clubs think twice about throwing money around. In the current crisis we’re going through watch to see how many non league and amateur clubs fold and fans will lose there proper local clubs, where as the PL teams will just moan about losing tv revenue etc... Bury got into financial trouble this season and no big clubs helped pay a few million quid off, a club which formed 135 years ago (cheers Wikipedia), ok its not anyone’s job to help out but surely a whip round from the PL would of sorted it?...

Yesterday I read that sandro is on between £100-120k a week at our club, One of the worst strikers in the league whilst he was here and he’s on ridiculous money. That’s £5.76m a year. Football has lost touch with reality massively, I imagine there’s corruption, bungs and bribes every day taking place in the prem to help suit the rich

We're still handsomely paying off 3 dire managers for failing miserably at their jobs and getting sacked. They can live a life of luxury and not have to lift a finger ever again just from compensation we're paying them.

If it takes clubs going into financial ruin in order for football to go back to normal, so be it.

Southampton has become the first Premier League club to defer players' wages.

Southampton's players, manager Ralph Hasenhuttl, his staff and the club's directors will defer their salaries for April, May and June.

The club said the measure would "help protect the future of the club, the staff that work within it and the community we serve".

Southampton also said they would not be using the government scheme to pay the salaries of other employees.

Southampton has become the first Premier League club to defer players' wages.

Southampton's players, manager Ralph Hasenhuttl, his staff and the club's directors will defer their salaries for April, May and June.

The club said the measure would "help protect the future of the club, the staff that work within it and the community we serve".

Southampton also said they would not be using the government scheme to pay the salaries of other employees.

I think this is the natural starting point to buy some time and free up liquidity but I believe at some point those deferrals will need to become wage cuts

Bournemouth have reversed their decision to furlough staff members, the club has announced.

The club's directors said that criticism of the decision had led them to change their stance.

They are the third Premier League club to change their mind about furloughing staff during the coronavirus crisis following Liverpool and Tottenham.

"We have listened to our supporters and have reversed our decision to furlough these employees," the club said.

On 1 April the Cherries placed "a number of staff" on paid leave by using the government's furlough scheme.

"These measures were not taken lightly, given the operational pressures placed on clubs in such uncertain times," the club directors said in a statement.

"However well-placed our intentions were, we are aware of criticisms levelled at Premier League clubs applying for this scheme."

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe became the first Premier League boss to take a voluntary pay cut during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Assistant boss Jason Tindall, chief executive Neill Blake and technical director Richard Hughes have also taken "significant" pay cuts amid the crisis.

Bournemouth have reversed their decision to furlough staff members, the club has announced.

The club's directors said that criticism of the decision had led them to change their stance.

They are the third Premier League club to change their mind about furloughing staff during the coronavirus crisis following Liverpool and Tottenham.

"We have listened to our supporters and have reversed our decision to furlough these employees," the club said.

On 1 April the Cherries placed "a number of staff" on paid leave by using the government's furlough scheme.

"These measures were not taken lightly, given the operational pressures placed on clubs in such uncertain times," the club directors said in a statement.

"However well-placed our intentions were, we are aware of criticisms levelled at Premier League clubs applying for this scheme."

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe became the first Premier League boss to take a voluntary pay cut during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Assistant boss Jason Tindall, chief executive Neill Blake and technical director Richard Hughes have also taken "significant" pay cuts amid the crisis.

I am wondering what these Reverse Ferrets are prepping the ground for.

A few clubs now have publicly announced agreed deferrals or pay cuts. What do you think our result is going to be? I have been amazed by what has been achieved by clubs like Roma and Juve on the continent compared with PL clubs so far

This thread didn’t age well. Especially some saying footballers were greedy and uncaring (yes, even you Marcus Rashford). Still, it did the job of deflecting the blame from where it all actually stood...

Status
Not open for further replies.