Players killed in conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope to visit the battlefields of WW1 in the next couple of years ; if possible will make a point of visiting some of the graves.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2017/06/16/blues-to-remember-war-heroes

picture89.png

Blues To Remember War Heroes
Research has shown that 15 footballers registered with the club died during the First or Second World War.

The graves and memorials of these players are scattered across the globe and we are encouraging supporters to show their respect by visiting these locations whenever feasible.

We would like to acknowledge each and every player in a memorial photo gallery to be included on our official website and in the official club magazine ahead of the 100th anniversary of the end of the first conflict.

Lifelong Evertonian, Chris Bent, came up with the idea: “To the best of my knowledge we would be the first cub to acknowledge the players in this way. There are Evertonians all over the world and if we can collate images from every grave or memorial then it will be a unique and lasting tribute.”

Here is a list of the players who died in action and the location of their grave or memorial site.

Player

Regiment

Date Died

Location of grave/memorial

Private Frederick Collinson

Lancashire Fusiliers 1st/5th Battalion

15 May 1915

Helles Memorial, Gallipoli, Turkey

Corporal Harry Fitzroy Norris

King’s Liverpool Regiment 11th Battalion

26 August 1915

Ypres Reservoir Cemetery, Belgium

Corporal Thomas Gracie

Royal Scots 16th Battalion

23 October 1915

Glasgow Craigton Cemetery, Scotland

Private David Murray

11th Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders

10 December 1915

Dud Corner Memorial, Loos, France

Private Frank Docherty

25th Tyneside Irish, Northumberland Fusiliers

1 July 1916

Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

Lance Corporal Leigh Richmond Roose

Royal Fusiliers

7 October 1916

Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

Private Donald Sloan

Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

1 January 1917

Faubourg D’Amiens Cemetery, Arras, France

Private James Roy

Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

24 April 2017

Faubourg D’Amiens Cemetery, Arras, France

Lance Corporal Wilfred Toman

Kings (Liverpool Regimant)

2 May 1917

Erquinghem-Lys Churchyard Extension, France

Private James Brannick

Lancashire Fusiliers

10 August 1917

Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium

Lance Corporal William Read

Black Watch 2nd Battalion (Royal Highlanders)

30 May 1941

Athens Memorial, Phaleron, Greece

Leading Aircraft-Man Thomas Robson

RAF Volunteer Reserve

10 April 1942

Kirkdale Cemetery, Liverpool

Sergeant Alfred Penlington

RAF Volunteer Reserve

18 April 1943

Malta Memorial, Floriana, Valetta, Malta

Leading Aircraft-Man Brian Atkins

RAF Volunteer Reserve

22 April 1944

Cassino War Cemetery, Cassino, Italy

Pilot Officer William Sumner

RAF Volunteer Reserve

22 May 1944

Madras War Cemetery, Chennai, India

A gang of us stayed overnight in Ypres about ten years ago whilst in Belgium. The war graves and the last post every night at the Menin Gate are incredibly moving and humbling. When you look at all those names on the gate and see all the graves, you begin to understand how many actually died.

We were on our way to the Ghent Fest, a 4 day non stop piss up and seeing all the old soldiers and their families in Ypres paying their respects, kind of stops you in your tracks. One thing that I did notice, was that there weren't any Germans there at all. Apparently the Belgiums still dislike them intensely.

It's something that everyone generation should do to make sure the sacrifice of these men is never forgotten.

Last edited:
A gang of us stayed overnight in Ypres about ten years ago whilst in Belgium. The war graves and the last post every night at the Menin Gate are incredibly moving and humbling mate. When you look at all those names on the gate and see all the graves, you begin to understand how many actually died.
We were on our way to the Ghent Fest, a 4 day non stop piss up and seeing all the old soldiers and their families in Ypres paying their resiects, kind of stops you in your tracks. One thing that I did notice, was that there weren't any Germans there at all. Apparently the Belgiums still dislike them intensely.

It's something that everyone generation should do to make sure the sacrifice of these men is never forgotten.
My lads did the school trip. Not sure they 'got it' but it needs doing, and I haven't done it yet even though I studied it at a decent level.

My lads did the school trip. Not sure they 'got it' but it needs doing, and I haven't done it yet even though I studied it at a decent level.

It's hard to describe the atmosphere in the town of Ypres, as you almost feel that it's wrong to enjoy yourself there.

We went out for an evening meal and it felt totally wrong getting pissed and noisy, amongst all the old soldiers and their families , so we went back to the guest house, that had a bar and got smashed in there.

It sounds shallow, but I don't think I could handle living there.

It's hard to describe the atmosphere in the town of Ypres, as you almost feel that it's wrong to enjoy yourself there.

We went out for an evening meal and it felt totally wrong getting pissed and noisy, amongst all the old soldiers and their families , so we went back to the guest house, that had a bar and got smashed in there.

It sounds shallow, but I don't think I could handle living there.
I've a very good mate who collects third reich memorabilia. Some amazing stuff.
I find it all fascinating, the symbolism etc, but as you say, it's a trip that needs proper planning to make it 'right' for me.
That opportunity hasn't come yet, but it will.

I've a very good mate who collects third reich memorabilia. Some amazing stuff.
I find it all fascinating, the symbolism etc, but as you say, it's a trip that needs proper planning to make it 'right' for me.
That opportunity hasn't come yet, but it will.

The guest house we stayed at was called the " Shell Hole ".

I don't know whether it's still going, but it was run by an ex squaddie, who'd married a local girl. He was a top lad and I'd recommend it as a place to stay. He kept the bar open for us until the early hours and allowed us to unmercifully wum an American guest who was an absolute tool.

Nice to read all these comments. I approached Darren Griffiths regarding this project and he was very supportive. I also got the Commonwealth War Graves Commission on board. They will give us a dedicated page on their site and said what we are doing is unique. Makes me feel very proud. What makes it really incredible is the scale of supporter involvement. This is so much more than just listing the names of those who fell in a Club publication. I truly hope loads of fans visit the sites and send their photos on. We are a special club and this is just an example of what separates us from the rest. On the 31st July I will be in Belgium as I am lucky to have obtained tickets for the Passchendaele ceremony (it's live on BBC) and will pay my respects to Harry Norris and James Brannick. Must remember to take my Everton shirt for the photographs! Thanks everyone. Like I said, you are all special! Chris.Bent

Nice to read all these comments. I approached Darren Griffiths regarding this project and he was very supportive. I also got the Commonwealth War Graves Commission on board. They will give us a dedicated page on their site and said what we are doing is unique. Makes me feel very proud. What makes it really incredible is the scale of supporter involvement. This is so much more than just listing the names of those who fell in a Club publication. I truly hope loads of fans visit the sites and send their photos on. We are a special club and this is just an example of what separates us from the rest. On the 31st July I will be in Belgium as I am lucky to have obtained tickets for the Passchendaele ceremony (it's live on BBC) and will pay my respects to Harry Norris and James Brannick. Must remember to take my Everton shirt for the photographs! Thanks everyone. Like I said, you are all special! Chris.Bent

Nice one mate and lovely words. Am sure the Passchendaele ceremony will be something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.