Pinpointing a moment.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
.... where it all went wrong.

I'll start - the summer of 2017, and we spent in the range of 135,000,000 quid on Davy Klaassen, Sandro Ramirez, Henry Onyekuru, Josh Bowler, Jordan Pickford, Michael Keane, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Wayne Rooney, and Nikola Vlasic. Out of those only Pickford and (because he was a free transfer, albeit on exorbitant wages) Rooney proved value for money. No out-and-out striker signed to replace Lukaku, instead relying on a very young, unproven Calvert-Lewin, a hopeless Sandro and a locker-less Oumar Niasse up-front.

Not to mention a few months later we sacked Koeman and had to pay off the balance of his contract, hired Allardyce, and spunked another 50,000,000 on Tosun and Walcott.

That summer had started so promisingly too, given we had European football to look forward to. For my mind, 2017 was the first very clear indication in the post-Moyes era that the Everton board didn't have a clue.
Where to start mate? So many points in recent history you could point to… I’ll go with getting the kopite rat in, then allowing him to get rid of James and Digne, replacing them with dross and also Sigurdsson being a naughty boy. They were our top 3 creators and we’ve not replaced any of them. Of course, pretty much everything in the moshiri era has been a catastrophic failure, so, when he walked into the club and spent his mates money like he’d been handed a blank cheque is also another place I’d start.

I don't think we have ever recovered from that transfer window. It appears we had Koeman and Walsh making signings independently of each other.

Then in January it got even worse with Tosun and Walcott.
From memory when Lukaku was sold, Koeman said in an interview he wanted "the goals spread around" and that Lukaku didn't suit a pressing style that Koeman wanted to impose. We then went and signed attackers completely lacking pace who wouldn't be able to press - the likes of a 32 year-old Rooney, Sandro, Sigurdsson, Vlasic and Klaassen. Which highlights your point, none of the decision-makers at Everton have then, and seemingly now, ever been on the same page.

Where to start mate? So many points in recent history you could point to… I’ll go with getting the kopite rat in, then allowing him to get rid of James and Digne, replacing them with dross and also Sigurdsson being a naughty boy. They were our top 3 creators and we’ve not replaced any of them. Of course, pretty much everything in the moshiri era has been a catastrophic failure, so, when he walked into the club and spent his mates money like he’d been handed a blank cheque is also another place I’d start.
Haha, yeah. I was thinking from when Moshiri walked through the door at Goodison in 2016...... so many disasters in the past seven years, but for me the summer of 2017 was a catastrophe when we had a real opportunity to push on - a large transfer budget and European qualification. Perhaps the mitigating factor there to dull the optimism is that we had Koeman as manager who clearly couldn't give a toss about Everton and was waiting for Barca / the Netherlands national team to come calling.

Newcastle must be laughing that we’re a walking demonstration for them on how not to operate a football club.
They’ve spent smartly, to their needs. Players are young, and have resale value.

We, by contrast, have spent on “names”, got ourselves caught up in Premier League over inflation,
with Keane, Walcott, Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin, Bolasie and Iwobi amongst the names who simply were not the right fit for us. To this day, only Lukaku and Richarlison we’ve made a profit on, the rest, released or sold for next to nothing.
I agree with a lot of your post, but Newcastle big signings include Pope, Trippier, Wood and Burns. All premier league “old” players prob with little resale value.
The difference is they have come in bought experience and professionalism.
something in our culture, that has seen players come in a take the foot off the gas

.... where it all went wrong.

I'll start - the summer of 2017, and we spent in the range of 135,000,000 quid on Davy Klaassen, Sandro Ramirez, Henry Onyekuru, Josh Bowler, Jordan Pickford, Michael Keane, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Wayne Rooney, and Nikola Vlasic. Out of those only Pickford and (because he was a free transfer, albeit on exorbitant wages) Rooney proved value for money. No out-and-out striker signed to replace Lukaku, instead relying on a very young, unproven Calvert-Lewin, a hopeless Sandro and a locker-less Oumar Niasse up-front.

Not to mention a few months later we sacked Koeman and had to pay off the balance of his contract, hired Allardyce, and spunked another 50,000,000 on Tosun and Walcott.

That summer had started so promisingly too, given we had European football to look forward to. For my mind, 2017 was the first very clear indication in the post-Moyes era that the Everton board didn't have a clue.
When Howard Kendall left the first time

Everybody has different views on different milestones.

The one constant though has been Kenwright.

The only thing he’s ever got right was giving Moyes a chance, the rest of what followed was down to Moyes.

From memory when Lukaku was sold, Koeman said in an interview he wanted "the goals spread around" and that Lukaku didn't suit a pressing style that Koeman wanted to impose. We then went and signed attackers completely lacking pace who wouldn't be able to press - the likes of a 32 year-old Rooney, Sandro, Sigurdsson, Vlasic and Klaassen. Which highlights your point, none of the decision-makers at Everton have then, and seemingly now, ever been on the same page.

I remember thinking/preying that Walsh had uncovered a gem with Sandro...

Th

Ths for certain and Moshiri clearly did not question why he had failed to achieve any investment in 17 years a fact which would raise suspicion in any competent billionaire. The record shows we were living hand to mouth under Kenwright aided and abetted by his cronies.
Let’s face it the “competent billionaire” in the equation was Uzmanov, the reality of it is Moshiri was a very well paid employee of Uzmanov who was doing a “cleaning job” for him to put it politely!
As soon as the sanctions hit Putins mates we were always going to suffer, and the cash dry up!
Not sure there are many decisions Moshiri has made since, including allowing Kenwright still to have a seat at the trough, that would justify him being competent!

I agree with a lot of your post, but Newcastle big signings include Pope, Trippier, Wood and Burns. All premier league “old” players prob with little resale value.
The difference is they have come in bought experience and professionalism.
something in our culture, that has seen players come in a take the foot off the gas

It’s all about balance.

At 30, Nick Pope can still be considered young. Ask Brad Friedel, Lloris etc.

At time of signing
Guimaraes - 24
Isak - 22
Botman - 22

Core of the side right there, and they were all under 25. Meanwhile we were paying £45m for a player at his peak performance, who was only going to
Regress.

Status
Not open for further replies.