Paul Wilson - Guardian journalist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is something of a miscommunication.

I think you have interpreted his comment as Martinez and Evertonians being happy with a 4-0 result BEFORE kick off. This is clearly not the case. There is not an Evertonian or manager of any sort that would take a loss before the match.

Where as Paul has taken that rather sensationalist viewpoint from a half time perspective. Half time at 3-0 down, we had had one shot on target and hadn't really been in the game and after 5 minutes of the second half we conceded again - as such I think 4-0 flattered us when you consider our horrendous performance, Sturridge missing a penalty and the countless other chances they missed it could have very easily been 6 or 7, and a lot more embarrassing. That's his logic.

Were you happy or ecstatic Cooks ?

Well once they missed the penalty yeah you'd have to say maybe it became damage limitation so I see his point,coming from a house of reds and older brother who never let me forget THE 5-0 game I would say 4-0 is a hammering but 5-0 is an absolute rout

Well once they missed the penalty yeah you'd have to say maybe it became damage limitation so I see his point,coming from a house of reds and older brother who never let me forget THE 5-0 game I would say 4-0 is a hammering but 5-0 is an absolute rout

...I remember us winning 4-0 at their place in '64 (I think), with a number of youngsters playing. When we've been smashed I always bring this up, but not many remember 50 years ago. Shame.

...I remember us winning 4-0 at their place in '64 (I think), with a number of youngsters playing. When we've been smashed I always bring this up, but not many remember 50 years ago. Shame.

And yet they still wax lyrical about that dark day in 82

At half time I was thinking "God, this is terrible, but if we get one more quickly in the second half we could get something."

My actual thoughts included expletives mind, in place of 'God' and 'terrible'.

So no, at that point I wasn't happy to settle for 4-0 in the slightest.

I think this is something of a miscommunication.

I think you have interpreted his comment as Martinez and Evertonians being happy with a 4-0 result BEFORE kick off. This is clearly not the case. There is not an Evertonian or manager of any sort that would take a loss before the match.

Where as Paul has taken that rather sensationalist viewpoint from a half time perspective. Half time at 3-0 down, we had had one shot on target and hadn't really been in the game and after 5 minutes of the second half we conceded again - as such I think 4-0 flattered us when you consider our horrendous performance, Sturridge missing a penalty and the countless other chances they missed it could have very easily been 6 or 7, and a lot more embarrassing. That's his logic.

I love how you only post in threads that involve Liverpool.

Fooling noone, lid.

It could have been worse, but the idea you settle for a 4-0 defeat against Liverpool is abhorrent.

To use an analogy, if I fall out of the Upper Gwladys Street stand to the tier below and only break my leg, yes it could have been worse - I could have landed on my head and died.

Doesn't mean I'm happy to settle with a broken leg though.

Given the alternative you gave, I'm pretty sure the broken leg is the least worst scenario!

Given the alternative you gave, I'm pretty sure the broken leg is the least worst scenario!

It is, but the point is still not 'counting my blessings' because things could have been worse.

Losing 4-0 is rubbish. End of story, no excuses. No need for putting into context. Losing 4-0 against Liverpool is terrible, nearly every Evertonian I know has said/believes it is terrible, and it is a stain on an otherwise good season.

Yes I looked that game up Temple - Vernon - Alex Parker missing Brian Harris played full back a certain reserves at that time Colin Harvey and Johnny Morrissey scored, my brother recons Morrissey got the first at the Kop end with a blinder!

When we were 0-4 down and ****e have a penalty, I thought we could lose 0-6 or 0-7. And many Evertonians quits the stadium not even watching the ****e missed a penalty.

This stinks of the ' happy to settle for 7th 'argument.

Is anyone really happy with that? No of course not, relatively speaking we can hope to get 4th? is that too much? no - mayhe it all boils down to your expectations of how our club should do.

4th for me is an incredible achievement, 7th for me? personally, still a cracking achievement, but some like to belittle that even though we're getting by on a shoestring.

As for the original point in hand, we got absolutely slaughtered and 4-0 yes, i was ' happy' to take it considering it should have been 5-0 and possibly more.

It could have been worse, but the idea you settle for a 4-0 defeat against Liverpool is abhorrent.

To use an analogy, if I fall out of the Upper Gwladys Street stand to the tier below and only break my leg, yes it could have been worse - I could have landed on my head and died.

Doesn't mean I'm happy to settle with a broken leg though.

What happened to the person you fell on...how is he/she?...

Status
Not open for further replies.