Pinpointing a moment.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toffee in Jandals

Player Valuation: £35m
.... where it all went wrong.

I'll start - the summer of 2017, and we spent in the range of 135,000,000 quid on Davy Klaassen, Sandro Ramirez, Henry Onyekuru, Josh Bowler, Jordan Pickford, Michael Keane, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Wayne Rooney, and Nikola Vlasic. Out of those only Pickford and (because he was a free transfer, albeit on exorbitant wages) Rooney proved value for money. No out-and-out striker signed to replace Lukaku, instead relying on a very young, unproven Calvert-Lewin, a hopeless Sandro and a locker-less Oumar Niasse up-front.

Not to mention a few months later we sacked Koeman and had to pay off the balance of his contract, hired Allardyce, and spunked another 50,000,000 on Tosun and Walcott.

That summer had started so promisingly too, given we had European football to look forward to. For my mind, 2017 was the first very clear indication in the post-Moyes era that the Everton board didn't have a clue.

When Ancelotti did a runner on us, and then we hired Benitez as his replacement! I think if Carlo stuck around we'd be fine, but when he left we were snookered good and proper.

Benitez drove out players like James Rodriguez and Lucas Digne, and that whole period created this horrible atmosphere within the club and amongst the fanbase.

There was lot's of factors that caused this mess, but Carlo leaving was the final knockout blow imo.

It was that moment that put us on the back foot ever since. Quite how we ended up with three players for the same position, (not including Barkley who was already here) all as mobile as each other I will never know. I assume Sigurdsson was Walsh's, Klaassen was bought for Koeman and Rooney was Kenwright's and Moshiri's choice.

In hindsight Rooney alone would have done that job for 2 years scoring 10 a season while we found the up and coming Sigurdsson or better. Thereafter the decisions make more sense, we had to sell Klaassen and get Rooney off the books as we couldn't afford him and Sigurdsson in the same team so we choice the younger one that cost more money.

Benitez drove out players like James Rodriguez and Lucas Digne, and that whole period created this horrible atmosphere within the club and amongst the fanbase
Absolute nonsense, for a start James had bailed on us the previous season, couldn't even be bothered with the final game, was more interested in his Instagram and jet plane. And Lucas, who was crap under Carlo too, he only had to hang on a few days, everyone knew Rafael was going, if he wanted to stay all he had to do was wait a week, not that we missed him anyway.
There was horrible atmosphere at times within the club before this anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.