Penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

zirc

Player Valuation: £40m
All of the whinging on the radio and print media about Navas not getting a pen Wednesday got me thinking. We have scored the third most goals in the league, yet have not been awarded a single penalty in any competition this season. The other two teams not to have a pen are Newcastle and Norwich, which is hardly surprising considering their relative lack of firepower. On the other hand, Leicester have gotten 8 pens yet have scored only one more goal than we have, which includes the 7 they have scored from those penalties.

My question is, why is this the case? You would think that with our final 3rd possession and the pace of our attack, we'd surely have forced at least one mistake from an opposing defender in their box. It's a bit lazy to assume that ref or media bias plays into it, but what do we need to do? Put more pressure on the refs, both on the pitch and to the cameras? Get better at diving? Because honestly it's quite the anomaly that a team with our attack hasn't been given a single one all season.

I wonder if it's a sort of statistical aberration that will revert to the mean over the rest of the season, or there is something fundamental about Roberto's way of playing that leads us to not getting decisions. If I compare us and Leicester, for example, there's not a lot of difference in our attack aside from the fact that they are perhaps a bit more counterattacking and we are a bit more possession based. They can hardly be called a media favourite though nor is their ground intimidating in a relative sense, so where is the difference? If we had gotten 8 pennos this season we'd probs be sitting top 4 right now.

Because :
1) We are only Everton and we are in the middle of the table where we belong according to officials -
2)Deulefeu won't get a penalty because he is already good enough without penalizing defenders - and he tends to over dramatize the foul
3)Lukaku is too big and strong so "nobody can bring him down" and he is a bad actor on top of that -
4)We play without a pacy left wing like Mirallas who is good at running at defenders - but prefer slower ones like Osman and Cleverly who never run into the box.
How many penalties have we conceded compared to other teams though? that could be interesting

Over dramatising the foul.

We are dealing with human error. Leicester's front 2 are good at moving quickly and the slightest touch sends them tumbling with conviction. Suarez was the master at this the ****.

Our players do not actively go looking for pen opportunities so refs look on our players going over as a desperate attempt. Very frustrating as we have been denied several clear pens this season whilst having a few very harshly awarded against us.

Navas's was never a penalty. He was hardly touched, but he made sure it looked like he was about to turn his marker.

We need to practice diving.
th
sign him up Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.