Peter Cavanagh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also he got banned a few years ago for betting against Accrington while playing for them, didn't he?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Cavanagh

Peter Cavanagh has retired from football and left Southport just two months after signing for them to join Everton's coaching staff.

The 33-year-old midfielder had agreed to move to the Sandgrounders on a player-coach role for the season.

He will take a role coaching the academy at the Premier League side as part of Roberto Martinez's staff.

"I'm obviously disappointed to lose Peter but I understand his decision," said Southport boss Paul Carden.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33361088

Anyone know anything about this guy?

I heard that he was part of the youth team at Liverpool, but left for Accrington Stanley in September 2001 after realising he did not have a future at Anfield.

He was appointed as captain soon after joining in 2001, and scored 22 goals in 226 league games in an eight-year career. He skippered the club to the Northern Premier League Cup and Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy in 2002, the Northern Premier League title in 2002–03, and Conference National title in 2005–06.

Ban from football[edit]
In July 2009, Accrington players Jay Harris, Robert Williams, David Mannix, and Andrew Mangan received 5–12-month bans for betting against their own club.[3] Cavanagh's case was held at a later date.[4] On 7 April 2009 Cavanagh was charged by the FA for breaching betting rules, being alleged to have placed a £5 bet on Accrington losing to Bury in the last match of the 2008–09 season. Bury won the match 2–0.[5] On 10 August 2009, he was fined £3,500 and suspended from competitive football for eight months.[6]

Return to football with Fleetwood Town[edit]
Following the end of his ban, Cavanagh signed with Fleetwood Town in June 2010.[7]

Rochdale[edit]
On 8 June 2012, Cavangh joined Football League Two side Rochdale on a free transfer, linking up with former manager John Coleman.[8]

Altrincham[edit]
After his release from Rochdale, Peter joined Altrincham.[9]

Southport[edit]
He then signed for southport in May 2015 as a player coach along side manager Paul Carden.

Honours[edit]
with Accrington Stanley

We've poached him from liverpools academy.

The majority of coaches there are part time so it might not be mentioned in his history but he was the main coach for there u11 or u12s.

I also know him a bit personally from his Accrington days. His brother was the lad killed in town, Andrew Cavanagh.

.......if you want an insight into his character have a look at his 'horror tackle' on You Tube when he played for Accrington against Exeter. Be good if somebody can upload.

We've poached him from liverpools academy.

The majority of coaches there are part time so it might not be mentioned in his history but he was the main coach for there u11 or u12s.

I also know him a bit personally from his Accrington days. His brother was the lad killed in town, Andrew Cavanagh.

His brother was Anthony Cavanagh.

Status
Not open for further replies.