Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delighted he'll be ending his career with us as love him both on and off the pitch, he is a superb ambassador for our club.

If his form does drop off he isn't the type to throw his toys out the pram either - he'd just work hard to get back as first choice if he could or be a dependable backup if he couldn't.
Think this is the case.

The extension sorts out a defender for an extra year. He may not be first choice at the end of it, but I suspect a 35 year old Jags will still be able to put a shift in as 3rd or 4th choice, and I also suspect he'd be ok with that. Beats scrounging the scrap heap and having a player of Alcaraz's caliber in that spot.

And who knows, maybe he'll go into coaching and be part of the setup near the end there.

We have been very blessed over the past 10 years or so to have had certain professionals like Jagielka, Osman, Hibbo, Baines, Neville, Cahill. Whatever their rights or wrongs on the pitch (looking at Neville here), they have/had always displayed a great attitude towards representing the club, with total honesty, no whingeing and moaning, and respecting why they are lucky to be there.

No he hasn't.

Indeed, when he joined Everton we first played him at right back, then central mid (unbelieving keeping Carsley on the bench in a UEFA game) and only then he moved to centre-half. At Sheff Utd they played him anywhere he was needed, including in goal!

I'd be delighted if he can go on like Waggy or Richard Gough playing well into his late 30s.

Can't really say much else about the man not already said on the last couple of pages. Just admire his ability to bounce back and not moan. Losing his place to Heitinga and winning it back with aplomb speaks volumes. Class is permanent form is temporary etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.